Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

If we sign Cisse, a defender and nobody else leaves this window - it'll have renewed a bit of faith for me regarding the owners' ambitions.

Agreed.

:kasper:

Until now there has been no sign of any intention to spend the Carroll money. I was done with thinking the owners wanted anything for this club, other than to balance the books and sell it, when that appeared to be the case. But if we're re-investing in the side, that would suggest otherwise.

If we sign Cisse, a defender and nobody else leaves this window - it'll have renewed a bit of faith for me regarding the owners' ambitions.

Agreed.

Also agree however I fear this window more than the summer windows with Ashley as I'm quite sure he sees it as the perfect time to over price and sell and replace in the summer, more so this year with us being safe, hopefully I am wrong, just want this month over!

Agreed.

Until now there has been no sign of any intention to spend the Carroll money. I was done with thinking the owners wanted anything for this club, other than to balance the books and sell it, when that appeared to be the case. But if we're re-investing in the side, that would suggest otherwise.

Nah, I know what you mean, was just stirring. It's a class move to be sure, and something beyond just keeping us ticking over. You could argue it's just a continuation of the Cabaye signing etc, but I can see why it's considered something extra.

Same here. Will take everything back I've said against him. Credit where its due.

Agreed.

Nah, I know what you mean, was just stirring. It's a class move to be sure, and something beyond just keeping us ticking over. You could argue it's just a continuation of the Cabaye signing etc, but I can see why it's considered something extra.

Keeping a club ticking over suggests doing an Everton. You don't buy players like Ben Arfa, Santon, Cabaye, Marvaux etc to keep a club ticking over.

Cisse is a continuation of a policy, not a change of direction.

Agreed.

Well aye... Cabaye was bought with the Nolan money in the same way Santon was bought with the Enrique money. Plus a few bob still left over to bring Obertan in. All that in mind (and i don't know accounting), it would suggest there was still the vast majority of £35m left from last year's January sales. Until now, there has appeared to be no intention to spend any of it - in spite of various soundbites.

I wouldn't say i'm impressed with their apparent change in mindset (it should never have been in question), but knowing that they're willing to properly commit to the first team financially is welcome news. Because as i say, regardless of our position, i was pretty much convinced they were running the club towards a position where it could simple be sold.

Nice to see a bit of footballing ambition.

To be honest, the current transfer climate makes it perfect for our strategy. British players on the whole at the moment are pretty average and also expensive, but still seem to attract the clubs around us, the 'elite' have the cash to buy whoever the hell they like, meaning there's a pretty broad European market for us to exploit a lot of talent, and we seem to be one of, if not the front runner there.

Agreed.

Keeping a club ticking over suggests doing an Everton. You don't buy players like Ben Arfa, Santon, Cabaye, Marvaux etc to keep a club ticking over.

Cisse is a continuation of a policy, not a change of direction.

I agree with you, but I can just see why some people think of signings like Cisse as something extra whereas signings like Cabaye are just replacements for outgoings. I don't agree with them either.

It would be a major step forward for many fans, myself included.

What if someone else is sold?

To be fair to the bloke when he finally figured out a plan and stuck to it, it's gone relatively well, unfortunately it just took him a fucking long time to sort it during which IMO he got pretty lucky.

This guy has managed to bring in Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Demba Ba, Santon and (fingers crossed) Cisse in just over a year. None of which have been for anything close to crazy money. The current development of the team is looking damn impressive. His decision to bring in Carr to back his idea of how he wanted to build the team was great too.

Today has been great. The transfer window gremlins were just begining to rear their ugly heads to complain about Ashley's lack of ambition, and his quest to continue to detroy the club etc etc etc. Fantastic to shut them up if only for a few days even.

To be fair to the bloke when he finally figured out a plan and stuck to it, it's gone relatively well, unfortunately it just took him a fucking long time to sort it during which IMO he got pretty lucky.

BLTG

Better

Lucky

Than

Good