Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The first XI assembled under him here is very good. If he could get a decent manager in I think I would be pretty happy with how things are going (all the ridiculousness of the past aside). In fact with a good manager I think we would have everything that a non-super rich club could hope to have in terms of the premier league.

Trouble is he won't get a good manager in any time soon and if he does it will probably involve an immense slice of luck. I think this undermines any real claims that can me made of the summer representing a missed opportunity for 'kicking on' up the league. I'm not saying we shouldn't have bought defenders, we should have done but what's the rush really. We haven't won anything since 1969 and that wouldn't have changed with Mike Williamson being demoted to 4th choice centre back and Danny Simpson being made second choice right back.

For me the real shame is that for all the talk of a long term plan the youth side of things seems to be a shambles. The coaching structure seems incredibly ad hoc and there is no tangible footballing blue-print running through the lower levels.

Absolutely stunning post :clap:

The first XI assembled under him here is very good. If he could get a decent manager in I think I would be pretty happy with how things are going (all the ridiculousness of the past aside). In fact with a good manager I think we would have everything that a non-super rich club could hope to have in terms of the premier league.

Trouble is he won't get a good manager in any time soon and if he does it will probably involve an immense slice of luck. I think this undermines any real claims that can me made of the summer representing a missed opportunity for 'kicking on' up the league. I'm not saying we shouldn't have bought defenders, we should have done but what's the rush really. We haven't won anything since 1969 and that wouldn't have changed with Mike Williamson being demoted to 4th choice centre back and Danny Simpson being made second choice right back.

For me the real shame is that for all the talk of a long term plan the youth side of things seems to be a shambles. The coaching structure seems incredibly ad hoc and there is no tangible footballing blue-print running through the lower levels.

This is my biggest problem above everything, perhaps if there was the kids wouldn't look so lost and out of place and thus when they are brought in results would be easier to come by. At the end of all of that actually continue their development instead of looking like they are hitting a brickwall.

It's a crying shame.

This is my biggest problem above everything, perhaps if there was the kids wouldn't look so lost and out of place and thus when they are brought in results would be easier to come by. At the end of all of that actually continue their development instead of looking like they are hitting a brickwall.

It's a crying shame.

It's laughable that one of the things these two charlatans said they were going to do was to bring through young players - the "Arsenal" model (snigger). Having sad that, it's not a problem that they didn't inherit.

When was the last time NUFC produced a midfielder (i.e. the position that requires the most technical ability) capable of performing to a reasonable standard at Premier League level? Lee Clark? Carroll's the one real success story in about twenty years and, good as he can be, he's the most one dimensional player you've ever seen. Sums up our attitude to coaching really - big and strong at 12? You're in.

It's a crying shame.

Agree completely. Ashley likes the idea of following the Arsenal model - bringing in promising youngsters and bringing them through the ranks, but the reality is, he doesn't have a frigging clue (nor indeed the footballing nous) to put in place a coaching infrastructure to develop these youngsters. Over the past, what, 5/6 years(?), we've to my knowledge had only one youngster to break through and that was Carroll (certainly one the reasons why I was so gutted when he left). It would do a lot of good to send some our kids out on loan, but in order to do that you need a fucking squad - something we'll simply not have whilst this cunt is still here.

Shambolic ownership and board. Disgraceful.

We should have 100% kept Leon Best, Danny Guthrie, and Wayne Routledge (I know Guthrie left on his own b/c he wanted first team football).

But the fact that we've sold squad players and tried to graduate the youth players too early is a disgraceful decision by the club. Best, Guthrie, Forster, and Wayne Routledge could have all been vital to our squad. We haven't had squad depth in ages, and every time something happens to us via injuries or suspensions, we've struggled b/c we've lacked adequate depth. The players listed above aren't exactly world class players who should be commanded first team places, but they'd provide experience and some unique quality/talent.

I think of today's starting 11 and in that you replace Best for Shola, Routledge for Sammy, Guthrie for Mehdi, and you've got a team that could grind out a result.

I've always said we should be buying solid Championship players who actually have some talent to fill in some depth for our squads, or decent PL players who would love to play for a club like us and be a member of the squad. You could pick out a player or 2 from each of the "smaller" clubs and see a few that would cost us little and prove to be key squad players. But our board, are just f***ing so incredibly cheap and lack ambition - b/c they love to take gambles on young lads who have only cut their teeth in reserve fixtures or youth matches.

