Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

We've heard it all before.

MA, May 2009:

Seeing Newcastle United relegated from the Premier League has been a catastrophe for us all.

I fully accept that mistakes were made during this and previous seasons and I am very sorry for that.

I would like to say sorry to our magnificent supporters who have turned up in their thousands, home and away, up and down the country and who have given the team amazing backing throughout.

And I would also say sorry to all of the Club’s hard-working staff, who have gone about their jobs all year long.

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made. Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this Club forward again.

Its nearly word for word has this cunt just cut and pasted an old statement or does he have " a fuck you to the fans" template

Hiring Rafa would have been a huge statement of intent if it was, "Hey, we can really kick on from midtable and challenge for something" but instead it was "Oh shit, we're actually going down, quick!  Panic! Throw everything at it!"

MA, May 2009:

Seeing Newcastle United relegated from the Premier League has been a catastrophe for us all.

I fully accept that mistakes were made during this and previous seasons and I am very sorry for that.

I would like to say sorry to our magnificent supporters who have turned up in their thousands, home and away, up and down the country and who have given the team amazing backing throughout.

And I would also say sorry to all of the Club’s hard-working staff, who have gone about their jobs all year long.

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made. Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

:thup:

Hopefully what happened next will happen again this time.

Hiring Rafa would have been a huge statement of intent if it was, "Hey, we can really kick on from midtable and challenge for something" but instead it was "Oh shit, we're actually going down, quick!  Panic! Throw everything at it!"

It will still be a massive change of direction if he actually keeps Rafa on for next season.

IF.....

The bloke is clearly an astute (bit of a cunt) businessman but he literally has no fucking meat between his ears for this football club.

All he needs to do this summer is sack the likes of Charnley, give full control to Rafa, keep him in charge and take a step back.

That's it. Simple. Fans will calm down, we'll win the Championship at a canter and he'll be able to take steps forward to progress us.

I don't care about Rafa to be honest. If he even stays it's only a matter of time before he realises what he's let himself in for, gets fucked over and leaves. I really can't imagine Ashley completely changing his philosophy and giving a manager, a position he doesn't hold in high esteem clearly, the reigns effectively. Ashley hates it when people get ideas above their station; just look at what happened to Hughton and some of the players in that team. After 9 years it should be abundantly clear that this man is incapable of successfully running a football club.

Clearly it is now time for a period of careful consideration whilst we reflect upon the lessons that need to be learned from the last 12 months to restore this great Club to the very top flight of English football.

12 months?!

Yeah of course 12 months. Everything before that was exemplary.

I don't care about Rafa to be honest. If he even stays it's only a matter of time before he realises what he's let himself in for, gets f***ed over and leaves. I really can't imagine Ashley completely changing his philosophy and giving a manager, a position he doesn't hold in high esteem clearly, the reigns effectively. Ashley hates it when people get ideas above their station; just look at what happened to Hughton and some of the players in that team. After 9 years it should be abundantly clear that this man is incapable of successfully running a football club.

[Thumbs-up Emoji]

I don't care about Rafa to be honest. If he even stays it's only a matter of time before he realises what he's let himself in for, gets fucked over and leaves. I really can't imagine Ashley completely changing his philosophy and giving a manager, a position he doesn't hold in high esteem clearly, the reigns effectively. Ashley hates it when people get ideas above their station; just look at what happened to Hughton and some of the players in that team. After 9 years it should be abundantly clear that this man is incapable of successfully running a football club.

I suppose if you want Ashley out at all costs, then Rafa leaving would be better for the campaign so I can understand it. But I'm really more bothered about having a proper football team with a proper manager. The last few weeks have been a breath of fresh air even if it ended badly.

I'm just completely baffled that people are more concerned about Rafa staying than they are about driving this c*** out of town. The Rafa Benitez appointment proves beyond a doubt that this club could always attract high calibre managers if it wanted to. It just wasn't interested until it was knee deep in brown stuff and needed a miracle only someone like Rafa had a chance of pulling off. None of that will have changed now we are relegated. What fans should focus on solely is ensuring we get our club back one way or another. If a manager like Rafa is still interested in coming here at our lowest of the lowest ebbs, imagine what could happen under capable and ambitious ownership. Whether Rafa stays or goes is immaterial to me since I believe the chances of him being here by the end of the year are slim anyway. One transfer window of empty promises and getting players he doesn't want at the expense of players he desperately needs under these buffoons is probably all that is needed for him to run a mile, and rightly so.

Rafa won't stay unless he gets full control and the funds to do what needs to be done. It would be madness for Ashley to put obstacles in his way and I just don't think even he can be that stupid. There was plenty of money spent last season, that alone showed a change in direction. Unfortunately some of that money should have been invested in a proper manager and an MD capable of appointing one. I might be proven wrong again, but I really do think that they will know this and will be desperate to keep Rafa here. If only to stop any sign of protest.

Probably because people are pretty certain Ashley is going nowhere so they just want to try and enjoy a Newcastle team managed by a great manager I guess.

Exactly this for me.

You can't hound out an owner unless you have a willing buyer. Make no mistake, if someone offered Ashley his asking price he'd sell in a heartbeat.

Probably because people are pretty certain Ashley is going nowhere so they just want to try and enjoy a Newcastle team managed by a great manager I guess.

Exactly this for me.

You can't hound out an owner unless you have a willing buyer. Make no mistake, if someone offered Ashley his asking price he'd sell in a heartbeat.

Said this all along, spot on (both posts).

Clearly it is now time for a period of careful consideration whilst we reflect upon the lessons that need to be learned from the last 12 months to restore this great Club to the very top flight of English football.

12 months?!

Yeah of course 12 months. Everything before that was exemplary.

We stayed up didn't we?  What else do you want?

MA, May 2009:

Almost word for word.

Look, we can all wish, hope, and pray that Ashley will sell up - but he's an arrogant, difficult seller who clearly wants a price that nobody wants to pay. In normal market conditions, dropping a division should mean your value decreases, but we're not talking about a normal Seller here. I, like everyone, would love to see his time end or his death signal the end, and hopefully that happens sooner than later.

But to be honest, I want to enjoy weekend football again, I want to enjoy supporting my team and club like I have been the past few months with Rafa in charge. I want to get back to discussing the squad selection, transfers, tactics, funny/awesome/terrible moments of matches, reliving all of that stuff versus the opposite - which is where we all are right now. So if that means we can get back to enjoying football sooner than later? I'm choosing that path.

Even if you know full well it will end in tears, yet again Kanji? Just how many chances are people prepared to give him? Personally speaking I can't find any joy in following this club anymore. People hang their hat on the Rafa situation's outcome whilst deep in their mind they must be aware that this is just the next episode of the Keegan/Shearer/Hughton syndrome where a man of class and dignity is used by the vilains in charge only to be undermined later.