Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

Thought it was a real shame today that some of the crowd went back to the days of getting on the players backs, sometimes for practically f*** all. Feel really sorry for Obertan, wonder what the poor lad is thinking, must have been a right punch in the nads when all them arsewipes sarcastically cheered him off.

Some people are so out of touch with reality, i'm sure a lot of them are the same clowns that contributed to Bobbys sacking and then a few years later sing his name and pretend they never wanted him gone.

Comparing Bobby Robson and Obertan ffs :lol:

even cheik isnt getting yellows everygame. Definatly something weird going on because teams like man united and chelsea were top last year for "respect to referees" haha

Sums up how there's absolutely no point reading too much into those bullshit ratings. Yellows, reds, fouls. That's about all I'd take notice of. The respect to referees/opponents and positive play is all subjective, open to manipulation, just generally a crock of pointless shit.

Some Pardew speak

"He (Cabaye) nearly didn't play. He had a knock yesterday and a fitness test at the training ground today. So thank goodness he played," said the Toon boss.

"He's a class player. He's a class person, actually. He brings an elegance to the side.

"He's just a level-headed, good footballer. He's in an area where we've got competition. His quality shows every week."

He added: "I'm pleased he's hit a real cracker to get him off and running.

"The goal was special. Even if our fans were a little bit disappointed by our performance, it was worth the admission fee just for the goal."

Pardew admits his side were dominated by the visitors in the opening half but was impressed by their comeback in the second after his half-time pep talk.

"Great credit to Wigan in terms of their approach to the game," he added. "They played good football. They were faster and crisper than us.

"It was just resilience, a fantastic save from the goalie and some desperate defending that kept us in the game (in the first half).

"In the second half I thought we were better, after a little chat."

"We appreciate that in the first nine games we've surprised even ourselves," he said.

"But there are times when you've got to look at a side and say it's got some quality in it. It must have to get 19 points. That doesn't just appear.

"We've had three or four games where perhaps people have said we were fortunate to win and we've had our share of luck. But there's also something else that suggests there is something in the team and we could have a big season.

"How big it is depends on results, of course, and how we perform when adversity comes. We haven't really had that yet. The side has really settled, the injuries have been good. So that helps."

Guest magpie99

Watched the game live here in Oz at 3am in the morning and whilst I thought Wigan bettered us for the majority of the first half, in the end, we were just about worth the win.

Krul 9 - Didnt put a foot wrong and like last week against Spurs, came up with a game saving save of real world class. He commands his box well and his confidence is rising with every game. My main worry about him is how long are we going to be able to keep hold of him.

Simpson 7 - He played very well and defended some dangerous moments. I thought this was his best game for a while.

S,Taylor 8 - Played very well and made a couple of exeptional blocks particularly on Rodellega in the 2nd half. I thought considerring he had his nose broken, he was brave, winning most things in the air. He is improving with every game.

Colocinni 9 - Outstanding game once again. His defending was spot on and his release of the ball into the midfield was excellent. Hope he signs his contractg soon.

R.Taylor 6 - I thought Moses gave him a hiding, particul;arly in the first half but he never dropped his head. He also provided the left footed cross to Marveaux for the goal and wasnt far off with a free kick either.

Obertan 5 - This lad has lots of speed, promise but verty little end result. He reminds me of an old fashioned winger who runs with his head down. I am sure if he was coached by an expert winger, he would improve but until that happens, the lad is a frustration to our team.

Tiote 6 - Not one of his better games probably because we were outnumbered in the middle but today, he gave away the ball a lot and looked off the pace.

Cabaye 7 - Like Tiote, he was ,imited until later on because of being outnumbered in the middle. I thought we played far too deep until the last 20 mins. However, his superb goal made up for a lot of earlier errors.

Guttierez 8 - I thought he was magnificent all day. His tracking back was terrific and they were really frightened of him whhen he ran at them. A superb cross for the Best header in the first half which should have been put away

Ba 6 - Other than a header early in the second half, he didnt seem to pose much of a threat and because we were playinng too deeply, he was coming up the field to often to receive the ball.

Best 6 - I was surprised he was taken off to be honest because I thought he played well in the first half although he should have planted the header he had from Jonas cross. His ability to twist and turn defenders was good. Chances were more or less at a premium and he should have scored that header.

Subs:

Ben Arfa 5 - I thought he over did most things and didnt seem to be interested in releasing the ball and sub sequently was caught too often in possession. However, one run and shot shows promise and when he is fully match fit, he will be an asset. He really also needs a hard tackle on his leg so he can be confident it will take a tackle.

Marveaux 8 - Exceptional performance for the limited amount of time on the park. He never gave the ball away and his [pass for the goal was beautifully weighted. He is a must to start from now on.

Ameobi 6 - He did OK when he came on. He held the ball up well and brought others into game but there were no opportunities for him like last week.

