Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Not sure why people have cottoned on to it being a SD store, it changed a couple of years ago didn't it?

We're pleading poverty, I can only guess people are looking to see why.

We have done so for a while.

I veremently disagree btw and I understand why it has come to the fore but it's old news.

I'm not sure it is old news, I had no idea that NUFC weren't counting all revenue from the club shop (online or otherwise) in their own revenue figures.

Maybe people are just joining the dots now but this is quite a big deal.

Fair enough, I just always assumed it was the case when the club shop turned in to SD whenever it did.

Obviously it's wank (and unsurprising) like.

EDiT: God that website is shit.

I bet Neesy is right here regarding the store operations. Assume that the space itself is part of the ground/stadium and the retail operations are managed or leased by Sports Direct under a very long term contract with sales kickers as incentive fees or % rent. Either way, if Mike was to sell the club, I wouldn't put it past him to have a long term agreement in place to continue to operate the club shops and/or a big buy-out to terminate.

I bet Neesy is right here regarding the store operations. Assume that the space itself is part of the ground/stadium and the retail operations are managed or leased by Sports Direct under a very long term contract with sales kickers as incentive fees or % rent. Either way, if Mike was to sell the club, I wouldn't put it past him to have a long term agreement in place to continue to operate the club shops and/or a big buy-out to terminate.

Crossed my mind too.  Whenever he leaves I'm sure he'll leave a lingering smell.

Guest neesy111

From what I know as well, NUFC behind the scenes are really understaffed compared to most PL clubs and there was more culling over the summer.

:mackems:

On the more general subject, it's easy to see why it is in Ashleys interests to keep NUFC revenues as low as possible whilst maximising SD revenues by whatever dirty tricks he can manage.

That way he can keep us owing him a hundred million whilst boosting the profits and share price of SD. Also, it justifies nil expenditure at NUFC.

Man's an utter shitcunt, and anyone who willingly gives him another single penny needs their head looked at.

I know someone mentioned this the other day but can't remember where:

NUFC Statement

The Board of Newcastle United can today confirm that the Club is for sale at the price of £100m.

Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at [email protected] (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

The Club will not be making any further comment at the present time.

The thread title at the time is priceless: "Club for sale: £100m, anyone interested can email!"

:lol:

On the more general subject, it's easy to see why it is in Ashleys interests to keep NUFC revenues as low as possible whilst maximising SD revenues by whatever dirty tricks he can manage.

That way he can keep us owing him a hundred million whilst boosting the profits and share price of SD. Also, it justifies nil expenditure at NUFC.

Man's an utter shitcunt, and anyone who willingly gives him another single penny needs their head looked at.

The less we make in profit and the more he can use us to make money for Sports Direct, the less money he has to justify "trousering" to service the debt that saved us.

It's starting to come together now.

The whole idea that we're spending a net of nothing over the last 5 years, have slashed our wage bill and yet get the third highest crowds in the land and have a massive TV deal yet aren't making any real money simply must be an outright lie on the scale of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme.

Its as transparent as my window.

The less we make in profit and the more he can use us to make money for Sports Direct, the less money he has to justify "trousering" to service the debt that saved us.

That's exactly it.

I know I keep banging this drum but Sports Direct share price rose to an all time high today of over £7 a pop, 20 times more valuable than the day he bought NUFC.

I know someone mentioned this the other day but can't remember where:

NUFC Statement

The Board of Newcastle United can today confirm that the Club is for sale at the price of £100m.

Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at [email protected] (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

The Club will not be making any further comment at the present time.

The thread title at the time is priceless: "Club for sale: £100m, anyone interested can email!"

:lol:

Wasn't the joke as one time that Ronaldo was worth more than Newcastle?

That's exactly it.

I know I keep banging this drum but Sports Direct share price rose to an all time high today of over £7 a pop, 20 times more valuable than the day he bought NUFC.

I'm with you on that to a degree, but also must point out that NUFC alone hasn't seen the share price multiply by 20 and this is why you keep seeing people like Ian jumping on your point and trivialising it.  There are other factors in it of course, and I don't have loads of knowledge on this, but you'd guess the fact SD has gradually killed off many of its rivals to the extent they're not trading anymore, the economic climate driving people to cheaper goods above all else, SD stepping up other marketing/PR efforts, Ashley buying up more sportswear companies to increase profit margins, etc - it all plays a part in making SD more attractive on the stock market.

I'm sure the Newcastle connection has served them well and deserves its place as one of those factors though, especially with the global reach of the Premier League.

