Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The only thing keeping me going at the moment is I'm not the one who has just spent 70m, about to miss out on atleast 100m and about to lose some major advertising revenue...

It's going to be a £180 million black eye for him, and I can only hope that leads to him selling up a lot quicker. He could take this season's TV money out to pay off what the club 'owes' him and then put the For Sale sign up.

If we go down there will be a massive financial black hole and no guarantee of a swift return. The club as an ongoing business would be virtually worthless. You might get someone who just wants to own a club putting up a few quid, but it would be a face-losing loss- is MA prepared to face that?

Ok it might be too late but at least we are now showing g some ambition buy spending big.

I'm not digging at you personally like, but it's really beginning to irritate me now reading and hearing this stupid phrase over and over again. Ambition with regards to what exactly?

'Showing ambition' is appointing and listening to a knowledgeable, clued up director / board of directors and going after a good / successful manager that could potentially win you something. Showing ambition is not appointing the reserve team secretary, Alan Carr's fucking dad and an old, useless puppet of an ex-player and vehemently going after Steve fucking McClaren. Not once, not twice but three times? Don't get me started on the likes of John Carver being given the reigns.

'Showing ambition' is going after players and building a solid team that can win you games. Showing ambition is not getting mostly medicore, half arsed players that don't fit or belong in your team and putting them on 5 and 6 year contracts, in the blind hope that they do well so you can make more money. On a similar note, forcing out and giving away arguably one of your best players and then spending circa £40m trying to replace said player by signing a Ligue 1 flop of the season (who knocked the club back previously), another who was either not interested, not tried or frankly not good enough and then a Spurs cast off who's barely done anything of note nor turned out this season?

That's not ambition, it's fucking stupidity. What's worse, they're only a handful of examples over his 8 year tenure. 8 years. You think Ashley has somehow just now decided he wants to be ambitious with the club? You don't think being on the verge of falling off the gravy train in 18th place is reason enough they are pissing all the club generated revenue up the wall? The whole thing is a massive gamble. Kinnear was a gamble. Carver was a gamble. McClaren and this transfer window will be this years gamble. There's no ambition or plan here aside from propping up the league for the benefit of Sports Direct.

I'm not digging at you personally like, but it's really beginning to irritate me now reading and hearing this stupid phrase over and over again. Ambition with regards to what exactly?

'Showing ambition' is appointing and listening to a knowledgeable, clued up director / board of directors and going after a good / successful manager that could potentially win you something. Showing ambition is not appointing the reserve team secretary, Alan Carr's f***ing dad and an old, useless puppet of an ex-player and vehemently going after Steve f***ing McClaren. Not once, not twice but three times? Don't get me started on the likes of John Carver being given the reigns.

'Showing ambition' is going after players and building a solid team that can win you games. Showing ambition is not getting mostly medicore, half arsed players that don't fit or belong in your team and putting them on 5 and 6 year contracts, in the blind hope that they do well so you can make more money. On a similar note, forcing out and giving away arguably one of your best players and then spending circa £40m trying to replace said player by signing a Ligue 1 flop of the season (who knocked the club back previously), another who was either not interested, not tried or frankly not good enough and then a Spurs cast off who's barely done anything of note nor turned out this season?

That's not ambition, it's f***ing stupidity. What's worse, they're only a handful of examples over his 8 year tenure. 8 years. You think Ashley has somehow just now decided he wants to be ambitious with the club? You don't think being on the verge of falling off the gravy train in 18th place is reason enough they are pissing all the club generated revenue up the wall? The whole thing is a massive gamble. Kinnear was a gamble. Carver was a gamble. McClaren and this transfer window will be this years gamble. There's no ambition or plan here aside from propping up the league for the benefit of Sports Direct.

Absolutely spot on mate

17th is Ashley's ambition - it means, from his point of view, he got it spot on and spent the bare minimum to keep the Premier League money rolling in.  10th place is an admission of failure, that he's inefficiently  wasted money on the footballing side of the business that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Ok it might be too late but at least we are now showing g some ambition buy spending big.

