Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

In the 90s you wouldn't have heard any one saying 'Nah man this is just a blip. Our real position is mid-table.' Maybe because dreaming was allowed and encouraged back then like.

Even if you think this is where the club should be at, the mere thought of accepting a place in some sort of set order contradicts every inch of enjoyment in being a fan.

There wasn't the false ceiling of the top of the league being locked in, in the 90's.

What is enjoyment as a fan ? Watching a game and hopefully winning more of those than losing I reckon. IMO it is the fact that it is not a real competition anymore that makes the mediocrity position feel locked in more than any other factor, the current NUFC approach may make it feel more so, but it ain't the root cause, again IMO.

How is actively throwing away cups and focussing on income over football not a root cause? Swansea have won a trophy and are a comfortable prem outfit with loftier ambition, Southampton have been the buzz word this season for countering the status quo. Everyone is a selling club mantra aside, those clubs mentioned are in no way ran even remotely like ours, yet sell and still have momentum and drive. Most other clubs the football is still the priority and ours isn't. The way we are run is a far bigger barrier than 'well that's the way football is these days. The media don't like it when the status quo is disrupted. Doesn't mean it can't be or anyone should accept their lot and be happy with the old scalp now and then.

How is actively throwing away cups and focussing on income over football not a root cause? Swansea have won a trophy and are a comfortable prem outfit with loftier ambition, Southampton have been the buzz word this season for countering the status quo. Everyone is a selling club mantra aside, those clubs mentioned are in no way ran even remotely like ours, yet sell and still have momentum and drive. Most other clubs the football is still the priority and ours isn't. The way we are run is a far bigger barrier than 'well that's the way football is these days. The media don't like it when the status quo is disrupted. Doesn't mean it can't be or anyone should accept their lot and be happy with the old scalp now and then.

Who's happy ???

I'm just beyond getting desperately upset is all.

In the 90s you wouldn't have heard any one saying 'Nah man this is just a blip. Our real position is mid-table.' Maybe because dreaming was allowed and encouraged back then like.

Even if you think this is where the club should be at, the mere thought of accepting a place in some sort of set order contradicts every inch of enjoyment in being a fan.

There wasn't the false ceiling of the top of the league being locked in, in the 90's.

What is enjoyment as a fan ? Watching a game and hopefully winning more of those than losing I reckon. IMO it is the fact that it is not a real competition anymore that makes the mediocrity position feel locked in more than any other factor, the current NUFC approach may make it feel more so, but it ain't the root cause, again IMO.

Sorry but that's bullshit. It is very much a real competition, especially if you're the 19th richest club in the world despite trying to shrink yourself.

Who's happy ???

Not saying anyone is happy but I disagree with our situation being down to the status and hierarchies of teams in the modern game. It's significantly down to mike Ashley and not the status of the other teams.

Who's happy ???

Not saying anyone is happy but I disagree with our situation being down to the status and hierarchies of teams in the modern game. It's significantly down to mike Ashley and not the status of the other teams.

There's 82 other groups of fans who must wonder what the fuck we're so fed up about.

I think any other club would understand why we feel this way if they were in our scenario. To be fair.

I think many would give their right arms to be in our situation.

Depends how you define the situation, I guess...and it's back to the start of the debate.

We've tasted excitement and success so recently as well, I think that makes it harder.

I must have missed the success. Success is winning things IMO, outside of 1969 (and Texaco Cup) we haven't done that in my lifetime.

10 Years ago for SBR, 20 years ago for KK, ain't that recent, if it's considered success or not.

Yes I am a miserable twat.

I had this discussion with a cov fan recently. 'What have you got to moan about?' Your stable in the top flight' it's all well and good talking about 80 odd other teams opinions when they are striving to get into the divisions but we are in the elite one and have been for some time and no one is asking to the win the thing either. Their opinion is irrelevant. The only club who operate in a similar vein to us are villa who have exactly the same quibbles big club with a large fan base whose hierarchy are happy to tread water; and rightly so. What their reasoning is I don't know but ours is patently to put done crass brand the primary interest over anything else and as far as I can see, no other club in the land is doing that, nor operating the same head coach or transfer policies we do simultaneously. So how can they have an informed opinion?

Guest antz1uk

I had this discussion with a cov fan recently. 'What have you got to moan about?' Your stable in the top flight' it's all well and good talking about 80 odd other teams opinions when they are striving to get into the divisions but we are in the elite one and have been for some time and no one is asking to the win the thing either. Their opinion is irrelevant. The only club who operate in a similar vein to us are villa who have exactly the same quibbles big club with a large fan base whose hierarchy are happy to tread water; and rightly so. What their reasoning is I don't know but ours is patently to put done crass brand the primary interest over anything else and as far as I can see, no other club in the land is doing that, nor operating the same head coach or transfer policies we do simultaneously. So how can they have an informed opinion?

It's all relative

Remind him of how much NUFC fans put into their club in terms of gates and TV compared to the Coventry lot.

Must say, though, I've always had a soft spot for Coventry and they were my second team for most of the 90s with Big Oggy in net. Fans have been treat like muck for over a decade.

It's all relative

Exactly. Cov fans have had to put up with a lot of rubbish, but they'd get annoyed if some Hereford fan told them it could be worse. Every club has a right to expect their club to be the best it can be (even Man Utd fans last season!)

He's a great lad and as are most of the cov fans I know. Committed fans who have put up with the worst you can get. I'm not going to base the outlook of my club on a 'there are people starving in the 3rd world' mentality though. Invest too much time and money for that.

https://commonspace.scot/articles/248/zero-hours-staff-take-on-sports-direct-over-30m-in-unpaid-bonuses

Zero hours staff take on Sports Direct over £30m in unpaid bonuses

Zero hours staff take on Sports Direct over £30m in unpaid bonuses

Workers organise legal challenge over pay exclusion

THREE hundred employees on zero hour contracts have challenged retailer Sports Direct over millions of pounds in lost bonuses.

The staff were excluded from a pay scheme allocated to “permanent” workers in 2013. Now, lawyers acting on their behalf have challenged the Sports Direct legal team with average claims of £36,000 each for unpaid bonuses.

Those making the claims all have at least five and half years of continuous employment with the company.

Legal firm Leigh Day, with support from workers rights group Pay Justice, have requested that the workers are not penalised or dismissed for making the claims.

If there is no agreement on the claims then the cases will go to court, which would create a significant precedent for the rights of zero hour contracted workers.

Sports Direct, owned by billionaire Mike Ashley, has been criticised for its widespread use of short-term contracts.

‘Zero hours’ contracts mean that staff have no guarantee of regular hours or employment security.

A previous legal case against Sports Direct resulted in the need for greater transparency in zero hour contract advertising, including making it clear that the contracts do not guarantee work, sick pay or holiday pay.

Commenting at the time Leigh Day barrister Elizabeth George said: “[Workers] have the right to be treated fairly and with respect. They have the right to take holidays and to be paid when they take them. They have the right to statutory sick pay. They have a right to request guaranteed hours.”

The staff now await a response from Sports Direct.