Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

Krul 7 - misses out on an 8 due to poor distribution at times

Simpson 7- Attacked well enough and did his job defensively

Coloccini- 7 Needed a bit more leadership from our captain in the first half when the team was flat, Coloccini was also sloppy at times

S.Taylor- 6 Some brilliant pieces of defending and also some sloppy such as the gifted header to Diame at the end

R.Taylor- 6 Poor Defensively. however whipped in a dangerous ball that resulted in our goal

Obertan- 4 Lacks a football brain and confidence for all the natural athleticism he has.

Tiote- 7 Played well enough  though found it hard being outnumbered in midfield. Gave the ball away needlessly at times

Cabaye- 7 Was anonymous for much of the game, appears slow at times. However clearly has quality on the ball with an incredible goal

Jonas- 8 Was immense again. He is our key player at the moment. Recovers the ball defensively, wins free kicks, gets into dangerous areas.

Best- 6 Good physical presence and skill at times. Limited service

Ba- 6 See Best

Marveaux- 7 Can see the quality, got an assist, plays the game simple

Ameobi- 6 Looked to be same old Ameobi today. However won some vital free kicks at the end

Hatem Ben Arfa- 6 Can see the glimpses of the quality, lacks match sharpness

We're not going to get any plaudits this week though! More cries of "false position" - and if you'd watched just that game, not far off the mark.

Did you really expect us to piss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

Fully expected a turgid 1-0 win- even called it in pre match thread. So often with many teams, for whatever reason after an enthrawling exciting match- the next game is a bit 'After the lord mayors show'

I appreciate Wigan are fighting for their lives, but I don't think that should detract from a poor performance by our side - and neither our opposition's predicament nor three points should not exculpate any valid criticism of our performance. As I mentioned, happy with three points [ecstatic, in fact] but highly concerned that Santon is not yet starting, Obertan is starting and how slow we are starting games.

We seemed a bit lacklustre today in general. Far more relaxed about letting them pass it around in midfield, didnt really burst fowards when we had it etc.

Just seemed like a game the players were taking for granted as many of us were really, think it was more of a mentality issue.

I appreciate Wigan are fighting for their lives, but I don't think that should detract from a poor performance by our side - and neither our opposition's predicament nor three points should not exculpate any valid criticism of our performance. As I mentioned, happy with three points [ecstatic, in fact] but highly concerned that Santon is not yet starting, Obertan is starting and how slow we are starting games.

Nowt wrong with grinding out results tbh, we have looked the better side in many games against the "top 4" and went on to loose.

Charlie on SSN saying we haven't played anyone yet to be tested. We have played half the teams we can play and test we have got to come up against Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea but lets be honest we aren't challenging them for the title.

And these people are pundits and get paid.

FFS.

Guest VaVaVoom

We haven't done the whole "play badly and still win" thing, yet, so i'm chuffed with that. We're ticking off various things in the 'good side' criteria.

Its all looking good isnt it!?

Almost half way to the so called important 40 mark after only 9 games. Sitting nicely in 4th, playing pretty good football at times whilst having one of the best defensive records in the league so far. Not bad for a team still finding their feet together.

I actually think the next few games are going to be results we need to grind out...Stoke and Everton, results we've struggled to get in recent years yet we have shown a few times already that we have it in us. I seriously cant wait for it all to click. It would be mint if it was when we meet the big three and cause some shocks!

We're not going to get any plaudits this week though! More cries of "false position" - and if you'd watched just that game, not far off the mark.

Did you really expect us to piss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

I expected us, not unreasonably, to play much better than that.

You're not going to play well every week. That's the worst we've played over a full 90 (mainly down to complacency) and yet we still dug out a win and kept a clean sheet - speaks volumes.

Krul  7

Simpson  6

Taylor  6

Coloccini  8

Taylor  6

Obertan  5

Tiote  7

Cabaye  7

Jonas  7

Best  6

Ba  6

HBA  6

Shola  6

Marveaux  6

Fairest post you've made. 100% my thoughts.

I'd give Jonas at least a 7.5. Thought he was fantastic

Fantastic? He got better as the game went on and played much better second half(not difficult considering he was abysmal first 15 mins or so) but seriously?

Must agree with toonarmy. After Jonas signed a new contract he has been excellent, even his crosses seem to be much better.

There was a real patience to our game today, we were like an Italian side. We just waited and waited and waited until it was time to score that perfect goal.

Selective memory much? We were pretty wasteful with the ball most of the time, until Marveaux came on.

Did you really expect us to p*ss all over them? Wigan are already fighting for their lives, they had reason to be a lot more motivated than us. Grinding out a result in a game like this is pretty encouraging if you ask me.

You're not going to play well every week. That's the worst we've played over a full 90 (mainly down to complacency) and yet we still dug out a win and kept a clean sheet - speaks volumes.

Agreed look at Man Utd against Norwich a couple of weeks ago. Outplayed for a majority of the game, yet they still won.

For the record, I am not disputing that it's great that we won (indeed, I believe I highlighted I was ecstatic) - but I see nothing wrong in acknowledging a poor performance with the continuation of some worrying trends.

Guest Dontooner

Aye Marveaux is a key key player for us to play fancy football....

Said this sometime ago he would be the link between midfield and attack. Not HBA or Cabaye .

Ben has to improve his football brain(decision making) as he has the awareness of what is moving around him but not making the passes when he should and dribbling when he needs to. Obviously this is going to take a bit of time....

Charlie on SSN saying we haven't played anyone yet to be tested. We have played half the teams we can play and test we have got to come up against Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea but lets be honest we aren't challenging them for the title.

Sounds like he just doesn't like to see us doing well, same as all the "expert pundits" who had us down to be relegated this season...cock ends the lot of them.

To be honest we did OK in the second half. I think the problem for much of the match is that Cabaye was getting marked out by a 5 man midfield, but as wer brought other faces on he found a lot more space and it was just a case of us passing it about and staying tight at the back until the space presented itself.