Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

KK sticking the boot in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36268886

Former Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has criticised current owner Mike Ashley with the club on the brink of relegation from the Premier League.

Newcastle, who have one game left, against Tottenham on Sunday, could be relegated on Tuesday if Sunderland win their game in hand against Everton.

"The owner has had quite a lot of years of making a lot of mistakes," Keegan, 65, told BBC Sport.

"They are going to have to go down and regroup. That's not going to be easy."

He added: "You have to look at Mike Ashley and say he hasn't handled the decision-making very well or he's given the responsibility to people and they haven't handled it very well.

"You make mistakes in football and you get punished, especially the Premier League now. The owner has had quite a lot of years of making a lot of mistakes. They are where they are and I think they will go down but they'll bounce back."

The Magpies' only realistic hope of staying up is for Sunderland to pick up a maximum of one point at home to Everton and at Watford on Sunday, while United would need to beat second-placed Spurs at St James' Park.

'Poor players drag down the good ones'

Newcastle have only missed two Premier League seasons - in 1992-93 and 2009-10 they were in the second tier - but face a return to the Championship following a campaign in which they have won just eight league games.

Having spent close to £80m on new signings during the summer and winter transfer windows, Keegan feels the club targeted the wrong signings.

"It is mismanagement from the very top," he said. "They bought players for the future but sometimes maybe you have to buy players for the present.

"It's all right having a few good young players from France but can they play in the Premier League now?

"If they can't - don't buy them or certainly don't play them. A few of them have found it very tough and the confidence goes and then even good players start to look pretty poor."

'Looking for miracles under Benitez'

Former England manager Steve McClaren began the season as boss, but was sacked after winning just six of his 28 Premier League games, leaving the club 19th in the table.

Spaniard Rafael Benitez, the former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager, was put in charge to try to recover the season but two victories in the following nine league games leave the Magpies staring at relegation.

"They started the season with Steve McClaren," said Keegan. "He struggled and I guess he and the guys at the club kept thinking he would get it sorted out and he didn't.

"They left it very late and appointed Rafael Benitez and by that time you are looking for almost miracles as you need a lot of points from a few games.

"Benitez might fancy it. It is a big club. Once you go there and manage it, it does impress you as a club. The stadium is impressive, the fans and their passion is something that you can't help but like and want to be part of.

"He hasn't managed in the Championship - would that be a worry? I don't think so for a man of his experience. It might be a really good experience for him."

Keegan was speaking to BBC World Service's Steve Crossman

"Benitez might fancy it. It is a big club. Once you go there and manage it, it does impress you as a club. The stadium is impressive, the fans and their passion is something that you can't help but like and want to be part of.

"He hasn't managed in the Championship - would that be a worry? I don't think so for a man of his experience. It might be a really good experience for him."

Keegan just can't contemplate someone not wanting to be Newcastle manager. :lol:

Keegan just can't contemplate someone not wanting to be Newcastle manager. :lol:

hate the fact he always seems to give shit managers an easy ride like, we're not in the position because of signing "a few good young players from france"

hate the fact he always seems to give shit managers an easy ride like, we're not in the position because of signing "a few good young players from france"

Keegan had to jack in a job he loved because of our transfer policy. He's always going to have a dig at that when he's asked to speak about Ashley. You are 100% right about hiring shit managers being more critical than the players, but you can understand why Keegan will always target the running of the club and the transfer policy.

KK on the money as always. Was arguing with some twat on the Total Sport FB page earlier - had a right pop at Keegan and was bigging up Ashley. :( He blocked me when I asked if he worked for NUFC or Keith Bishop! :D

These people are out there.

The BBC man, terrible fact finding "...could be relegated on Tuesday..." I think you'll find it's today, Wednesday and "...is for Sunderland to get a maximum of a point at home to Everton and at Watford on Sunday..." that would put them on equal points with us if we win but with a far superior goal difference so we'll still be down.

KK though, can't help but love the guy, went in too easy on McClaren though, the guy deserves to shoulder a lot of the blame.

Congratulations, Mike. Second relegation during your stint in charge :clap:

It took some doing to reduce us to such a shadow of our former selves...but you managed it :clap:

I hope you die.

:thup:

Dunno how he can live with himself the horrible cunt.

This guy has ruined any love and emotion I had for the club. I honestly feel like wrapping in following football altogether. This place is probably the only thing keeping me vaguely interested :lol:

This guy has ruined any love and emotion I had for the club. I honestly feel like wrapping in following football altogether. This place is probably the only thing keeping me vaguely interested :lol:

I only wish it was easier to forget about it TBH.

Congratulations, Mike. Second relegation during your stint in charge :clap:

It took some doing to reduce us to such a shadow of our former selves...but you managed it :clap:

I hope you die.

:thup:

Dunno how he can live with himself the horrible cunt.

Managed to fuck over an entire working class city who he has no affection for. The bloke will be positively 1" erect.

Mike Ashley, I hope you fall out of your helicopter, land on one of your shit horrible shops, roll off the roof, into the gutter while small children, wearing cheap lonsdale trainers, stamp across your broken body until you die.