Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The message I'm getting from that is that he thinks we'll easily come back up straight away because we did it last time. That concerns me because he may think that any old Tom, Dick or Lawrie will be able to get us promoted rather than having to pay a bit more for Rafa to do it.

On the other hand though, he does mention Rafa quite a bit.

Wow, just imagine, the very top flight!  The Premier League lads, picture it!

Also this

Many of you have expressed strong views about what we could have done differently. I respect those views but I would like to reiterate that it has always been my intention to try to achieve the very best for Newcastle United.

Sets out one question and answers another.  "Did you make the wrong decision?"  "I try and make the right decisions"

Literally the only thing that comes out of that statement is that he clearly rates Rafa.

Which may end up being the most important thing. If Ashley rates Rafa he can do everything in his power to keep him.

:thup:.

Have a distant memory of him saying something positive about Shearer before rejecting his calls for three months back in 2009 though tbf. :lol:

The message I'm getting from that is that he thinks we'll easily come back up straight away because we did it last time. That concerns me because he may think that any old Tom, Dick or Lawrie will be able to get us promoted rather than having to pay a bit more for Rafa to do it.

Reading too much into it - they're just words.

At this time it's better than releasing a statement saying "AH FUCK, WE MIGHT NOT COME STRAIGHT BACK UP ARGGHHH".

Reading too much into it - they're just words.

At this time it's better than releasing a statement saying "AH f***, WE MIGHT NOT COME STRAIGHT BACK UP ARGGHHH".

You're right of course. I'm just so desperate for Rafa to stay that I'm looking for any tiny indication as to what's going to happen.

I should have realised that statement will have been written by Keith Bishop rather than Mike anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

Think it's a fair enough statement tbh, let's see what happens in the summer if we keep Rafa.

We've heard it all before.

MA, May 2009:

Seeing Newcastle United relegated from the Premier League has been a catastrophe for us all.

I fully accept that mistakes were made during this and previous seasons and I am very sorry for that.

I would like to say sorry to our magnificent supporters who have turned up in their thousands, home and away, up and down the country and who have given the team amazing backing throughout.

And I would also say sorry to all of the Club’s hard-working staff, who have gone about their jobs all year long.

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made. Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this Club forward again.

If he keeps Rafa and changes the entire recruitment process, then I'm prepared to cut the fat c*nt some slack

This. I keep thinking that there has to be a moment where it clicks and he realizes that what he's been doing since he took over isn't working. But then I think back on all the other recent times I've felt this way - the summer of 2012 when we could have kicked on, but only bought Anita, January 2014 when we were in 6th and could have invested but didn't, last year when Pardew left and we got Carver, when Caver left and we got McClaren, the list goes on and on - and I realize that he's not going to change. Hopefully he proves me wrong this time, but I'm guessing that it'll just be another moment to add to the above.

We've heard it all before.

MA, May 2009:

Seeing Newcastle United relegated from the Premier League has been a catastrophe for us all.

I fully accept that mistakes were made during this and previous seasons and I am very sorry for that.

I would like to say sorry to our magnificent supporters who have turned up in their thousands, home and away, up and down the country and who have given the team amazing backing throughout.

And I would also say sorry to all of the Club’s hard-working staff, who have gone about their jobs all year long.

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made. Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this Club forward again.

Bit of Proppeller Heads

Its all just a little bit of history repeating.

If he keeps Rafa and changes the entire recruitment process, then I'm prepared to cut the fat c*nt some slack

This. I keep thinking that there has to be a moment where it clicks and he realizes that what he's been doing since he took over isn't working. But then I think back on all the other recent times I've felt this way - the summer of 2012 when we could have kicked on, but only bought Anita, January 2014 when we were in 6th and could have invested but didn't, last year when Pardew left and we got Carver, when Caver left and we got McClaren, the list goes on and on - and I realize that he's not going to change. Hopefully he proves me wrong this time, but I'm guessing that it'll just be another moment to add to the above.

It's impossible to believe anything has really changed at this point, although it's possible. Hiring Rafa was clearly a big move, but who knows if we're prepared to follow through now our income is going to fall dramatically.