Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

We're not going to get any plaudits this week though! More cries of "false position" - and if you'd watched just that game, not far off the mark.

Did you really expect us to p*ss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

Yep. Winning when you're playing badly. :thup:

Guest VaVaVoom

Another 3 points!

Lets be honest we weren't great today but we got the result we wanted and it was another test and showing of our battling side which won us the game in the end.

Wigan worked hard, they were always going to make it difficult if we didnt get up and at them from the off.

They had chances, we had more chances...Actually we done better in every department on the pitch and had Pardew brought Marveaux on at half time instead of letting Obertan kill our play time and time again we may of won it by a couple more.

Delighted for Cabaye! Its been coming and we werent dissapointed. Very tidy finishing arriving late in the box is exactly what we need to be doing more of, needless to say it was a Marveaux assist who done far more in his brief cameo than what Obertan has in every game he's played.

Pardew....He's done well, made the right subs today but surely this has to show that Marveaux has to be starting?

All in all im very pleased with another win and there were many positives from today, looking forward to the development squad against Blackburn now.

Krul - 7. Crucial early save but his kicking was dreadful all match.

Simpson - 6. Did nothing going forward as usual, but defended pretty well. Arguably saved a goal just after we took the lead, after shepherding-out Rodallega's pass across the six-yard area.

Coloccini - 7. Came too high at times in the first half but pretty dominant.

STaylor - 7. Played well.

RTaylor - 6. Frustrating in the final third and targeted during the first half. Came out of it alright though.

Obertan - 3. Woeful. Absolute horseshite.

Cabaye - 7. Quiet game but a tremendous finish. Absolutely ecstatic that he's got his first goal; was only a matter of time.

Tiote - 7. A few slips, a couple of which were pretty frightening, but kept possession well in the later stages and was vital in us closing the game out.

Jonas - 8. Thought he was our best player. Helped out at the back, won possession on numerous occasions, and frequently a thorn in their defense. Really good game.

Ba - 6. Quiet, probably should've scored.

Best - 6. As above - thought he was harshly taken off and would've been more use in the second half given the amount of long balls.

Subs:

Ben Arfa - 5. Showed glimpses but pretty gash tbf. Simply gonna be a case of 'wait and see'.

Shola - 7. Held up the ball well.

Marveaux - 8. Quality, get him in the team.

We're not going to get any plaudits this week though! More cries of "false position" - and if you'd watched just that game, not far off the mark.

Did you really expect us to p*ss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

Plus I don't like it when the media praise us, it makes me nervous.

Did you really expect us to piss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

I expected us, not unreasonably, to play much better than that.

Not a very good performance, but 3 points are 3 points.

However, that Alienhead Obertan has to be on the bench, I don't think I've ever witnessed such a frustrating player. Obviously has the potential, but doesn't seem to have the intelligence do to anything. And Ben Arfa still seems a bit out of shape, but think he deserve a start even if he only plays 45, 50minutes.

Was looking pretty dreary for a while there, 19 points is fucking magnificent. Don't like seeing the clock being run down, but we did it well.

Obertan was very wasteful.

Jonas great in defense - needs more of a chance to get forward.

Arfa very rusty again but got into the game after his run and shot, still got that lightning strike on him.

Marveaux in next game Alan.

Felt far more confident with Marveaux on the ball than I ever have with Obertan anywhere near it. The very epitome of a headles chicken. Mellon-heed just runs at players, not past them or round them and ends up getting simply disposessed nearly every time. If he does get past his man, his end product makes Jonas look like Pele. About as much vision as Stevie Wonder.

Still, good win. Happy with 3 points no matter how they come. Lovely lay off by Marveaux, lovely goal too. Ben Arfa looks like he's not lost any pace either which is good but his general play was rusty even though he was trying to do the right things. It'll come.

Krul  7

Simpson  6

Taylor  6

Coloccini  8

Taylor  6

Obertan  5

Tiote  7

Cabaye  7

Jonas  7

Best  6

Ba  6

HBA  6

Shola  6

Marveaux  6

Fairest post you've made. 100% my thoughts.

I'd give Jonas at least a 7.5. Thought he was fantastic

That.

Guest efullerton

I'm glad to see HBA get 45 min., but some of his decisions on the ball were abysmal. I hope he plays the full 90 in the cup tie; he needs to settle quickly if he is going to hope to offer something better than the Best/Ba combination.

Guest Roger Kint

Krul  7

Simpson  6

Taylor  6

Coloccini  8

Taylor  6

Obertan  5

Tiote  7

Cabaye  7

Jonas  7

Best  6

Ba  6

HBA  6

Shola  6

Marveaux  6

Fairest post you've made. 100% my thoughts.

I'd give Jonas at least a 7.5. Thought he was fantastic

Fantastic? He got better as the game went on and played much better second half(not difficult considering he was abysmal first 15 mins or so) but seriously?

Guest VaVaVoom

I'm running low on patience for Pardew with Obertan. He's clearly still learning the game and best suited to a more stretched and open game, a tight compact one like today was never ever going to suit his languid sloppy style.

It'll be a similar story at Stoke so for me Marveaux has to start.

Spot on.

Todays game is actually good prep for Stoke.

Lets hope lessons have been learned.

Santon for Raylor, Marveaux for Obertan and Ben Arfa for Ba or Best depending who is on it in training.

Charlie on SSN saying we haven't played anyone yet to be tested. We have played half the teams we can play and test we have got to come up against Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea but lets be honest we aren't challenging them for the title.

I agree with the general consensus on Marveaux. He got into the game right away and showed composure and variety. I can only think that Pardew is concerned about him defensively, but seeing that Obertan isn't any great shakes in that department I don't understand the decision.

Ben Arfa showed some nice touches but also some very silly decision-making. Mentally he doesn't look quite there yet.

Jonas - man of the match for me. We're starting to take his good performances for granted, but he was great again today.

I'm running low on patience for Pardew with Obertan. He's clearly still learning the game and best suited to a more stretched and open game, a tight compact one like today was never ever going to suit his languid sloppy style.

It'll be a similar story at Stoke so for me Marveaux has to start.

Spot on.

Todays game is actually good prep for Stoke.

Lets hope lessons have been learned.

Santon for Raylor, Marveaux for Obertan and Ben Arfa for Ba or Best depending who is on it in training.

Didn't think he did much wrong today.

Warren Barton cheesin' his face off.

Was in Orlando for the Spurs game last week, with my daughter watching the game in a British bar (after Breakfast there) and I noticed Warren Barton trying to be neutral and failing !

Spurs fans there were utter knob ends, and I took delight in making comments - my daughter stopped me, then was almost as bad herself - they are all wankers, mind. Without exception it seems

I appreciate Wigan are fighting for their lives, but I don't think that should detract from a poor performance by our side - and neither our opposition's predicament nor three points should not exculpate any valid criticism of our performance. As I mentioned, happy with three points [ecstatic, in fact] but highly concerned that Santon is not yet starting, Obertan is still starting and how slow we are starting games.