Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Very sound post UV. Spurs model is a very good one, if it can be sustained and if it actually leads to success in the end.

It doesn't change the fact that pre-Ashley we were accumulating large debts at a rate we couldn't afford though. Neither of our recent regimes have really had the right approach. We are definitely more financially sustainable under Ashley mind, that's a fact. The problem is the price we pay in terms of progress on the pitch.

Very sound post UV. Spurs model is a very good one, if it can be sustained and if it actually leads to success in the end.

It doesn't change the fact that pre-Ashley we were accumulating large debts at a rate we couldn't afford though. Neither of our recent regimes have really had the right approach. We are definitely more financially sustainable under Ashley mind, that's a fact. The problem is the price we pay in terms of progress on the pitch.

Spending some money on appointing a competent manager would be logical step to putting that right. Why he hasn't done it just beggars belief.

Guest reefatoon

Ooohh, I feel another financial ding dong on the cards.  Best go gouge my eyes out so I don't have to read it.

Spending some money on appointing a competent manager would be logical step to putting that right. Why he hasn't done it just beggars belief.

Always the cheap option.

I do wonder about this myself. It's very weird... with Graham Carr he obviously realises that he has someone who can get him a great deal for his money. Not sure why he doesn't apply the same principle to the rest of the staff. Maybe the good managers are too expensive, won't work with the regime, or maybe he just doesn't know how to choose someone.

Guest reefatoon

I do wonder about this myself. It's very weird... with Graham Carr he obviously realises that he has someone who can get him a great deal for his money. Not sure why he doesn't apply the same principle to the rest of the staff. Maybe the good managers are too expensive, won't work with the regime, or maybe he just doesn't know how to choose someone.

I think it could be a mix of all three.

Most frustrating thing is we are so close to being a soundly run football club, it's not even major changes that need to take place, just tweaks here and there but it’s not looking likely to ever happen. I actually like a lot of the way Ashley goes about things but his major lack of ambition for this football club is massively holding us back and we really need him out asap.

Most frustrating thing is we are so close to being a soundly run football club, it's not even major changes that need to take place, just tweaks here and there but it’s not looking likely to ever happen. I actually like a lot of the way Ashley goes about things but his major lack of ambition for this football club is massively holding us back and we really need him out asap.

My view as well, although needing him out is obviously contingent on there being a mega-rich owner willing to spend what it takes waiting to come in.

I think he feels he got his fingers burned with Allardyce and Keegan which was followed by the Shearer business. I can understand it to some extent, there are a lot of big names out there whose results don't always match up to their reputations. But that's football, it's the same for every other club in the premier. This is a massive worldwide business, if you try to cut corners it will come back and bite you on the arse.

Good post Ian.

I think a big part of our problem is we just become too stubborn in the transfer market.

We want to put ourselves above the brinksmanship other clubs play when trying to buy players but it's really frustrating missing out on a target for the sake of a couple of million or a  couple of grand a week.

More financially sustainable than what? The Hall/Shepherd regime? Yes, probably. Hall/Shepherd speculated to accumulate and while it worked brilliantly for a while, it went south due to putting their (Shepherd's) trust in the wrong man towards the end. However, during Ashley's tenure we have lost a lot of ground on other clubs, financially as well as on the pitch. Our commercial revenue has decreased significantly where other clubs have seen theirs soar. The null interest on the loan is partly, if not entirely, offset by the free Sports Direct advertising at the expense of other, revenue generating advertisement space around the ground. His policies have led directly to a relegation, which will have cost tens of millions alone. We may be relatively stable now, having posted small profits in the previous two years, but the club is not operating to its potential at all under Ashley, both on the pitch and in terms of financial performance. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Edit: shameless steal from Happy Face over at ToonTastic that illustrates this point better than a thousand words could:

http://i41.tinypic.com/161l5ao.jpg

Guess which one we are...  :hmm:

More financially sustainable than what? The Hall/Shepherd regime? Yes, probably. Hall/Shepherd speculated to accumulate and while it worked brilliantly for a while, it went south due to putting their (Shepherd's) trust in the wrong man towards the end. However, during Ashley's tenure we have lost a lot of ground on other clubs, financially as well as on the pitch. Our commercial revenue has decreased significantly where other clubs have seen theirs soar. The null interest on the loan is partly, if not entirely, offset by the free Sports Direct advertising at the expense of other, revenue generating advertisement space around the ground. His policies have led directly to a relegation, which will have cost tens of millions alone. We may be relatively stable now, having posted small profits in the previous two years, but the club is not operating to its potential at all under Ashley, both on the pitch and in terms of financial performance. Let's not pretend otherwise.

YES

Guest strongbow69

:thup: spot on

My view as well, although needing him out is obviously contingent on there being a mega-rich owner willing to spend what it takes waiting to come in.

Personally I think we are a million miles away.

:thup: spot on

Another great post.

This is the sort of thing all of the 'NUFC Supporters/Fans Group/Trusts' should be preaching to all the fans via facebook/blog/email etc. Hell even have people giving them out around the ground in leaflets so people know the true running of the club.

It's either negligence/incompetence or a mixture.

We're only going one way under him

I don't pretend we're reaching our full potential, we could clearly achieve more.

The Shepherd/Hall regime was flawed for a lot of reasons, mainly that it was based on short-term success gained by unsustainable transfer spending. The debt was getting out of control and sooner or later it was going to get called in, especially with the credit situation getting rapidly worse.

:clap:

Ashamed to say I honestly never knew Alan Sugar owned Spurs at one point, thought he was just another famous fan.  :blush:

only discovered it a few years ago myself  :blush:

in my defense I was young at the time he did own it

Oh what a shame, you missed out on Sugar's Klinsman hissy fit, on footy foucs where he chucks Kilnsmans shirt at the reporter.  :lol:

:clap:

Ashamed to say I honestly never knew Alan Sugar owned Spurs at one point, thought he was just another famous fan.  :blush:

only discovered it a few years ago myself  :blush:

in my defense I was young at the time he did own it

Oh what a shame, you missed out on Sugar's Klinsman hissy fit, on footy foucs where he chucks Kilnsmans shirt at the reporter.  :lol:

he what?! I know now in retrospect he wasn't happy but that?!  :lol: