Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

Slightly bevied Liverpool fan here, always had a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle. Great start to the season, what do you think has been the biggest improvmnt? I know a few who were writing Pardew off but it looks looks like he's built a good team spirit.

biggest improvement......a philosophy of pass and move.

It's important like but to go away and grind wins out you also need that strong work ethic and mentality. I wonder if selling the popular old guard has been the catalyst and brought everyone together. You've also added some much needed pace and youthful enthusiasm.

It kinda reminds me of 10 years ago. We had an average team that finished 11th. We added some lightning pace and creativity in Robert and Bellamy and it totally transformed the team. This year we have Jonas, Obertan, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Tiote who are all really quick whereas in previous years we've always had one of the slowest teams meaning teams could push up against us and pen us in.

Aye, never been a great believer in pace without ability but it's needed in the modern game. You've got to push teams back.

Slightly bevied Liverpool fan here, always had a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle. Great start to the season, what do you think has been the biggest improvmnt? I know a few who were writing Pardew off but it looks looks like he's built a good team spirit.

biggest improvement......a philosophy of pass and move.

It's important like but to go away and grind wins out you also need that strong work ethic and mentality. I wonder if selling the popular old guard has been the catalyst and brought everyone together. You've also added some much needed pace and youthful enthusiasm.

It kinda reminds me of 10 years ago. We had an average team that finished 11th. We added some lightning pace and creativity in Robert and Bellamy and it totally transformed the team. This year we have Jonas, Obertan, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Tiote who are all really quick whereas in previous years we've always had one of the slowest teams meaning teams could push up against us and pen us in.

That double substitution will forever stay with me :smitten:

Then SBR's hilarious comments about Bellamy not being a magician or Jesus or something :lol: :lol:

apologies if this has been posted already. but came across this on Footy365. http://football365.com/faves/7216440/Tactics365

fairly good tactical overview of the game.

Under Alan Pardew, Newcastle's success this season isn't based on anything particularly complicated - they are brilliantly organised at the back and defend, if you'll excuse the pundit's cliché, as 'a unit', they have arguably the best central midfield outside the top six and are quick on the counter. It's basics, but basics executed beautifully.

Excellent overview. Liked the bit above, it's a simple game but you need very good players to make it look simple.

apologies if this has been posted already. but came across this on Footy365. http://football365.com/faves/7216440/Tactics365

fairly good tactical overview of the game.

Under Alan Pardew, Newcastle's success this season isn't based on anything particularly complicated - they are brilliantly organised at the back and defend, if you'll excuse the pundit's cliché, as 'a unit', they have arguably the best central midfield outside the top six and are quick on the counter. It's basics, but basics executed beautifully.

Excellent overview. Liked the bit above, it's a simple game but you need very good players to make it look simple.

it's how i love my football, simple pass and move and as a team.

We absolutely bossed the first half. Wolves, as you'd expect came at us first ten minutes but once we settled we took command of the game, Tiote in partiuclar was excellent. Second half the game plan changed, to me it looked as though we were trying to sit deep and pick them off on the counter. In fairness it worked for twenty five minutes to half an hour and Ba should of put the game to bed, but the longer it went on the deeper we dropped and looked more and more like conceding. In the end we were lucky to escape a point given the decision to disallow the Wolves second.

Krul 9 - Made some brilliant saves and took some brilliant catches. The reaction save with his foot to keep it the deflected effort in the first half was particularly good. I'm probably being ultra picky here but he could of done a little better for the goal, he practically collapsed on top of the ball. Even then it wasn't his fault, good game.

Simpson 6 - Made some great last ditch tackles in the eighteen yard box and generally looked solid defensively. Woeful going forward, no ability on the ball at all. Plus he runs like he's s*** himself.

Taylor 8 - Did really well for me. Some brilliant blocks, dominant in the air and comfortable on the ball.

Coloccini 7 - Solid for the most part but let Doyle slip a couple of times.

Taylor 6 - Same as Simpson really, there was one particularly good block that prevented a goal. Got rinsed by Hamill a couple of times in the second half though and they generally bullied him at the back post on the end of crosses from the other flank.

Obertan 5 - Again some neat and tidy stuff but he's such a frustrating footballer. He lacks intelligance with his runs, often follwoing other players about as well as his delivery being p*ss poor for the most part.

Tiote 8 - Probably our best outfield player. Vintage Cheik really.

Cabaye 6 - Decent first half, kept things ticking over as per. Second half whether by instruction or his own accord he dropped way too deep which contributed to the late panic.

Jonas 6 - For the most part I thought he was pretty poor, needlessly losing possession on a number of occasions. However he nabbed a quality match winner so I'll give him a six.

Ba 6 - Grabbed a goal, his all round play was alright too. He should of put the game to bed in the second half. criminal that he didn't even hit the target really.

Best 6 - His hold up play was excellent. Showed that he has good feet on a number of occasions too. Played well without ever really threatening the goal.

Pardew 4 - It may seem harsh given we've won the game but his tactics nearly cost us. Our game plan in the second half worked for the most part but nearly cost us dearly, his subs were woeful, Lovenkrands was a passanger when we desperately needed someone in the middle who get get his foot on the ball annd maintian possession.

I'm sure Pards brought on Loven for the counter-attack.

Guest Rey Mysterio

My ratings,

Krul - 9

Raylor - 6

Taylor - 6

Colo - 7

Simpson - 3

Obertan - 4

Cabaye - 7

Tiote - 8

Jonas - 8

Ba - 7

Best - 8

I said at the game, if Shola was fit Pards would have definitely brought him on for Ba. Demba was knackered but still wanted to keep them occupied with two strikers. Shame McLoven was his only real option.

Obertan is so incredibly frustrating, he clearly has talent but neither backs himself or delivers the end product anywhere near as often as he could.

Sick to death of watching Simpson, never in a million years is he a premier league player. His lack of ability mixed with his stinking attitude hardly ever fails to get me angry at the game. Would like to see the penalty incident again, couple of our players were having a go at Jarvis for diving but it was stupid to dangle a leg out in the box regardless.

Fortunate to get the win in the end but full marks for toughing it out. Santon must start against Spurs!!!

not having Carroll and Nolan up top, thus no more limited constant route one blast up the field to the big men.

also shola not in the team, big plus.

Watched the replay of the match, got caught up on the match thread. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Good first half, terrible second half. Great goal by Jonas, fantastic performance by Krul, baffling subs by Pardew. Excellent 3 points in a tough away fixture, but can't help feeling like we made it much harder than it had to be.

Match Ratings:

Krul:  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:

Simpson:  :knuppel2:

Saylor:  O0

Colo:  :coloccini:

Raylor: :dontknow:

Obertan:  :rant:

Cabaye:  :smitten:

Tiote:    :aww:

Jonas:  :jonas:

Ba:  :frantic:

Best:  :snod:

Loven:  :suicide:

Guthrie:  :tumbleweed:

Pardew:  :serious:

Watched the replay of the match, got caught up on the match thread. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Good first half, terrible second half. Great goal by Jonas, fantastic performance by Krul, baffling subs by Pardew. Excellent 3 points in a tough away fixture, but can't help feeling like we made it much harder than it had to be.

Match Ratings:

Loven:  :suicide:

Guthrie:  :tumbleweed:

Pardew:  :serious:

perfect ratings those  :lol:

Match Ratings: