Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I read Fever Pitch on my honeymoon this Summer and it was a decent enough read as others mentioned.  I would love it if there was something like this book from a Newcastle point of view.....ahem aspiring writers out there reading this space.

I've thought of having a crack myself, but the trouble is Nick Hornby brought it off so well that all I felt I'd end up with is an inferior version of his book.

Hornby's book manages to be of interest to all fans, and not just Gooners, because he's able to stand back and look at things objectively as well as communicate the passion of the fan. The subsequent attempts at emulating him that I've seen have failed because the author is too wrapped up in all the fantasies and cliches which go with following a particular side. It ends up being of no interest to other supporters, and of limited interest to your own fans because you're only saying what they know already.

Hornby also has an interesting personal story to tell about growing up and maturing, and football's role in warping that process. That adds another dimension to the book, and I think it actually makes it accessible to people who don't particularly follow the game.

This isn't a brilliant piece of literature or anything. But for someone like me, who takes an active interest in football history, I really enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-White-Daft-Following-Newcastle/dp/0956441009/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319355606&sr=1-16

Likewise for someone like my dad who was standing on the terraces around that time. He really enjoyed it too.

There's also a full chapter dedicated to Mick & madras.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I've read Brilliant Oranje and I really liked it. Read two of the Billy Furious books and they're ok.

The Meaning of Cantona is my favourite football book but I don't know if that's available in ebook format.

I've read Brilliant Oranje and I really liked it. Read two of the Billy Furious books and they're ok.

The Meaning of Cantona is my favourite football book but I don't know if that's available in ebook format.

Do you run like a cheetah?

Not that long ago a book called Left foot in the grave was written by a so called journeyman footballer called Gary Nelson. This is a real autobiography by a real footballer and a real insight into how it used to work and how it still works for the majority.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-Foot-Grave-Garry-Nelson/dp/0002187744

Geordie Passion is quite a Toon version of Fever Pitch (which is a must ready regardless of which team you support) written by Mark Hannen in the mid-90s. Mark works in the Toon press office now.

Another good one is Season in the sun by a Rochdale fan Mark Hodgkinson.

• 1 year later...

Jonathan Wilson - Inverting the Pyramid

Shortlisted for the 2008 William Hill Sports Book of the Year award, Wilson documents the evolution of football tactics and formations from the sport's foundations to the modern 4-5-1 formation and its variants. Along the way Wilson explains the evolution and rationale behind the Italian Catenaccio style, Dutch Total football, the individual skills of South American football players, and the tactical innovations within the Soviet Union. Wilson repeatedly suggests that the failure to innovate tactically has played a role in the under-achievement of recent English international teams, who have struggled in recent competitions despite the presence of numerous exceptionally talented players.

Just finished reading this. Outstanding stuff. :thup:

Jonathan Wilson - Inverting the Pyramid

Shortlisted for the 2008 William Hill Sports Book of the Year award, Wilson documents the evolution of football tactics and formations from the sport's foundations to the modern 4-5-1 formation and its variants. Along the way Wilson explains the evolution and rationale behind the Italian Catenaccio style, Dutch Total football, the individual skills of South American football players, and the tactical innovations within the Soviet Union. Wilson repeatedly suggests that the failure to innovate tactically has played a role in the under-achievement of recent English international teams, who have struggled in recent competitions despite the presence of numerous exceptionally talented players.

Just finished reading this. Outstanding stuff. :thup:

It's always weird seeing Gupter quoted now, seeing as he's been off for a year now

All those fucking hooligan books, what a load of cunts, really.

I totally understand the role of hooligan culture in English football, i was around and doing away matches in the 80s, you can't do that and not get it, but really, they're just a bunch of people who really, really need to grow up.

These hagiographies are pathetic.

All those fucking hooligan books, what a load of cunts, really.

I totally understand the role of hooligan culture in English football, i was around and doing away matches in the 80s, you can't do that and not get it, but really, they're just a bunch of people who really, really need to grow up.

These hagiographies are pathetic.

:thup:

:anguish:

972130_10152928344385643_34311684_n.jpg

Steve Wraith :anguish:

on a fb thread I just read,

Steve Wraith I'm no hooligan but these lads make you proud to be a geordie when you hear there tales...its a social and historical document...next step is the film script

I thought Among the Thugs was really good. By no means a hagiography. But, then again, I'm an American who has had no experience with football hooliganism, so I'm not sure how it would read to most folks on here.

http://i.imgur.com/X7ek5fN.jpg

Among the Thugs is the only "hooligan book" I've ever read.

Probably the only one published in the US. Thought it was decent enough.

Edit: Checked up on reviews in Amazon and saw this one star review:

Bill Buford makes a laughable attempt to write a hooligan book. I thought this book was terrible. I wanted to read about hooligans, instead I read about his philosophical ideas on crowds and people. What a joke! A waste of money, I recommending not buying this book.

:lol:

I guess it's not a hooligan book after all.

A Life Too Short - The Tragedy of Robert Enke is easily the most touching football book I have ever read. It's a beautifully sad book.

It is a very sad book - it was strange  as you obviously knew what was going to happen, but it was still a shock when it does actually happen.  If that makes any sense.

Among the Thugs is the only "hooligan book" I've ever read.

Probably the only one published in the US. Thought it was decent enough.

Edit: Checked up on reviews in Amazon and saw this one star review:

Bill Buford makes a laughable attempt to write a hooligan book. I thought this book was terrible. I wanted to read about hooligans, instead I read about his philosophical ideas on crowds and people. What a joke! A waste of money, I recommending not buying this book.

:lol:

I guess it's not a hooligan book after all.

i've read it and thought it was okay.

I thought Among the Thugs was really good. By no means a hagiography. But, then again, I'm an American who has had no experience with football hooliganism, so I'm not sure how it would read to most folks on here.

http://i.imgur.com/X7ek5fN.jpg

That's different, as the author is a writer who spent time with the hooligans to write the book, rather than hooligans writing books about how they "ran" West Ham in the 1980s or whatever.