Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest neesy111

I sort of resent the fact that he's taking anything out at all, given everything he has "had to spend" has been because of his own mistakes.

Aye I understand that argument. But then again, a lot of what he spent was clearing existing debt, so the 'mistake' was buying us in the first place. Not all of it is because of relegation etc, although it obviously didn't help.

He was forced to clear the existing debt via another mistake of his (not doing due-diligence).  Amazing how many mistakes he's done.....

I sort of resent the fact that he's taking anything out at all, given everything he has "had to spend" has been because of his own mistakes.

Aye I understand that argument. But then again, a lot of what he spent was clearing existing debt, so the 'mistake' was buying us in the first place. Not all of it is because of relegation etc, although it obviously didn't help.

He was forced to clear the existing debt via another mistake of his (not doing due-diligence).  Amazing how many mistakes he's done.....

Sure, that's a fact. Just saying that he didn't actually cause the debt, he just didn't know how much of it was there. I don't think that's really that bad.

The general feeling is that Ashley will sell if he receives an offer for the club which gives him his money back, but if he is making a killing off Sports Direct and making between £10 and £20million a year off Newcastle then why would he sell for anything less than a huge over the top offer ?

He could be here for the long term !!!!!!!!!

Let's say the fans protest and scare him into putting the club up for sale again: do you think there will be any takers this time, considering when it was going for a song no one showed any serious interest?

Guest neesy111

Sure, that's a fact. Just saying that he didn't actually cause the debt, he just didn't know how much of it was there. I don't think that's really that bad.

In business sense, it's about as bad as you get not knowing anything about the liabilities of the business you're buying.  There's a damn good reason why businesses take months in completing take-overs and why accountancy firms get hired for them.

He's done very well from Sports Direct, but his management since the day he looked to buy NUFC till today has been one mistake after another.  He's bought the right club for it though, as the fans will still turn up.

Aye, that was definitely his chief mistake: buying us without doing due diligence was a bit daft.

However, I could always defend him in the past because he wasn't taking anything back out, as this was the one thing that I felt would give us half a chance of doing something once we started turning a profit.

Now we are turning a profit and he's taking the money back out of the fucking club. It's unreal.

Guest neesy111

Aye, that was definitely his chief mistake: buying us without doing due diligence was a bit daft.

However, I could always defend him in the past because he wasn't taking anything back out, as this was the one thing that I felt would give us half a chance of doing something once we started turning a profit.

Now we are turning a profit and he's taking the money back out of the fucking club. It's unreal.

Especially when we need investment on the field.  If he made the club successful again, then I wouldn't mind him start to take it out but not when we've just finished 16th and have a small squad in certain positions.

If it ends with the £29M - which for some reason he seems desperate to claw back - then I suppose I could just about accept that, but if it carries on beyond this next set of accounts then it would be the final straw for me.

Guest neesy111

If it ends with the £29M - which for some reason he seems desperate to claw back - then I suppose I could just about accept that, but if it carries on beyond this next set of accounts then it would be the final straw for me.

January transfer window will probably speak for those accounts as well, unless we are wanting to build a cash pile for a rainy day. :lol:

Newcastle United are owned by an asset stripper, the DoF is an imbecile, and the manager is a mediocrity.

Whoaa hold ya horses, the DoF hasn't had the chance to prove he's an imbecile, only had one transfer window, what do you want signings or something. For all you know he may have revamped the whole setup at the club and the ethos throughout is to play tippy tappy barcelone type stuff like his mate Pep had told him about.

Newcastle United are owned by an asset stripper, the DoF is an imbecile, and the manager is a mediocrity.

Whoaa hold ya horses, the DoF hasn't had the chance to prove he's an imbecile, only had one transfer window, what do you want signings or something. For all you know he may have revamped the whole setup at the club and the ethos throughout is to play tippy tappy barcelone type stuff like his mate Pep had told him about.

:-)

There have been various protests since Ashley arrived. Have any of them had a positive effect? They've arguably made the situation worse.

I seem to remember you being a big fan of protests against the NUFC board in the past.

Thanks for the characteristically cheap shot.

No answer to my honest question, however. There have been protests. Did you think they did any good?

How's it a cheap shot? For people who are unhappy with the direction and stewardship of the club there's little alternative other than to shut up and meekly accept it. Something you weren't prepared to do under the previous regime. Strange.

Still going for the man and not for the ball.

I'll rephrase my question yet again, in the probably vain hope of actually getting an answer:

If you think any of the protests against Ashley have had a positive effect, please tell me what it was.

Acknowledging he was out of his depth and openly putting the club up for sale.

Why is your opinion on protests against such an unpopular NUFC tenure diametrically opposed to your opinion when Shepherd was here?

Both the personalities and the circumstances have changed. Football has changed, the economy has changed, and Ashley is not Shepherd. Shepherd was vulnerable to being hit in the pocket -- given the tying of loans to season ticket sales, for example, fan unrest had the potential of totally hobbling his already unsteady cash cow and a few chants of "sack the board" would have the effect of getting him to scurry out and blow some more borrowed money on Michael Owen or some such. Now there isn't even a board, and Ashley is too rich to be vulnerable in the same way. Such protests as there have been seem to have had no effect but to make Ashley give up trying to enjoy his ownership of the club, and he's clearly not interested in acquiescing to the wishes of a bunch of people who think he's a "fat cockney rapist".

