Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I remember it all from the early 80's when I started going, and the time in the 90's under Keegan and Robson, was a good blip. The rest of my time supporting us, it has been years of utter depressing s****.  God, some of it was grim.

Too right it was grim watching such superstars as Malcolm brown,Wayne fereday and the powerhouse striker that was tony Cunningham...then we all get excited at Micky Quinn. Very much like the mackems at this time we were fed on a diet of 2nd division dross

Leeds FFS

1st they'd have to buy there stadium and training ground, then increase the capacity, then fill it consistently

get promoted, replace the whole squad etc just to get up to us.

We are a decent owner and manager and a couple of players away from being regular top 7

Leeds FFS

1st they'd have to buy there stadium and training ground, then increase the capacity, then fill it consistently

We are a decent owner and manager and a couple of players away from being regular top 7

That argument doesn't stand up as every team is a decent owner and manager away from being a top 7 regular...Leeds hit the skids and had to scrap to survive very much like we would have to in the same circumstance

all these clubs in the championship that have experienced top success since the 70s are a good owner and manager away from being a Swansea a west brim or Norwich etc....FFS Southampton were a league 1 club 4 years ago now they are spending 40m plus a season in the prem...blowing us out of the water..football can change so quickly

Let's see where we are this time next year.. I very much doubt it will be as a premier league team

Leeds FFS

That argument doesn't stand up as every team is a decent owner and manager away from being a top 7 regular...Leeds hit the skids and had to scrap to survive very much like we would have to in the same circumstance

all these clubs in the championship that have experienced top success since the 70s are a good owner and manager away from being a Swansea a west brim or Norwich etc....FFS Southampton were a league 1 club 4 years ago now they are spending 40m plus a season in the prem...blowing us out of the water..football can change so quickly

Let's see where we are this time next year.. I very much doubt it will be as a premier league team

Not to mention the value increase in going from the Championship to the PL is much greater than turning a mid-table side into a top-7 team.

Now if you have oil money and want a CL contender then that would be a) more high profile and b) lucrative. But if you're only kind of rich, then taking a lower league club to the Premier League is a much better return on investment.

on the subjest of shit/ good. I started going in early 70s with my dad- properly started going when keegan signed- away games, season tickets etc. gave up season tickets late 90s and only go occaisionally now.

Most of the time we have been a shit selling club. the jim Smith era sticks with me as a mega grim time. :(

Guest chicken little

Most of the time we have been a s*** selling club. the jim Smith era sticks with me as a mega grim time. :(

At least from that time we got Watson, Clark, Elliott, Howey.. maybe that was a fluke (couple of) year (s), but it probably matches the youth set-up's entire contribution to the first team since the Hall takeover* - perhaps it was case of necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

Urgh, now I'm sat here thinking about 1990-92. Rancid seasons.

* - Hughes, Harper, Taylor, Ameobi...?

Most of the time we have been a s*** selling club. the jim Smith era sticks with me as a mega grim time. :(

At least from that time we got Watson, Clark, Elliott, Howey.. maybe that was a fluke (couple of) year (s), but it probably matches the youth set-up's entire contribution to the first team since the Hall takeover* - perhaps it was case of necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

Urgh, now I'm sat here thinking about 1991-92. Rancid season.

* - Hughes, Harper, Taylor, Ameobi...?

grimmest time for me ever as a fan, after we lost the play offs to Sunderland until Ardiles was sacked was just shit tbh.

Also, it would be at least fairly useful if I could trust the numbers they do have, but considering most transfer fees etc are never released, much of it is guess work.

And if I were guessing, I'd say there is no chance we got £18 million for Enrique and Bassong.

Guest neesy111

Pretty flawed article since it doesn't take salaries, signing on fees and whatnot into account.

Salaries should bump the figure up not down, considering our wage bill is quite a bit less than it was when Ashley took over.

Pretty flawed article since it doesn't take salaries, signing on fees and whatnot into account.

the problem is i've never heard anyone or clubs includes those into account when talking about transfers revenue, even we ourselves included those expense only after Ashley took over the club. supposedly those should be paid by tickets,merchandising and advertisement

Also, it would be at least fairly useful if I could trust the numbers they do have, but considering most transfer fees etc are never released, much of it is guess work.

And if I were guessing, I'd say there is no chance we got £18 million for Enrique and Bassong.

We did get £10 million for Bassong, the Enrique fee is the only one that looks out to me from going through the full list.

the problem is i've never heard anyone or clubs includes those into account when talking about transfers revenue, even we ourselves included those expense only after Ashley took over the club. supposedly those should be paid by tickets,merchandising and advertisement

:lol:

:lol:

yup only if we're paid  :lol:

Finance detail and location aside. This guy is fucking us over royally; in a football sense, the enjoyment of being a football fan and in respecting us as intelligent (on the whole) human beings. This is regardless of whether it is intended or not. Anyone not on concerned with any of the above can pack up their troubles and fuck off. I'd take 17th in a heartbeat if is meant this maniacal turd fucked off at the end of the season.

Wages are an operating cost and shouldn't really be taken into account, otherwise you should take into account tv income etc. agents fees on the deal is probably fair enough, it's part of the transfer fee.

We did get £10 million for Bassong, the Enrique fee is the only one that looks out to me from going through the full list.

Don't believe it, if we're going off of figures in the press, the majority said £8m.

Anyway, the point's moot because we have no real idea, much like the article which is basically made up shit.

All that matters is is the current state of the squad, and if we have made a profit, what that remaining money is spent on or whether it has left the club.

Whilst some of those number may be slightly off, there is no doubt that the bigger picture is that we do have a negative nett spend on transfers since Ashley took over the club, which is as laughable as it is unforgivable. Who takes over a football club to not spend any money on it? Considering the investment by other clubs we are lucky to still be in this league. We won't be for long considering more and more external money is coming in that is being used by other clubs to strengthen their playing squads and management personnel, and Ashley doesn't seem to be prepared to loosen the purse strings.

Whilst some of those number may be slightly off, there is no doubt that the bigger picture is that we do have a negative nett spend on transfers since Ashley took over the club, which is as laughable as it is unforgivable. Who takes over a football club to not spend any money on it? Considering the investment by other clubs we are lucky to still be in this league. We won't be for long considering more and more external money is coming in that is being used by other clubs to strengthen their playing squads and management personnel, and Ashley doesn't seem to be prepared to loosen the purse strings.

Stan Kronke and The Glazers? (rather more literally in the latter case as they're getting the club to payoff the cash they used to buy it)