Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

For one thing if Shepherd took over the club again - he'd be able to revel in a debt-free club that our Board peddles about, but would be able to get some decent financing (like every other club does, as long as you get good loans and not over-levered you are fine) and we'd be accountable, relevant, and Shep would be in the press reminding people how big of a club we are, can be and will be.

I believe he'd be FAR BETTER then he was last time and infinitely better than Ashley.

We aren't debt free.

We owe mike 120 million?

I know that man, fairly obvious our "asking price" is full-on purchase of club and "debt" to Mike Ashley. The "debt" to Mike should be equity, by the way. But thats for another conversation.

Its just too bad no one is willing to purchase the club at the price fat mike wants.

Judging from the Annual report the debt will remain so fat mike can continue to use us a an advertising vehicle free of charge

Nah, he wouldn't. If he ever had another go and it was after Mike Ashley, he'd do everything opposite - the prospect of being the "Geordie Hero" would actually play in our club's favor, imo.

Fred would raise 5m a season in sponsorhip money, in place of all of the SD signage.

Then pay himself 5m a season in wages and dividends.

Neither for me.

I'd rather have the stadium covered in adverts for local businesses for free than Sports Direct for free.

:lol: Freddie Shepherd thought he was some kind of gangster, man. He may have been a supporter of the club but he was an utter idiot. He took millions for himself and made terrible decisions at pretty much every turn. He's never ever had the intellect to run a football club and he sure as hell hasn't gained that in his time away. Saying he'd be better than Ashley is like saying being kicked in the balls is better than kicking yourself in the balls. You end up with sore bollocks either way.

:lol: Freddie Shepherd thought he was some kind of gangster, man. He may have been a supporter of the club but he was an utter idiot. He took millions for himself and made terrible decisions at pretty much every turn. He's never ever had the intellect to run a football club and he sure as hell hasn't gained that in his time away. Saying he'd be better than Ashley is like saying being kicked in the balls is better than kicking yourself in the balls. You end up with sore bollocks either way.

I dunno man, I have some great memories from when Shepherd was at the helm.

Has Shepherd actually been linked to buying the club btw?

Does he have the money?

linked only in his own delusions. I highly doubt he has anywhere near the cash required to get the club off Ashley on his own and the prospect of a leveraged takeover- ala glazers at man utd- from him (the only possible scenario I can see him getting it on his own) is terrifying. Maybe he'll find a few billionaires to buy the club with him as the public face of it (which would say a lot about their judgement on anything) but if that was going to happen it probably would have before now.

because of the good work of KK and SBR not fucking Shepherd, they succeeded in spite of him not in any way because of him. Every other appointment? Bottom half (exceptions in Dalglish half season with KK's team and Roeder's caretaker run which is just inexpiable) followed by swift sacking which cost the club millions due to his moronic judgement on someones ability to begin with.

Has Shepherd actually been linked to buying the club btw?

Does he have the money?

He'd have to put together a group or company to buy us, if he ever had a chance to do it.  He would likely be a small equity % but want control as Chairman or President and be teamed with either a Private Equity, or Partnership of some kind I imagine.

because of the good work of KK and SBR not f***ing Shepherd, they succeeded in spite of him not in any way because of him. Every other appointment? Bottom half (exceptions in Dalglish half season with KK's team and Roeder's caretaker run which is just inexpiable) followed by swift sacking which cost the club millions due to his moronic judgement on someones ability to begin with.

Exactly. Shepherd took over when? Late 96, early 97? He couldnt keep Keegan there, he made a terrible managerial appointment, he fucked up with the Ferdinand sale and Shearer's injury, he fucked up another appointment, he saw some awful players come in for big fees, he was then gifted Robson who carried the club on his 60 odd year old shoulders until even he couldn't do it any more. He then fucked up more appointments and even bigger horrific transfers until he sold us to a dirty cockney charva.

because of the good work of KK and SBR not f***ing Shepherd, they succeeded in spite of him not in any way because of him. Every other appointment? Bottom half (exceptions in Dalglish half season with KK's team and Roeder's caretaker run which is just inexpiable) followed by swift sacking which cost the club millions due to his moronic judgement on someones ability to begin with.

Exactly. Shepherd took over when? Late 96, early 97? He couldnt keep Keegan there, he made a terrible managerial appointment, he fucked up with the Ferdinand sale and Shearer's injury, he fucked up another appointment, he saw some awful players come in for big fees, he was then gifted Robson who carried the club on his 60 odd year old shoulders until even he couldn't do it any more. He then fucked up more appointments and even bigger horrific transfers until he sold us to a dirty cockney charva.

and lets not forget the fake sheikh business, how the fuck the scumbag wormed his way back into running the club after that I'll never know.

he was too trigger happy and involved to make it sustainable. Even the good times.

He always thought he knew best but at the same time, really cared what the fans thought. Hence all the 'big name' signings.

He wasn't too trigger happy at all, he was good at hiring shite managers.

John Hall was the true brain behind the golden years, not Freddy Shepherd. Fred's only successful appointment of a manager was Bobby Robson who Hall recommended after Keegan left, only to be overruled Hall jr and Fat Fred in favour of Dalglish on one of their Majorca benders.

Agreed. Shepherd was completely out of his depth.

So out of his depth that we finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 5th with him in the seat.

Then again, the balance sheet was s*** viewing.

He wasn't Chairman for the full season when we finished 2nd, John Hall was the chairman at the start of the season.  His 2nd part season saw us finish 13th, if my memory is any good he became chairman during December 1997 and was out on his ear early in 1998 because of the News of the World story.

So out of his depth that we finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd and 5th with him in the seat.

Then again, the balance sheet was s*** viewing.

Robson got him most of those. He is the sole reason for our success under him. Dalgleish's was lucky with inheriting a great team before royally fucking it up.

Bobby was backed very well with transfer funds with the exception of one summer. We showed a lot of ambition back then.