:thup:

I say that just as much to point out how unbelievably fucking rich this bloke is, and getting richer day by day. Some people like to make out like he's a pauper in Premier League terms when he really isn't (Chelsea and City the obvious exceptions, as well as one of Arsenal's guys).

He could have Everton's owner doing his fucking dishes. He's not financially prudent, he's just a thoroughly tight selfish greedy cunt.

I think it's pretty clear we have an owner that isn't really committed to making Newcastle United the club it should be by rights and is effectively running it on a skeleton crew. But when comparing other club owners favourably, please don't mention Gillett and Hicks of Liverpool. They were mis-managed so badly they were effectively up s*** creek without a paddle with a mounting debt racked up against Liverpool FC rather than the owners themselves. Their fans were protesting and they only got out of that because the club was sold over their heads by the bank to another buyer. If there hadn't been another buyer what then?

There WAS another buyer though, and the reason is that Liverpool had a recent record of success - that will always attract people who want a PL football club.

NUFC is supposedly in a better state financially than they were, but because the club is seen as a comedy show, nobody is rushing to buy it but they will when it suits their purpose...

That's right so comparing Liverpool's situation to ours favourably doesn't make sense then, because of their success they are a worldwide brand, a point made earlier in this thread. That's why if we are going to compare ourselves to another club, it would be closer to Everton.

Maybe closer, but Everton will never have NUFC's gate potential...they are seen as the second club in Liverpool, 3rd if you accept Bill Shankly's famous quote..!

Problem is that with Ashley in charge, the club's attraction to potential buyers is going to decline because eventually, there WILL be a boycott...perhaps not an organised one, but many will just stop going.

A bit more interesting debate about the fat one of late, and gladly it seems to have risen above the "wish he was dead" level which has become almost predictable post transfer window.

Especially loved the foreign correspondent who said he didn't spend anything on NUFC but if he did he'd stop. Ashley must be quaking in his boots!

Thing about Ashley is he will not buckle under pressure, it's not in his make up.

He will only leave if a) he totally loses interest. or b) he receives a too good to be true offer.

Scenario (a) may already have arrived as far as attending games is concerned, but he may enjoy playing the business side of the sport from afar.

Scenario (b) has never looked like happening yet and remains unlikely.

It seems almost a rule of N-O that if something is repeated enough times it can then be quoted as fact, but there's no way Ashley will be making any money out of NUFC - quite the opposite. However it's undeniable that it is a very good fit with his "core assets" in terms of global marketing. He'd be reluctant to give that up.

Although many claim to be so desperate to see the back of him they'd take any alternative, be careful what you wish for. Most would compromise their principles for the greater good of the game to have an "Abramovich" or "Sovereign State" in charge and sugar-daddying us to success, but other alternatives could be quite scary.

Just look back at the "arm punching delight" when he arrived, of some who are now his biggest critics, to illustrate that change does not guarantee anything.

When change comes it has to be progressive and not just at any cost.

This is just self-justifying defeatist stuff - plenty of reasons I could give why, but I can't be bothered - you are just plain wrong.

Why not just say you think everyone who wants to take action by boycotting STs, merchandise etc is 'letting down the lads' because you want to go to games yourself?

As for people who live overseas, this comment just shows the depth of your parochialism - exactly why major international buyers view NUFC fans with suspicion because your comment reflects suspicion of anyone who lives South of the Tyne, never mind abroad.

I live abroad and am quite happy to say that I also would boycott NUFC until Ashley was gone - for your info, I and many others did just that back in 1988-92 in order to increase the financial pressure on McKeag during the Magpie Group takeover..it finally worked too but I have also spent thousands on STs etc before and after that period.

I am sure clubs with REAL ambition, like Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs etc do not have supporters who rubbish the views of their overseas fans, many of whom they actively court for merchandise sales.

You need to get out more mate....

The club's attraction to potential buyers will be harmed by what could be very difficult selling terms by MA and any sort of agreements in place with SD that could be seen as an unfavorable encumbrance. A buyer with the right mindset and chairman in-hand who knows how this place ticks will see nothing but an excellent investment with massive potential.

I think people who say our global brand is diminished forgets what money and smart marketing can do to a brand.

Man City were Man Utd's blue second team until they were bought out and all it took was Money (a ton) to chane their global image. Not saying another of those comes our way but a simple change in ownership, ambitious signings, and thoughtful -- smart PR/Marketing and things change quickly.