Newcastle Utd vs Wigan Athletic pre-match thread (22/10/11 @ 3pm)

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Aye if we get a win here and something off Everton it sets us up nicely, even if we get an absolute roasting in Manchester.

I don't think we will. Think we can surprise against both Manchester sides and also against Chelsea. Only after that it will start that the opposition teams will take us too serious.

Big bonus that all those 3 are playing in the CL and even Mancini will probably have to rest some players against us in order to not get a disaster in the CL. Don't have a clue if they are even playing in it before/after our game, though. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

You would expect a 3-0 or a 4-0, but it would be just our style to end our amazing run against a team like Wigan at home.

Would like to see

Krul

Santon      Saylor          Colo      Raylor

Tiote        Cabaye   

Marveaux        HBA        Guti

Ba

Seems the squad we've been building towards, and had enough time now. Best didn't put in his best shift last game, so willing to drop him for HBA.

Well, under Pardew, we have ended some truly dreadful runs against teams..like the Blackburn and Fulham one..so I think there is a chance to put this Wigan curse over us..

Ryan Taylor over the wall winner would be nice..

Also, get the win wrapped up early..we have Blackburn away in the Cup a few days later..will want us to continue the cup run too..

Would like to see

Krul

Santon      Saylor          Colo      Raylor

Tiote        Cabaye   

Marveaux        HBA        Guti

Ba

Seems the squad we've been building towards, and had enough time now. Best didn't put in his best shift last game, so willing to drop him for HBA.

:thup:

Will be furious if Obertan starts

2-0, and then I think Martinez might get the boot. Hopefully then I can go back to 100% hating Wigan, as opposed to the 50% hatred that Martinez' presence offsets. Team needs to be changed - Sad Taylor at right-back, Santon at left-back, Simpson dropped, Marveaux replacing Obertan and maybe Ben Arfa for Best. The first two of those are pretty vital though imo, the Ben Arfa/Best situation I can take or leave at the moment.

If it's...

Krul

Santon  Taylor  Colo  R.Taylor

HBA  Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

Ba  Best

then we win. Quite comfortably. 4-0. And Martinez gets the sack.

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2011/10/250619_Newcastle_United.jpg

Yeah, i'd definitely be looking to go with this against Wigan. There's absolutely no reason why we can't really take the game to them and attack.

Neither Ba or Best deserve to be dropped. Whilst they don't work seamlessly in tandem, they both hold the ball up and contribute to the next phase of play from a goal-kick. For so long we've seen goal-kicks aimlessly hoofed forward to the likes of Shola and whatnot, and achieved little from those positions. Carroll wasn't the best at holding it up either. These two though, they both trap the ball well and allow other players in. And that'll be a big asset with all three of Jonas, Cabaye and Ben Arfa waiting in support.

Obertan and Simpson don't deserve to be in the team. I'm not keen on chucking the defense all over the shop, so Santon straight in for Simpson is fine with me. Taylor's doing well down that other side.

We've got to be confident but i mean, when's this run gonna come to an end? Home to Wigan would be particularly gutting cos i don't rate them whatsoever. I'll go for a cautious 2-1...

tbh with the players we have the difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 is pretty academic, it's basically where you choose to draw the wingers in the diagram. I think since we seem to be using wingers who cut inside I prefer to describe it as 4-2-3-1, demonstrates the slight reduction in width, whereas 4-4-1-1 seems to imply wide men. Marveaux maybe can do both. Either description makes sense really.

It'd be very harsh to give Ben Arfa the nod over Marveaux like.

As for the result we'll probably get beat thanks to JH and his daft threat.

:razz:

:snod: Hopefully, revenge for my negativity in previous weeks being shown up.