'Showing ambition' is appointing and listening to a knowledgeable, clued up director / board of directors and going after a good / successful manager that could potentially win you something. Showing ambition is not appointing the reserve team secretary, Alan Carr's fucking dad and an old, useless puppet of an ex-player and vehemently going after Steve fucking McClaren. Not once, not twice but three times? Don't get me started on the likes of John Carver being given the reigns.

That's not ambition, it's fucking stupidity. What's worse, they're only a handful of examples over his 8 year tenure. 8 years. You think Ashley has somehow just now decided he wants to be ambitious with the club? You don't think being on the verge of falling off the gravy train in 18th place is reason enough they are pissing all the club generated revenue up the wall? The whole thing is a massive gamble. Kinnear was a gamble. Carver was a gamble. McClaren and this transfer window will be this years gamble. There's no ambition or plan here aside from propping up the league for the benefit of Sports Direct.

Brutally accurate.

17th is Ashley's ambition - it means, from his point of view, he got it spot on and spent the bare minimum to keep the Premier League money rolling in.  10th place is an admission of failure, that he's inefficiently  wasted money on the footballing side of the business that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Well this is probably not true. The higher you end up the bigger the money. I think what he really wants is a interesting team that gets a lot of TV-games thus a LOT of advertisement for Sports Direct.

'Showing ambition' is appointing and listening to a knowledgeable, clued up director / board of directors and going after a good / successful manager that could potentially win you something. Showing ambition is not appointing the reserve team secretary, Alan Carr's f***ing dad and an old, useless puppet of an ex-player and vehemently going after Steve f***ing McClaren. Not once, not twice but three times? Don't get me started on the likes of John Carver being given the reigns.

That's not ambition, it's f***ing stupidity. What's worse, they're only a handful of examples over his 8 year tenure. 8 years. You think Ashley has somehow just now decided he wants to be ambitious with the club? You don't think being on the verge of falling off the gravy train in 18th place is reason enough they are pissing all the club generated revenue up the wall? The whole thing is a massive gamble. Kinnear was a gamble. Carver was a gamble. McClaren and this transfer window will be this years gamble. There's no ambition or plan here aside from propping up the league for the benefit of Sports Direct.

Outstanding post.

Wonderful post.  Sums up the situation perfectly  :clap:

Well this is probably not true. The higher you end up the bigger the money. I think what he really wants is a interesting team that gets a lot of TV-games thus a LOT of advertisement for Sports Direct.

But if you need to spend 20 million on a striker to finish 15th instead of 18th, the extra placement money isn't going to cover it. And Sky and BT will be more interested in showing our games if we look like we might go down than if we're safe and no longer have anything to play for.

The games where we have the most worldwide viewership for our billboards aren't because of us being exciting, it's because we're jobbing to Man U or Liverpool, and you get those games on TV no matter who you are.

But if you need to spend 20 million on a striker to finish 15th instead of 18th, the extra placement money isn't going to cover it. And Sky and BT will be more interested in showing our games if we look like we might go down than if we're safe and no longer have anything to play for.

The games where we have the most worldwide viewership for our billboards aren't because of us being exciting, it's because we're jobbing to Man U or Liverpool, and you get those games on TV no matter who you are.

You are probabky right, and there is little point trying to speculate what Ashley wants. SD is the one that is making money and NUFC is just a way/hobby to advertise it and it sometimes costs money. Now we are using money that has been pocketed recent years.

And all so predictable.

Yep spot on JS. There are so many gullible people that believe he's trying progress us, when ultimately none of this spending would have happened if we'd have been mid table.

Personally I hope it blows up in the fat cunts face.

Boom. Thoughts into words there. Great post, well said.

Brutally accurate.

..and totally correct - great post JS.

What is baffling is how much cheaper it would be for him to just attempt to hire knowledgeable people compared to the likes of Charnley, who would in turn run the club well, and create a structure within the club. Instead he just has some yes-men do the bare minimum and then panic-buy once it looks like relegation. Maybe in 10 years' time he will realise running a football club is not the same as selling crappy t-shirts. If the team is shit you can't always bail it out in January with money.

Brutally accurate.

..and totally correct - great post JS.

Agreed. What a post JS!