Newcastle United 1 - 0 Wigan - 22/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Beren

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Thought it was a real shame today that some of the crowd went back to the days of getting on the players backs, sometimes for practically f*** all. Feel really sorry for Obertan, wonder what the poor lad is thinking, must have been a right punch in the nads when all them arsewipes sarcastically cheered him off.

Some people are so out of touch with reality, i'm sure a lot of them are the same clowns that contributed to Bobbys sacking and then a few years later sing his name and pretend they never wanted him gone.

Was gonna post something similar to this,there's so many people at the match that know absolutely fuck all about the game,which us fine in itself,but detrimental when you're gonna jeer your own players.

Fans are getting carried away already and the moaning was in over drive yesterday.

:thup:

I wasn't at the game yesterday but I get the feeling the 'fans' we lost when we got relegated have started to make a return. As it has already been said, too many are going expecting spankings and/or looking like the big man infront of their mates. People really need to take a step back and just look where we are - up in fourth, unbeaten, gaining a point/all 3 in games where we previously crumbled, witnessing a togetherness stretching from AP down to the academy and all the time whilst we're not firing on all fronts. There are always going to be weak areas (forgetting Obertan's confidence levels for this arguement, look at the stick Raylor and Simpson are getting despite having one of the tightest defences in the country) but we shouldn't be expecting. I agree a home game against Wigan is a game we should be winning but getting on players backs after a few misplaced balls? Pathetic.

I'd hate to think what damage these 'supporters' would have done to the team and themselves had they been at either of the Wembley cup finals, either game in the Marseille/Manure semi final week, the day we were relegated at Villa, being beaten at Blackpool and being stuffed 3-0 to Derby in the Championship season etc. If they believe we have a right to be up in the top four and winning stuff, please politely fuck off to the likes of Liverpool/Spurs and allow the rest of us to take away whatever positives we individually go to the football for!

Good stuff mate :thup:

As far as Cabaye and Tiote go, I wouldn't say either of them 'went missing' yesterday.  The problem comes when, like the QPR game (I think), the opposition put an extra man in midfield and the two of them struggle to find space and time on the ball and find themselves doing a lot of chasing off it. 

It's not a coincidence that when Ben Arfa came on at half time Cabaye in particular was more visible as an attacking threat and the replacement of Obertan with Marveaux saw a marked improvement in midfield.  Marveaux was more willing to tuck in and help out in the centre when needed whereas Obertan plays more as a proper winger keeping his boots on the touchline.  I thought this evened things up in the centre compared to the first half when our two CMs, although putting in a great shift, were struggling to impose themselves and influence the game against greater numbers.

It should be noted, though, that while Obertan didn't have the best of games going forward he did seem to be chasing back and performing his defensive duties much better than he has in previous games.

Guest pintofscottsellers

terrible game yesterday like, three points though so can't really complain, was sat in what has got to be the worst area of the ground atmosphere wise, north east stand, there was a fat wife who just eat starburst all game and gave bad lucks every time a said fuck, still though had a tenner on cabaye and won 100 notes and av still got 20 left in me wallet, happy days ! 

It was quite evident though. When you play with 1 forward, you have til fill up with players around that box and cabaye did it very well trying to link up with hba. Hba just him alot but seems like he ain't up to speed yet misplacing a few passes. But he sees the space everytime. He's quick with his feet. But he hasn't touched a ball in so long you can see how he misplaces his own touches.

When he carries the ball you can see it isn't your normal kick it ahead of you touch. It more looks like he touches it infront of him with good speed but with a bit of a undertwist making it stop much earlier. It makes our players surprised alot it seems when he gives the ball to them. At the same time when carrying the ball he gets far more touches of it.

Guest WashyGeordie

Anyone who shouts "shoot!" at any player who has the ball outside the box, needs to be shot themselves. Prize prat in front of us does it literally every game and then laughs. Moron.

That could be a p*ssed up me, tbh.  :lol:

Anyone who shouts "shoot!" at any player who has the ball outside the box, needs to be shot themselves. Prize prat in front of us does it literally every game and then laughs. Moron.

I have an annoying habit of shouting HIT IT ... HIT IT ... HIT IT! (He then hits it) .. Should've took a touch.

I must be in a minority who sits around decent folks with reasonable views on the players and team. :lol:

FWIW I didn't think the atmosphere was too bad considering how bland our football was. I was dreading some booing at half time(!) but there was a decent amount of neutral applause instead - again maybe I only heard the people around our seat. When Obertan went off it was more a case of 'about time' rather than 'get the fuck off, you're shit' IMO. And it was about time.

I have an annoying habit of shouting HIT IT ... HIT IT ... HIT IT! (He then hits it) .. Should've took a touch.

wrong thread?

I really don't like the collective audible groans when we lose possession. It's so fucking exaggerated and stupid. If we're restless, it's likely to make the players anxious and revert to long-ball football to get goals quickly - which neither works or is suited to us.

Even when we were just passing the ball around our back four, trying to tire out an impressively energetic and pressing Wigan front line - you could hear murmurs of discontent growing. Not to sound like a superfan, but I really can't stand those fans. The same type that blame every move breakdown on Jonas. :angry:

It's becoming clear that adding Marveaux to the right will give the side much more control, patience in attack and ultimately much more of a threat down the right. Right now Jonas is playing out of his skin but we aren't getting near enough down the right side. The disappointing thing is that in the interview the other night Pardew sounded like they were right on the ball with the Obertan issue with not attacking the full back enough and therefore offering nothing as a threat (apart from his pace). So for him to have such a poor game when they've clearly spent time with him in training is a bit worrying....................none of our players deserve to be fucking jeered off though and it's completely counterproductive.

