Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

He'd be nuts to sell us and buy Rangers tbh.

They can only be as profitable as us if they are allowed in the premier league even then it's up for debate.

It depends on where he wants to make his profit.

One one hand he is guaranteed £100m a year from us so long as we stay up, however the players required would cost more in fee's and wages.

On the other hand he can sell more shirts and merchandise with Rangers and so long as they are in the CL then they would still make a fairly good whack of money and the players required to do that would cost less to buy and pay wages too.

Ashley thinks he can do as he likes but as in all dictatorships and empires eventually they all fall down.

quote below from BBC Website

"It also seems that Somers was prepared to threaten to cancel Rangers' retail agreement with Sports Direct to prompt Ashley to provide an alternative that would protect the positions of himself and the Easdales.

"Ashley owns less than 10% of the shares, but now seems to control the club. I'm sure he is now attempting to persuade the SFA to allow him to achieve outright control."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30598877

If it was easy to make a profit out of owning Rangers, you can bet there would be other investors eager to get involved.

For Ashley it seems to be about product placement, and also following that instinct to snap up a high-profile brand that finds itself in trouble.

But ultimately, regardless of whether he somehow achieves overall control, I can't see it working well long-term. The Premiership is the place to be.

If it was easy to make a profit out of owning Rangers, you can bet there would be other investors eager to get involved.

For Ashley it seems to be about product placement, and also following that instinct to snap up a high-profile brand that finds itself in trouble.

But ultimately, regardless of whether he somehow achieves overall control, I can't see it working well long-term. The Premiership is the place to be.

Part of the problem they've had is all sorts of shady sorts and their hangers sticking around for just that reason and sucking the club dry. Making a profit out of Rangers, with "out" being the relevant word!! It takes something when Ashley really is the best of a bad bunch.

Agree with your main point on product placement though. That and 'retail/catering agreements' for his other companies will be the motivation rather than taking a direct profit. I'd imagine he has a "level" in mind for them just like he does for us. Maybe CL qualification more often than not, paying just enough out in wages to achieve this and turn a small profit but without ever having a real desire as a club to kick on and get through the group stages.

The bonus being that due to the set-up in Scotland as long as they better Celtic more often than not there will be league titles and therefore no unrest from pesky supporters to worry about.

Knowing our luck he'll probably end up developing a deep affinity for them and bankroll them to global stardom, champions league glory etc.

One down, one to go lads. :shifty:

I am wondering if Ashley is almost ready to sell and Pardew jumping ship a bit premature has scuttled his plans a little bit.  Ashley now has the hassle of hiring another knacker for a season or 2.

One down, one to go lads. :shifty:

:lol: This is nothing compared to what that will be like. Y'all are gonna be beating the Sports Direct signs with shoes.

That's the dream mate already bought some size 18 kangol boots from his tat cave for that very moment!

this is where we really find out if theres anything in this long term plan stuff or if he really is just taking the p*ss out of the fans.

Im going with the latter.

Absolutely, cards on the table time.

:lol:

I'm continually baffled by posts like this, in 2014.

He appointed Alan Pardew 4 years ago, man.

The cards have been on the table for so long they're covered in tea stains.

I dunno, he sort of brushes the commercial revenue aside which is one of the big factors in keeping NUFC lower in the league.  If Ashley allowed the Tv revenue to be spent and didn't plaster the stadium with his own brands NUFC would have a fighting chance at at least being 5, 6 o7 on a regular basis.

Its not a fucking mystery at Swansea or Southampton or West Ham.

Other than to pay off his loan, what is the benefit of not spending any money improving the football club.  It is not like other businesses where you can use profits to diversify into other ventures.  I don't think he is transferring money out and he doesn't need the money himself so if the club can support itself financially, why would you not try to improve it.  If he gets his thrill from buying and selling players for profit, why not invest in good coaches, why do everything on a shoestring?

A more attractive football club would be better for promoting SD than the more impoverished and shabby image he seems to wish to create.

A football club will have some better seasons and some poorer ones.  He should not be afraid of having some success.  To strive just to be average will eventually only create failure.

Other than to pay off his loan, what is the benefit of not spending any money improving the football club.  It is not like other businesses where you can use profits to diversify into other ventures.  I don't think he is transferring money out and he doesn't need the money himself so if the club can support itself financially, why would you not try to improve it.  If he gets his thrill from buying and selling players for profit, why not invest in good coaches, why do everything on a shoestring?

A more attractive football club would be better for promoting SD than the more impoverished and shabby image he seems to wish to create.

A football club will have some better seasons and some poorer ones.  He should not be afraid of having some success.  To strive just to be average will eventually only create failure.

Yep, it all seems so pointless in him having the club.

I think Id take my chances with Vinny Tan.

this is where we really find out if theres anything in this long term plan stuff or if he really is just taking the p*ss out of the fans.

Totally agree, it's like groundhog day every time he has a new decision to make.

He is so thin skinned. Any criticism he takes clearly hurts him so much that he feels the need to use his power to make people's lives a misery. People went at him because he made some insanely stupid decisions that ruined the club in some respects, the appointment of Pardew and everything since has just been a big fuck you. His only long-term plan goes alongs the lines of, 'fuck them, their club can rot and make me money while we're at it'. Most normal people would have taken it on the chin, sold the club and moved on. He's obviously a petty, hateful man. 

Totally agree, it's like groundhog day every time he has a new decision to make.

He is so thin skinned. Any criticism he takes clearly hurts him so much that he feels the need to use his power to make people's lives a misery. People went at him because he made some insanely stupid decisions that ruined the club in some respects, the appointment of Pardew and everything since has just been a big f*** you. His only long-term plan goes alongs the lines of, 'f*** them, their club can rot and make me money while we're at it'. Most normal people would have taken it on the chin, sold the club and moved on. He's obviously a petty, hateful man. 

This (x2)