Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Nobody saying Shepherd was or is the answer, by the way. But for NUFC he was streets ahead of what we're lumbered with now.

Yeah, seems startling how many don't realize it's mostly a discussion regarding who would be better for the club if given a choice between Shepherd or Ashley. Not a discussion about who you'd want as an owner instead of Ashley and people saying they want Shepherd.

Nobody saying Shepherd was or is the answer, by the way. But for NUFC he was streets ahead of what we're lumbered with now.

We are only lumbered with Ashley now because Shepherd sold out to the tune of £40m.

Like he had a choice. :lol:

By the way: "he's a miracle man, the chairman." - Sir Bobby Robson, 2003.

Everyone sucks up to their boss man :lol:

He wasn't his boss in 2006, when he again praised Shepherd's backing of him in his book.

We are only lumbered with Ashley now because Shepherd sold out to the tune of £40m.

To be a business partner with John Hall and sell Newcastle to Ashley? The tail doesn't wag the dog.

We spent £4m on the likes of Bassedas alone. Over the first 4 years of his tenure he was backed very well.

By the way: "he's a miracle man, the chairman." - Sir Bobby Robson, 2003.

We were 13th the season before Bobby was appointed and we finished 11th during his first 2 seasons when he had to rebuild the squad, he did that while making a profit of between £7million and £8 million.  In his third season he spent something like £11.5 million in total and had improved our league position by +2, +2 and +9 positions which brought in extra income which will have made his transfers roughly a neutral cost. 

In total over his managerial career with us he had a net spend which was roughly £21 million while improving our league positions by +31 over the 5 years and had us actually competing in the CL which will/did increase our turnover.

I'd written plenty out about this but I'm not even going to post it, it's that much of a ridiculous argument.

Suffice to say ambitious incompetence is infinitely preferable to sheer malice, and I say that as somebody who hated Freddy Shepherd.

So out of his depth that we finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 5th with him in the seat.

Then again, the balance sheet was s*** viewing.

Robson got him most of those. He is the sole reason for our success under him. Dalgleish's was lucky with inheriting a great team before royally f***ing it up.

Bobby was backed very well with transfer funds with the exception of one summer. We showed a lot of ambition back then.

Not to mention the fact that under Ashley's crock of s***, Robson would have never come to begin with.

But in any case Mick is right, Shepherd and Ashley are both s*** for different reasons.... neither are really the answer.

This is the best summary about this subject - Shepherd was incompetent and his son had far too much involvement in the club as someone who worked for a Players' Agent ; Ashley is just plain malicious, uncaring about the club, and greedy.

He was backed, in other words. You're arguing against yourself here, man.

You didn't claim that he was backed, read your original post again where you claimed that he was backed very well apart from one summer. :lol:

Shepard though rich he is, he'll never have the money to buy out Ashley.

I wouldn't want him back in anyway, if we did get him back then we would certainly just go back the way of ruin he had us the first time around. Though he wanted to increase the capacity at SJP (actually did a couple of times) and would never let the club accept shuck crap commercial deals as Ashley had, he always had a way to piss that money and more up the wall. After SBR he had a thin about sacking manager, great for getting rid of Pardew (though he would probably never have appointed him in the first place), it wouldn't be good for the next manager if he didn't hit the ground running. Also SBR aside, his track record of appointing managers was awful.

There is no way I would want Shepard back.

I enjoyed football when Shepherd was our chairman, call it SBR's squad and that's fine. I also hated many of his decisions as well, and not saying he was ever a fantastic chairman - but compare him to Ashley, a man who is a malicious fucking prick who's sucked every bit of life out of this club and most especially out of the stands.  He's thrown his cheap sporting good brand and ran Keegan out of the club, hired Joe Kinnear twice, and has left Alan Pardew in charge 2 seasons too long. Shepherd was a bellend in his own right for many of the things he did - but some of the best years we've had were under SBR and we still had an ounce of hope and people still dreamed we'd get it right soon or later.

In the summer of 2000 - a year before Robert and Bellamy - we signed Bassedas for £4m and Cort for £7m+. Those are the ones that come to mind.

Robson made a transfer profit during his first 2 seasons at the club.  He did sign players and he also sold players, including the 2 you mention who cost less than the 4 that I previously mentioned. 

I'm quite sure that we didn't go into a transfer deficit until we signed Bellamy ready for Robson's third season and then we spent quite a bit.  I think Robson averaged £4 million a year above what he brought in over the length of his contract.  It's better than what we currently spend but it's hardly a fortune either considering the improvement that was made.

Souness was the one who was given the money and we all know how much of a flop that one turned out to be. 

In the summer of 2000 - a year before Robert and Bellamy - we signed Bassedas for £4m and Cort for £7m+. Those are the ones that come to mind.

Robson made a transfer profit during his first 2 seasons at the club.  He did sign players and he also sold players, including the 2 you mention who cost less than the 4 that I previously mentioned. 

I'm quite sure that we didn't go into a transfer deficit until we signed Bellamy ready for Robson's third season and then we spent quite a bit.  I think Robson averaged £4 million a year above what he brought in over the length of his contract.  It's better than what we currently spend but it's hardly a fortune either considering the improvement that was made.

Souness was the one who was given the money and we all know how much of a flop that one turned out to be. 

I wish Sir Bob was given that money Souness was given man, esp in the season before we crashed out of the Champions League.

I wish Sir Bob was given that money Souness was given man, esp in the season before we crashed out of the Champions League.

The appointment of Souness must go down as the worst one ever for the effect it's had on the club, even if I hate Pardew more than him.

The appointment of Souness must go down as the worst one ever for the effect it's had on the club, even if I hate Pardew more than him.

While it was awful, i think not firing Pardew after the 5th place season, and again after last season, was worse.... And that's to say we should have had a little Chelsea in us and not settled for that f***ing tart and upgraded the manager knowing full on the players were capable of playing.  In fact, had we improved our manager this summer, with a top manager we'd be fighting out for a Europa/CL spot IMO.