Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

It was in his interests to appear more human in the face of all the scrutiny and bad publicity over the past 12-18 months; he had to come out of the dark and shake off the comic book villain 'in the shadows' persona. Fortunately he's as much of a cockroach as we all suspected, so his appearances in the media have done little to take the heat off.

I actually think he came across OK.

I know he has done none of us any favours and only appointed Rafa as a last resort to save his flagging Newcastle United investments but, the whole point of this interview was to answer questions that arose as a result of the parliamentary enquiry into working conditions at Sports Direct... 

In context that business is enormous and he has tried to retain 100% control over every aspect of it, of course only focusing on the bits that make him money.  Hence the HR and day to day concerns of the people that work for him have not been his priority - until now!  He seems to be trying to correct some of the problems, zero hours contracts are not his idea, they are a thing that seems to have happened and developed over recent years.  These suit some people and don't suit others.  So he says he will give contracts that guarantee a minimum number of hours to anyone who wants one, fair enough?  He pays what the government tell him is the minimum wage, if it was higher he would pay the higher amount, he said it, he does not set these rules.

On the topic of him having a wedge of cash in his pocket....  well why not?  He is wealthy, he has risked everything to make his business successful and it paid off.  Some of the things he has done are shady - the float and subsequent buy back for example - has pissed off the stock market but, it was not illegal, in the end the stock market itself is as shady as anything he has personally done! 

I still hate what he has done to our club but, I don't hate him for being successful at business.

I know he has done none of us any favours and only appointed Rafa as a last resort to save his flagging Newcastle United investments but, the whole point of this interview was to answer questions that arose as a result of the parliamentary enquiry into working conditions at Sports Direct... 

In context that business is enormous and he has tried to retain 100% control over every aspect of it, of course only focusing on the bits that make him money.  Hence the HR and day to day concerns of the people that work for him have not been his priority - until now!  He seems to be trying to correct some of the problems, zero hours contracts are not his idea, they are a thing that seems to have happened and developed over recent years.  These suit some people and don't suit others.  So he says he will give contracts that guarantee a minimum number of hours to anyone who wants one, fair enough?  He pays what the government tell him is the minimum wage, if it was higher he would pay the higher amount, he said it, he does not set these rules.

On the topic of him having a wedge of cash in his pocket....  well why not?  He is wealthy, he has risked everything to make his business successful and it paid off.  Some of the things he has done are shady - the float and subsequent buy back for example - has p*ssed off the stock market but, it was not illegal, in the end the stock market itself is as shady as anything he has personally done! 

I still hate what he has done to our club but, I don't hate him for being successful at business.

I agree, think he came across pretty well tbh.

On the topic of him having a wedge of cash in his pocket....  well why not?  He is wealthy, he has risked everything to make his business successful and it paid off.  Some of the things he has done are shady - the float and subsequent buy back for example - has p*ssed off the stock market but, it was not illegal, in the end the stock market itself is as shady as anything he has personally done! 

I agree, think he came across pretty well tbh.

What's happening is positive but he always needs a chinese burn into doing the right thing, usually in retrospect of something awful having to happen. It's just embarrassing for us as much as anything.

He doesn't seem to be very proactive in the running of his businesses, its always the bottom line of cost.  While this is massively important to all businesses, when you have employees working for you then their health and safety should be number 1 priority.

He is only reacting to this situation because of the light which has been shed on his awful business practices, he only wants to keep share holders happy.  He is not doing this from the goodness of his heart.   

:lol: "the government set minimum wage, what am I supposed to do?"

Pay more than the minimum wage? Especially to those contracted for 30 minutes of work every month. Maybe then you'd get a few non scumbag charvs applying for jobs there.

Choosing the right people to run his businesses his the hardest thing for him to do, but he must be good at it. The current CEO at the training company I work at will close it in 18 months due to him being a complete moron.

Involement

£80,000,000M is one hell of a revenue drop

Didn't sell Coloccini

That whole report is just tip of the iceberg stuff for most knowledgeable fans tbh

:thup: think it's just beneficial for non-nufc fans to hear this from a non-geordie perspective.