Funny that we sign a player like Bigi from a lower league who is at the right age and he looks miles ahead of others b/c he's had real first team experience.

Best and Guthrie played in the equally embarrassing fixture down there last year. Both also had long spells at the club of simply not being up to scratch.

The jettisoning of average players is not the problem here. In fact we've still got too many of them making up key parts squad; Williamson, Simpson, Perch, Ryan Taylor, Shola, Obertan. Most of that lot wouldn't even get in our Championship starting XI. A decent club would have fucked them off by now in our 3rd season back in the top flight, not be dishing out new contracts to them like we do and having them play 30 games a season.

I despair at the situation we find ourselves in, where we're having to accept people like Shola, Perch and Ryan Taylor as 'cult heroes' because of their effort/character instead of having players good enough to match the unfulfilled potential of the club. That's without even touching on people like Sammy, Bigi, Ferguson etc all playing regular games when they should be out on loan.

We should have a full 18 man squad minimum of players who are good enough to be top 10 Premier League footballers, and I mean actual footballers who like having the fucking ball. Not have 5 or 6 in the line-up trying to mask the inabilities of others and ultimately dragging their own level down. It will never happen though, because it's obviously too fucking expensive for a club with 50,000 fans coming through the turnstiles and millions of pounds of revenue to have a squad of competent fucking players to pick from.

Well, knowing from past transfer windows that Mike Ashley is stingy, the moment we propelled up the league table and secured a 5th place, I had a creepy feeling a crap season were to follow. Little did I know we were going to fight a relegation battle. Credit to Ashley for actually having the guts to go for a "Everton/Arsenal/...." type of model. When that model works it's always nice, but it doesn't. How much has Everton and Arsenal actually won in the last years...? Not much to show for...

I wonder what led him to believe Alan Pardew could be anything like Moyes or Wenger. Right now, both you reading this post and I, could do just as good of a job as Pardew.

We had a paper-thin squad last season, I'm not sure paper is thin enough to describe what we have now. It's truely shocking and frustrating/disappointing Newcastle did not grab the chance and invested during the summer to push through.

For the second time this evening, in the right thread this time, I wish Ashley would just fuck off. I want a rich owner willing to invest and take risks to push us up the league!

Guest neesy111

We should have 100% kept Leon Best, Danny Guthrie, and Wayne Routledge (I know Guthrie left on his own b/c he wanted first team football).

But the fact that we've sold squad players and tried to graduate the youth players too early is a disgraceful decision by the club. Best, Guthrie, Forster, and Wayne Routledge could have all been vital to our squad. We haven't had squad depth in ages, and every time something happens to us via injuries or suspensions, we've struggled b/c we've lacked adequate depth. The players listed above aren't exactly world class players who should be commanded first team places, but they'd provide experience and some unique quality/talent.

I think of today's starting 11 and in that you replace Best for Shola, Routledge for Sammy, Guthrie for Mehdi, and you've got a team that could grind out a result.

I've always said we should be buying solid Championship players who actually have some talent to fill in some depth for our squads, or decent PL players who would love to play for a club like us and be a member of the squad. You could pick out a player or 2 from each of the "smaller" clubs and see a few that would cost us little and prove to be key squad players. But our board, are just f***ing so incredibly cheap and lack ambition - b/c they love to take gambles on young lads who have only cut their teeth in reserve fixtures or youth matches.

Funny that we sign a player like Bigi from a lower league who is at the right age and he looks miles ahead of others b/c he's had real first team experience.

Best and Guthrie played in the equally embarrassing fixture down there last year. Both also had long spells at the club of simply not being up to scratch.

The jettisoning of average players is not the problem here. In fact we've still got too many of them making up key parts squad; Williamson, Simpson, Perch, Ryan Taylor, Shola, Obertan. Most of that lot wouldn't even get in our Championship starting XI. A decent club would have fucked them off by now in our 3rd season back in the top flight, not be dishing out new contracts to them like we do and having them play 30 games a season.

I despair at the situation we find ourselves in, where we're having to accept people like Shola, Perch and Ryan Taylor as 'cult heroes' because of their effort/character instead of having players good enough to match the unfulfilled potential of the club. That's without even touching on people like Sammy, Bigi, Ferguson etc all playing regular games when they should be out on loan.