In short, just because one thinks protest is a good idea in one set of circumstances, it doesn't follow that one should think it's always a good idea in any circumstances.

Can't believe I'm having to point out something so blindingly obvious, like.

There have been various protests since Ashley arrived. Have any of them had a positive effect? They've arguably made the situation worse.

I seem to remember you being a big fan of protests against the NUFC board in the past.

No answer to my honest question, however. There have been protests. Did you think they did any good?

How's it a cheap shot? For people who are unhappy with the direction and stewardship of the club there's little alternative other than to shut up and meekly accept it. Something you weren't prepared to do under the previous regime. Strange.

I'll rephrase my question yet again, in the probably vain hope of actually getting an answer:

If you think any of the protests against Ashley have had a positive effect, please tell me what it was.

Why is your opinion on protests against such an unpopular NUFC tenure diametrically opposed to your opinion when Shepherd was here?

Both the personalities and the circumstances have changed. Football has changed, the economy has changed, and Ashley is not Shepherd. Shepherd was vulnerable to being hit in the pocket -- given the tying of loans to season ticket sales, for example, fan unrest had the potential of totally hobbling his already unsteady cash cow and a few chants of "sack the board" would have the effect of getting him to scurry out and blow some more borrowed money on Michael Owen or some such. Now there isn't even a board, and Ashley is too rich to be vulnerable in the same way. Such protests as there have been seem to have had no effect but to make Ashley give up trying to enjoy his ownership of the club, and he's clearly not interested in acquiescing to the wishes of a bunch of people who think he's a "fat cockney rapist".

In short, just because one thinks protest is a good idea in one set of circumstances, it doesn't follow that one should think it's always a good idea in any circumstances.

Ashley is being asked by some to "engage with fans" but in fairness he tried that in the beginning, both in a formal and informal manner, perhaps even trying too hard some may say, but a section of supporters and self-appointed spokespeople made it very clear they didn't approve and wanted him out.

Ashley losing interest in enjoying matches coupled with no realistic buyers is not a good place to be. We either need an interested Ashley or positive new ownership to start moving forward again.

Great players, great stadium, great city, massive support. It's all just waiting for someone to make it happen.

He didn't really try to engage with the fans at all, he just acted like a clown when he was meant to be the person running the bloody football club. Once he made one too many many fuck-ups there was no going back for him so you should forget about an 'interested Ashley'.

He has no interest in what the majority of the fans want, a well run football club built on what we already had.

I don't understand the part in bold, surely wasting money on the likes of Owen was one of the main reasons we got into such a mess. And you supported the actions that had that outcome?

Anyway, what is your proposed alternative to the current situation? If people (presumably unlike yourself) are unhappy at the way the club is being operated, how do you suggest they should voice their displeasure in an effective manner that would have a positive effect?

May have been posted but.

Shares in the company, which owns Sports Direct.com and Lillywhites stores as well as famous product brands including Slazenger, Dunlop and Lonsdale, have risen 86 percent since the start of the year. The stock yesterday extended its winning run, adding 2.24 percent to 729p, which valued the firm controlled by Newcastle United soccer club owner Mike Ashley at £4.4 billion. After the London session closed, the index compiler FTSE International confirmed that Sports Direct had been promoted into the blue chip FTSE 100 index.

http://invezz.com/news/equities/5421-sports-direct-share-price-company-enters-ftse-100

May have been posted but.

Shares in the company, which owns Sports Direct.com and Lillywhites stores as well as famous product brands including Slazenger, Dunlop and Lonsdale, have risen 86 percent since the start of the year. The stock yesterday extended its winning run, adding 2.24 percent to 729p, which valued the firm controlled by Newcastle United soccer club owner Mike Ashley at £4.4 billion. After the London session closed, the index compiler FTSE International confirmed that Sports Direct had been promoted into the blue chip FTSE 100 index.

http://invezz.com/news/equities/5421-sports-direct-share-price-company-enters-ftse-100

Understand why MA is in such a hurry to get his money back. Needs to stay liquid.

A protest in our case will make little or no difference to MA's personal conscience, he does effectively hold all the cards with regards to NUFC however that does not mean to say that the/a protest was or would be unsuccessful.

What we as fans need to do is to highlight the mismanagement of NUFC and promote our worries and views to the national media, this is where our protests come in to play we need to use them as a vehicle to carry our sorry clubs demise into the national and international view because this is the only way that we will rid ourselves of MA.

The knowledge of our demise is out there we just need to promote it and bring it even further into the public light.  With this we can give MA a motivation to sell NUFC, he is not going to want bad headlines which could effect his FTSE 100 baby, at the moment he is cozy in bed with NUFC his business uses it as a vehicle to grow profits and he has the benefit of being able to draw money from the club as he pleases.

IMO Protests need to be used to highlight our issues and ultimately put us in the shop window for a new owner.  We can force MA out but chants of "sack the board" and FCB aren't going to do it.