Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

yeah think it was the 30 day payment (?) that was the surprise aye

was it only 67m when he took over?  so he's close to doubled the debt then?  don't follow those finacial posts on here that closely

Well the mortgage or whatever it was came to that. There was also about £20m outstanding on transfers i think, sure they were complaining about that early on.

Edit: That may have been part of the £67m though

I think you're right about some of the extra debt being owed from transfers, which was leaked just before the first January transfer window and used as the excuse why we brought nobody in then.  The fact that this is how just about every club bought players and paid the fees in stages over the player's contract (and still do) and he is just about the only club owner that pays 100% up front eluded him.

:thup: Definitely remember them whinging about something to do with fees owed. Like you say its standard footballing practice, one of the many things he didnt understand buying when us on a whim with no knowledgable person alongside him.

The main whinge was about the Owen deal, which was apparently paid for with up-front sponsorship money from Northern Rock. Meaning we basically had no main sponsor income until the deal ran out, but it wasn't debt as such.

Think Luque was another. They found out after he'd gone they still had (signifigant) money owed on him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/12/newcastle-united-mike-ashley-shares-rangers

The Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has said he will not buy any more shares to help fund Rangers, a statement likely to dampen speculation that he could take over the former Scottish champions.

Ashley has a stake of more than 4.5% in Rangers who are trying to raise around £4m from the sale of new shares to investors as the club seeks financial stability.

“I will not be participating in the open offer which closes at 11am today,” Ashley said in a one-line statement, referring to the fund-raising by Rangers.

Got what he needed from them already.

Newcastle United has today banned the Daily Telegraph with immediate effect following a report published in its paper yesterday (Thursday, 11th September), headlined 'Newcastle United For Sale As Ashley Eyes Rangers', as well as a follow-up article from the same reporter which appears in the Daily Telegraph today (Friday, 12th September).

The reports by Luke Edwards on 11th September, and again today (12th September), are wholly inaccurate and written with the intention of unsettling the Club, players and its supporters.

This is disgraceful journalism for which the Club and its supporters should receive a full and unreserved apology from those concerned.

The truth is Mike Ashley remains committed to Newcastle United.

For the avoidance of doubt, this means that for the remainder of this season and AT LEAST until the end of next season, Mike Ashley will not, under any circumstances, sell Newcastle United at any price.

The Club cannot be stronger in stating its position on this matter.

It is not acceptable for newspapers to print factually inaccurate reports that are damaging to the Club and to fail to check facts with Newcastle United ahead of publication and then expect to receive access to the Club.

Newcastle United will not tolerate this and will take such action as it deems appropriate.

The ban extends to all reporters working for, or freelancing on behalf of, the Daily Telegraph, as well as Luke Edwards in any capacity he may have working for the paper's sister title or on a freelance basis.

For the avoidance of doubt, this means that for the remainder of this season and AT LEAST until the end of next season, Mike Ashley will not, under any circumstances, sell Newcastle United at any price.

:anguish:

Abandon all hope.

Fuck these journalists anyway, none of them have remotely told is like it regarding Ashley and Pardew.

:thup:

mind you, that statement really knocks the wind out of any hope i had of pardew going

that statement basically says i'll do what i fucking want, here's a big fuck you to everyone

This season and next season we are guaranteed the tv money (parachute payments if we go down) so that's all he is here for.

So overall, how much has been withheld? 

Not sure what you are asking sorry. All I am saying is the "At least two years" is basically another way of saying he may sell the year after we go down.