We should have a full 18 man squad minimum of players who are good enough to be top 10 Premier League footballers, and I mean actual footballers who like having the fucking ball. Not have 5 or 6 in the line-up trying to mask the inabilities of others and ultimately dragging their own level down. It will never happen though, because it's obviously too fucking expensive for a club with 50,000 fans coming through the turnstiles and millions of pounds of revenue to have a squad of competent fucking players to pick from.

:clap:

It's a crying shame.

It's laughable that one of the things these two charlatans said they were going to do was to bring through young players - the "Arsenal" model (snigger). Having sad that, it's not a problem that they didn't inherit.

When was the last time NUFC produced a midfielder capable of performing to a reasonable standard at Premier League level? Lee Clark? Carroll's the one real success story in about twenty years and, good as he can be, he's the most one dimensional player you've ever seen. Sums up our attitude to coaching really - big and strong at 12? You're in.

The thing about that idea of following the Arsenal model you actually need a good manager who understands the importance of team building, youth development among other things like Wenger does, not to mention the amount of coaches and scouts Arsenal have set up all over the world.

Something obviously Ashley and his chronies obviously missed....

I agree it's been an issue for a very long time but i feel the difference is for the longest time it wasn't paid attention to and now it is but they are going about it all wrong.

Just scouting players will never be enough the system needs to be in place and they have to be coached properly.

If we look at the likes of Vuckic and Abeid the older they get the worse they seem to look and that has to be down to the club not having a club how to develop and coach these players.

Everything from top to bottom looks clueless at the moment.

Guest Mantis

Sums up the clubs lack of sensible squad strategy quite concisely.

Guest bimpy474

Wouldn't some of this lay at Pardew's lack of ability though, surely he ok'd the contract given to Ryan Taylor etc.

Surely if he was a top manager he would tell the board the players Sewelly listed aren't good enough. In fact Pardew got rid of Routledge (rather nastily saying he wasn't the level needed) and replaced him with Obertan, thats a cracking deal :(.

Just saying.

The thing is we all crave a new CB, but what we really need is to go out and buy 2 new CBs and fuck Williamson/Perch off for good. That's without even touching on the age old debate of whether Steven Taylor will ever be a reliable Premier League player in terms of fitness. We should have four central defenders all with the adequate attributes to play in top flight. Not one good one, one maybe-good one that is always injured, an absolute joker and a championship holding midfielder.

We're the only bloody club in the whole league that has this scenario where you can have last years team of the year CB being partnered by a player who at the moment doesn't look Championship standard. I know Colo has been underpar this season, but the inconsistencies and lack of depth in our squad is just absurd and inexcusable.

Wouldn't some of this lay at Pardew's lack of ability though, surely he ok'd the contract given to Ryan Taylor etc.

Surely if he was a top manager he would tell the board the players Sewelly listed aren't good enough. In fact Pardew got rid of Routledge (rather nastily saying he wasn't the level needed) and replaced him with Obertan, thats a cracking deal :(.

Just saying.

Who hired Pardew?  ;)

The same Leon Best, Danny Guthrie, and Wayne Routledge who all requested to leave to get first team football?

They wouldn't have stayed here as just squad players regardless of attempts to persuade them. They should have been better replaced though. Too much reliance on younger players stepping up which was a gamble too far.

Not an unknown fact that the squad wasn't big or good enough as Pardew has been talking about it for the past two months. Unknown as to whether fat man will do anything about it to rectify the summer failings.

The thing is we all crave a new CB, but what we really need is to go out and buy 2 new CBs and f*** Williamson/Perch off for good. That's without even touching on the age old debate of whether Steven Taylor will ever be a reliable Premier League player in terms of fitness. We should have four central defenders all with the adequate attributes to play in top flight. Not one good one, one maybe-good one that is always injured, an absolute joker and a championship holding midfielder.

We're the only bloody club in the whole league that has this scenario where you can have last years team of the year CB being partnered by a player who at the moment doesn't look Championship standard. I know Colo has been underpar this season, but the inconsistencies and lack of depth in our squad is just absurd and inexcusable.

Bang on

Guest bimpy474

Just saying.

Who hired Pardew?  ;)

Oh yeah very true, but to some extent i reckon Pardew fooled them idiots too. And if his own professional pride would want him to do the best job possible, he would tell them what players are good enough.

Tbh i think he is a crap manager with a real lack of judgement in a player. He's a crap Fat Sam as its turning out.