Pardew 7 - I thought he had us playing too deep, especially in midfield and he took too long in bringing off Obertan. Other than that, it was a difficult game against a reasonable side but my fear is that if we give the likes of MU, City and Chelsea the chances Wigan had in the first half, we would have got thumped.

depends what's more important to you, the team playing well or dedicating one day a week to pissing and moaning at the players

That's not what he's said, he's just pointing out that Obertan is getting games when he's not earning his place in the team.

I agree,doesn't really need to be pointed out. My comment was aimed at the fans that jeered him off,out of some weird satisfaction that they get from slagging players at games,which is only gonna dent his already fragile confidence.

Thought it was a real shame today that some of the crowd went back to the days of getting on the players backs, sometimes for practically f*** all. Feel really sorry for Obertan, wonder what the poor lad is thinking, must have been a right punch in the nads when all them arsewipes sarcastically cheered him off.

Some people are so out of touch with reality, i'm sure a lot of them are the same clowns that contributed to Bobbys sacking and then a few years later sing his name and pretend they never wanted him gone.

Was gonna post something similar to this,there's so many people at the match that know absolutely fuck all about the game,which us fine in itself,but detrimental when you're gonna jeer your own players.

Fans are getting carried away already and the moaning was in over drive yesterday.

Was gonna post something similar to this,there's so many people at the match that know absolutely fuck all about the game,which us fine in itself,but detrimental when you're gonna jeer your own players.

Fans are getting carried away already and the moaning was in over drive yesterday.

:thup:

My sister's in laws used to own a few posh seats in the Milburn a couple of years back before their business went belly up. Some of the people or rather things you'd hear people say in relation to the team both at the pre match meal and then sitting watching the match were nothing other than cringeworthy. I remember one little arsewipe who it was pointed out was one of the biggest importers of fruit in the country or some bollocks shouting "we just want to be entertained" ffs  :knuppel2:  :undecided: :kasper: Awful stuff :lol:

Anyone who shouts "shoot!" at any player who has the ball outside the box, needs to be shot themselves. Prize prat in front of us does it literally every game and then laughs. Moron.

I sit next to the "useless cunt" brigade. Literally EVERYONE is a useless cunt at one point in the match.

In fact, someone went down and the assistant flagged to give us a freekick - and one of the fuckers still stood up and screamed "So your flag does work you useless cunt?!" :lol:

Anyone who shouts "shoot!" at any player who has the ball outside the box, needs to be shot themselves. Prize prat in front of us does it literally every game and then laughs. Moron.

probably did it once 20 years ago, got a laugh, and has lived on that moment for two decades, fuking sad bastard :lol:

I wasn't at the game yesterday but I get the feeling the 'fans' we lost when we got relegated have started to make a return. As it has already been said, too many are going expecting spankings and/or looking like the big man infront of their mates. People really need to take a step back and just look where we are - up in fourth, unbeaten, gaining a point/all 3 in games where we previously crumbled, witnessing a togetherness stretching from AP down to the academy and all the time whilst we're not firing on all fronts. There are always going to be weak areas (forgetting Obertan's confidence levels for this arguement, look at the stick Raylor and Simpson are getting despite having one of the tightest defences in the country) but we shouldn't be expecting. I agree a home game against Wigan is a game we should be winning but getting on players backs after a few misplaced balls? Pathetic.

I'd hate to think what damage these 'supporters' would have done to the team and themselves had they been at either of the Wembley cup finals, either game in the Marseille/Manure semi final week, the day we were relegated at Villa, being beaten at Blackpool and being stuffed 3-0 to Derby in the Championship season etc. If they believe we have a right to be up in the top four and winning stuff, please politely fuck off to the likes of Liverpool/Spurs and allow the rest of us to take away whatever positives we individually go to the football for!

My only annoyance yesterday was the teams unwillingness to pop a shot away, Ben arfa finding himself In perfect position to get one away but opting to dribble a bit more.

Other than that I was fairly pleased with the match, resilience in the team is quite evident and if you can win games when not putting in silky performances your onto a winner.

I wasn't at the game yesterday but I get the feeling the 'fans' we lost when we got relegated have started to make a return. As it has already been said, too many are going expecting spankings and/or looking like the big man infront of their mates. People really need to take a step back and just look where we are - up in fourth, unbeaten, gaining a point/all 3 in games where we previously crumbled, witnessing a togetherness stretching from AP down to the academy and all the time whilst we're not firing on all fronts. There are always going to be weak areas (forgetting Obertan's confidence levels for this arguement, look at the stick Raylor and Simpson are getting despite having one of the tightest defences in the country) but we shouldn't be expecting. I agree a home game against Wigan is a game we should be winning but getting on players backs after a few misplaced balls? Pathetic.

I'd hate to think what damage these 'supporters' would have done to the team and themselves had they been at either of the Wembley cup finals, either game in the Marseille/Manure semi final week, the day we were relegated at Villa, being beaten at Blackpool and being stuffed 3-0 to Derby in the Championship season etc. If they believe we have a right to be up in the top four and winning stuff, please politely fuck off to the likes of Liverpool/Spurs and allow the rest of us to take away whatever positives we individually go to the football for!

top post