It's becoming clear that adding Marveaux to the right will give the side much more control, patience in attack and ultimately much more of a threat down the right. Right now Jonas is playing out of his skin but we aren't getting near enough down the right side. The disappointing thing is that in the interview the other night Pardew sounded like they were right on the ball with the Obertan issue with not attacking the full back enough and therefore offering nothing as a threat (apart from his pace). So for him to have such a poor game when they've clearly spent time with him in training is a bit worrying....................none of our players deserve to be f***ing jeered off though and it's completely counterproductive.

This is the worrying thing for me with Obertan. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of progress and Pardew has already had to make excuses for his inclusion. If his confidence is really so low and brittle he shouldn't have been playing when Marveaux's been fit.

A good performance from Marveaux at Blackburn will surely see him in the lineup against Stoke away.....well you'd assume anyway. I think we may well see much better from Obertan in time maybe as an impact sub but right now it's not happening and Carver/Pardew are going to be earning their money to get him up to something resembling a threat.

wrong thread?

:lol: :lol:

Just got back from weekend in Toon, was at the game, and I had to get the incredibly nervy game. We didn't play great, thought both Tiote and Cabaye (bar the goal of course) had a bit of an off day, and I think Wigan were quite sensible in packing midfield and hitting us on the counter. Having said all that 3 points from a poor performance is great, though we really should be scoring more past Wigan.

Ba had a very quiet game, as had Best, though he impresssively beat defenders few time. HBA didn't seem to do all that much when came on which was disappointing, he obviously needs more game time. Yet again needs people closer to him supporting him on his dribbles.

Great goal, though honestly looks better now I've seen a vid of it, I couldn't have been further from it at the time.

Great result, poor performance, Marveaux needs to start ahead of obertan, I feel sorry for the lad really if his confidence is so low, but can't really let it hurt the team.

Krul was forced to make one good save, but we were never 'lucky'. Tbf, the rest of the report isn't far wrong.

Seems a common thing in footballing analysis nowadays. Good/important saves = 'they were lucky'.

Aye, it's not like the goalkeeper is a member of the team and their performance can ever contribute to a victory or anything.

Louise Taylor used to do exactly the same thing with Steve Harper. "Lucky he made that save."

I remember her saying that Harper was the biggest reason we won promotion. :lol: Horrible c***.

I keep drawing comparisons between the current season and 01/02, unexpectedly finding ourselves in the upper ecehelons of the division. Obviously there's no comparison between Sir Bobby and Pardew, but the teams are shaping up sort of similar - looking to play flowing football and a side packed with pace. New arrivals have made an impact, but rather than Bellamy & Robert we've got Cabaye and Ba. We do however lack the iconic number 9 but that's a small problem and ultimately the reason we won't emulate that great team.

The obvious comparisons that we started with a draw agaisnt top 4 opposition (rather more impressivelty in 2001 it must be said) however we then won our derby this year rather than drawing at home. Whilst we haven't had to face any more of the top 4 (so we can't match the 4-3 win over Man Utd yet), I'd comapre this to Spurs game as an action packed game ended with us feeling we really can hang with the top teams once more. We've also yet to have our "West Ham" and play awfully and get dicked 3-0 - some would argue the 0-0 at QPR can equal this in terms of performance but we avoided the defeat. Equally, we've had some luck this term as we did in 01/02, for example the Boro game, whilst we won 4-1 and played fantastically second half, it was against 10 men, after Schwarzer was sent off whereas Shay was only booked for a similar incident. It's easy to make comparisons between Given & Krul as Given saved us many times back then, something Krul is starting to do. I would compare the Boro win to our Wolves win, where although vastly different performances, we had some luck away from home and it continued a good start.

A laboured 1-0 win over to be relegated Leicester then followed, which is my comparison to yesterday's game. Which finally brings me to the point of this James of a post. Nobody will remember this game or the performance come the end of the season, but everyone will remember the league position. As miuch as it'd be nice to play champagne football every week, even when we were awesome it didn't always happen.

I keep drawing comparisons between the current season and 01/02, unexpectedly finding ourselves in the upper ecehelons of the division. Obviously there's no comparison between Sir Bobby and Pardew, but the teams are shaping up sort of similar - looking to play flowing football and a side packed with pace. New arrivals have made an impact, but rather than Bellamy & Robert we've got Cabaye and Ba. We do however lack the iconic number 9 but that's a small problem and ultimately the reason we won't emulate that great team.

The obvious comparisons that we started with a draw agaisnt top 4 opposition (rather more impressivelty in 2001 it must be said) however we then won our derby this year rather than drawing at home. Whilst we haven't had to face any more of the top 4 (so we can't match the 4-3 win over Man Utd yet), I'd comapre this to Spurs game as an action packed game ended with us feeling we really can hang with the top teams once more. We've also yet to have our "West Ham" and play awfully and get dicked 3-0 - some would argue the 0-0 at QPR can equal this in terms of performance but we avoided the defeat. Equally, we've had some luck this term as we did in 01/02, for example the Boro game, whilst we won 4-1 and played fantastically second half, it was against 10 men, after Schwarzer was sent off whereas Shay was only booked for a similar incident. It's easy to make comparisons between Given & Krul as Given saved us many times back then, something Krul is starting to do. I would compare the Boro win to our Wolves win, where although vastly different performances, we had some luck away from home and it continued a good start.

A laboured 1-0 win over to be relegated Leicester then followed, which is my comparison to yesterday's game. Which finally brings me to the point of this James of a post. Nobody will remember this game or the performance come the end of the season, but everyone will remember the league position. As miuch as it'd be nice to play champagne football every week, even when we were awesome it didn't always happen.

Good post, optimism around the place really is really refreshing at the minute. Most of us accept we won't be in the top 6 come May, top 10 would be good and anything above fantastic.

Think we will get beat on Monday mind. Just saying.