Newcastle 3 - 1 Blackburn Rovers - 24/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 27

Disco

We let him go on a free and replaced him with relatively expensive garbage like David Rozenhal and an unfortunately past-it Cacapa.

If we'd had able cover for Coloccini and Bassong, we would've picked up more points.

Thats not the disussion here right now is it?

Despite seeming to make a point of mentioning 'long' or 'deep' balls beginning the moves for our goals, an article markedly lacking in venom/bitterness from Louise Taylor for once:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/24/newcastle-united-blackburn-rovers-premier-league

Alan Pardew had cited Demba Ba's recent observance of Ramadan as a reason for his rather low-key start to life on Tyneside but, fortified by a pre-match meal, the Senegal striker delighted in showing his new public precisely what he is capable of.

Ba's hat-trick not only extended Newcastle United's impressive unbeaten beginning to the season but sent a Blackburn Rovers side that had arrived seeking a sixth straight win at St James' Park back across the Pennines with their manager, Steve Kean, once again facing questions about his job security.

"Our control of the game was pleasing and the speed of some of our passing and movement was very, very good," enthused Pardew, Newcastle's manager. "We've got real quality in a strong side and we're going to win more than we lose. My forwards are rising to the challenge of proving that I don't need to sign another striker and this team's starting to excite me."

Ba's opening goal, and first for Newcastle, derived from Fabricio Coloccini's perceptive long, cross-field pass, which was met by the impressive Leon Best wide on the left. Best supplied a decent cross and Ba turned Scott Dann adroitly before directing a subtly curving, perfectly weighted strike into the top corner.

Another long ball, from Danny Simpson this time, prefaced his second, Ba heading beyond Paul Robinson after Steven Taylor had nodded Simpson's lob back across goal.

Junior Hoilett was proving Blackburn's most dangerous attacker, using his deployment wide on the right to fully emphasise why Ryan Taylor is not a natural left-back.

Hoilett reduced the deficit before half-time, meeting Martin Olsson's cross from the left with an assured first touch, allowing the ball to bounce and sending a ferocious half-volley beyond a helpless Tim Krul.

With Ba completing his treble shortly after the break it proved a false dawn for Kean. Home goal number three began with Cheik Tioté's deep, angled delivery into the area. Connecting with the ball at the far post, Ba screwed a looping header goalwards and, although Best got in front of Dann, that effort had crossed the line before Best could apply a final touch.

Things got even worse for Blackburn when Olsson was sent off after receiving his second yellow card after cynically hauling Yohan Cabaye down.

Although Cabaye's customarily incisive style had been cramped courtesy of some tight man-marking by Jason Lowe, the freedom consequently granted to other members of Pardew's midfield, most notably Gabriel Obertan, ensured Kean's pre-match game plan backfired.

Ba, meanwhile, departed to a 74th-minute ovation when the warmly welcomed Hatem Ben Arfa replaced him. Making his first appearance at St James' after a year spent recovering from a badly broken leg, Ben Arfa sparked in the hole, his improvisation and invention suggesting a currently fourth-placed Newcastle may just enjoy an infinitely better campaign than widely forecast.

Of course, probably worth bearing in mind, she probably forecast us to finish 21st. And we'd have been lucky to be so high, too.

Another somewhat positive article from her. Strange times....

Things got even worse for Blackburn when Olsson was sent off after receiving his second yellow card after cynically hauling Yohan Cabaye down.

Ermm..

Love that report about all our goals coming from long balls. The first was Coloccini dinking one over the top into the channel for Best, the second was from a cleared freekick. The third was from a delivery very similar to our goal at Villa, nice that Tiote has some guile in his game as well. We did kick it long from some goal kicks but once we had the territory it was all very neat and tidy. The couple of moves after Ben Arfa came on were fantastic to watch, as was the spell later on when we kept the ball for ages. On the one hand people were getting a little annoyed we weren't trying to smash 5 or 6 but there's a lot to be said for just being professional and killing the game.

There's not too much to say about the game that hasn't been said already, our full backs are definitely the weak link but it worries me to say Ryan Taylor is perfoming better out of position than Simpson is performing in his natural position. I've no doubt Simpson is the better player but his current form is terrible. Obertan reminds me a bit of Kieron Dyer, very direct but nowhere near as intelligent in his use of the ball. I was watching the 02/03 DVD the other night and the amount of our goals that came from Dyer running the channels and playing it to a Solano or Bellamy was phenomenal. Obertan gets into a lot of similar positions but he's always looking to run inside rather than take the full back on outright. His pace is very useful though and he's worth sticking with, he wins a fair bit in the air as well. Pardew seems to like him too as he rarely subs him.

Pleased Ba's got his mojo back, took the first goal inparticular really well. Bit of a conundrum now as both strikers are in the goals and Ben Arfa's going to play in the number 10 role sooner or later. Probably stick with 4-4-2 until we need to change it, but away from home I wouldn't be upset if we went to 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Well, despite him shining in a shocking Wigan side, I'm relatively confident he would have continued to crumble under pressure up here.

Certainly wouldn't have him our squad now. We've had more than our fair share of Titus.

He would have. Exactly why it was so great to see him released.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think the ref was poor yesterday for what it's worth.

Salgado should have been booked earlier in my opinion, there were a few dodgy high feet decisions too

For me when the foul is tactical or as a journalist would say cynical the referee has to buck the trend of the game will suffer & he didn't do that.

The yellow card should have been out a lot earlier - Blackburn stunted our play & they knew exactly what they were doing.

Think Bramble's better than Taylor, like. But Colo pisses all over everything they've got at the back. No disgrace.

You really should stop embarrassing yourself with comments like that!

Bramble's always been the better defender. 5 good games for Taylor doesn't change that.

Think Bramble's better than Taylor, like. But Colo pisses all over everything they've got at the back. No disgrace.

Bramble's always been the better defender. 5 good games for Taylor doesn't change that.

Fuck off man you fucking troll! :lol:

only attribute i can think of that's certainly better is his long range passing. i'll accept he might have better physical attributes, but he's never had the concentration or brain to use anything he's got properly. Taylor's not the brightest by any stretch and i thought him a liability before this season but he looks to have improved a lot with a full pre-season behind him, something's changed. nothing's ever gonna change with Bramble, his problem is always a slow brain and that can never be fixed in a footballer.

Not you again.

It was only April that everyone on here was calling Taylor worse than shite after the Villa game. Such a fickle bunch.

I wasn't.  I've always thought that he was a capable squad player doing an excellent job out of position.

Granted, I used to rate Bramble a bit about 5 years ago, but since then he's just descended to new levels of shitness.