Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

If we are going to appoint a club ambassador, I'd rather it was Shearer than Keegan.  He's far more current, a lot of younger players won't have a clue who Keegan is.

But only as a club ambassador with no executive authority

What competence does Keegan have to work as a director of football exactly? :lol:

Is your view that director of football is just some figure head for the club?

Ive explained what I meant by saying more like a Charnley role although not in making the teas.

If we are going to appoint a club ambassador, I'd rather it was Shearer than Keegan.  He's far more current, a lot of younger players won't have a clue who Keegan is.

But only as a club ambassador with no executive authority

Id say the same applies to many of the fans.  Keegan was the first coming of what Rafa has brought in the past year and a bit but on a much bigger scale.

What competence does Keegan have to work as a director of football exactly? :lol:

Is your view that director of football is just some figure head for the club?

Ive explained what I meant by saying more like a Charnley role although not in making the teas.

As managing director? So what compentence does he have for that role?

Just because Ashley has hired incompetent people in important roles doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

Has Keegan ever expressed interest in a DoF type role? Genuine question, I haven't seen any reports indicating it.

And I ask because, not having seen the affirmative, would he even want a role like that? Would he be comfortable not running things the way he sees fit on the pitch as well? He very well might do fine as one but my thoughts are he'd rather be on the touchline than the directors box and it would be hell for him :lol:

Think of what we've had under Ashley, even Moncur who may be respected as a player and the Fairs Cup we won with him but he doesn't bring much, in my opinion, to the role he has.  Keegan with his many good traits as well as knowledge could bring a lot more.

It wont happen though but for me it's good to speculate rather than dwell on these past 10 years.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd rather trust the manager to do the appointing of relevant people in relevant positions, after all its his team...

I love KK as much as anyone, but we don't need him in any footballing role.

No Keegan around please when Rafa is here. I've been a fan of Keegan my entire life and he was the reason I support this club, but Rafa's position right now managing the club top to bottom, inside and outside of the ground is as great as any great managers we've ever had. Any potential investors would already save themselves time and expenses not having to get rid of the current manager and get a big name manager in.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd love a new owner to seriously invest in the academy and the general structure of the football side underneath the first-team, including women's football, because it has been neglected for so long we are losing our youngsters to the likes of Everton. Rafa has always shown throughout his career that he likes to give youth a chance and if you're good enough, not even big huge money signings won't get in the way which he's not known for anyway. He's no cheque book manager is he. Look at how wellSouthampton's academy has served them and indeed Everton's to an extent.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing with KK, which I am certain of, is if you say put him in charge of Man City with their spending power, he would produce a glorious attacking side capable of beating anyone and winning anything because at the end of the day, football is all about scoring more than the opposition and I'd back any KK side to do that even if it wasn't a particularly great side. His football philosophy may be deemed old hat or dated, but for all your stat driven and tactical managers, KK's way will always prove the more successful when it comes to actually winning football matches.

Basically give him any of the top teams in this country and they would be free scoring and right up there challenging for honours. All players love to be loved, to be sent out their feeling they are the best and love being allowed to express themselves, especially the better players. That's why Anelka, usually a moody character, enjoyed training so much under KK because it was fun and all about getting him to bang them in on a Saturday. Compare that to what he's said about Wenger in the past and training at Real Madrid for example.

Fucking love KK me, the man who got me into football and NUFC and made me believe that do you know what, we can beat anyone, any time, any day, anywhere and fucking convincinly so as well.

Coventry rocked up to SJP when we beat them 4-0 Sir Les got his first goal and the then manager said his team-talk was pretty much try and keep the score down. They were beaten and beaten well before a ball was kicked.

Fergie when we beat them 5-0 said  we were unstoppable that day and the result was inevitable and they actually played well that day, they just couldn't stop our attacking intent and KK's team's insatiable desire to score goals.

His side's could defend too, despite the myths. Fake news I believe it's called today!

I'd love a new owner to seriously invest in the academy and the general structure of the football side underneath the first-team, including women's football, because it has been neglected for so long we are losing our youngsters to the likes of Everton. Rafa has always shown throughout his career that he likes to give youth a chance and if you're good enough, not even big huge money signings won't get in the way which he's not known for anyway. He's no cheque book manager is he. Look at how wellSouthampton's academy has served them and indeed Everton's to an extent.

Wasn't this one of the things Rafa spoke about when he joined? obviously it's not realistic with Ashley but with a new owner you'd hope it comes a reality.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa mind is just as special, obviously in a totally different way. He sends his team out, despite the lack of quality, to beat the opposition whether its at home or away or against a bottom side or top side. unlike KK though, he has a poor to average side in comparison. Now imagine if he had a top team or great players to work with... ? Just look at his CV, that tells you what the man can achieve. Under Ashley this is probably as good as it gets and that's mainly down to Rafa. Kind of a waste when you think about it. Its like handing a 90 year old bloke a Ferrari.

Can't believe people are on about wanting Keegan back, in whatever capacity, that ship sailed. Time to move on, and with Benitez in full control.

He would be a great ambassador for the club, traveling abroad to meetings with potential sponsors etc.

Rafa mind is just as special, obviously in a totally different way. He sends his team out, despite the lack of quality, to beat the opposition whether its at home or away or against a bottom side or top side. unlike KK though, he has a poor to average side in comparison. Now imagine if he had a top team or great players to work with... ? Just look at his CV, that tells you what the man can achieve. Under Ashley this is probably as good as it gets and that's mainly down to Rafa. Kind of a waste when you think about it. Its like handing a 90 year old bloke a Ferrari.

Rafa could win the CL with Newcastle, and there'd still be a fair few who'd complain about the style in which it was won. Keegan could finish in the Euro places every season and everyone would be ecstatic :lol:

Can't believe people are on about wanting Keegan back, in whatever capacity, that ship sailed. Time to move on, and with Benitez in full control.

He would be a great ambassador for the club, traveling abroad to meetings with potential sponsors etc.

In that sense i agree, but nobody should be making footballing decisions but Rafa.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wasn't this one of the things Rafa spoke about when he joined? obviously it's not realistic with Ashley but with a new owner you'd hope it comes a reality.

I always thought Liverpool had a good structure, but when he rocked up at Anfield he was disappointed and got stuck into that side of the club to try and change things for the better. Here, well, I imagine a local boys club team would give our youngsters a game. Its amateur at every level below the first-team, facilities, structure, coaching, development, programmes etc. Rafa has changed things or tried to, but he cannot make the changes needed when the club value personal like they value SD employees. Needs major investment. I'd rather we threw say 20m at that side of the club than on any single player for the first-team. Unless we get a Man City type owner, the only real tangible way to success is by developing our own top-class players.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa could win the CL with Newcastle, and there'd still be a fair few who'd complain about the style in which it was won. Keegan could finish in the Euro places every season and everyone would be ecstatic :lol:

Well, I would never complain, I'm old enough and cynical enough now to accept any kind of success regardless of how its achieved (outside of cheating of course) even if that means buying the bloody league. However, Rafa's football or his style isn't my cup of tea and never will be. I'd probably enjoy finishing say 5th with a KK team than finishing 2nd with a Rafa team. Obviously winnings something cannot be bargained with.

Take when we finished 5th under that fraudster of a c*** Pardew, I didn't enjoy any of that season and honestly thought all the stars had aligned to get so high up in the table. We were awful to watch in the main and relied so much on luck and the purples producing top form. I knew it wasn't sustainable and never would be, even if he was handed a £100m kitty because that kind of football, tactics and whatever just isn't going to work consistently.

In that sense i agree, but nobody should be making footballing decisions but Rafa.

Agree.