Looking ahead.............hypothetically

Guest magpie99

QPR a challenger for 7th? What is this? :lol:

Wondered that meself. :lol: No matter how much money they plough into the team in January, I can't see much more than just outside the top 10 max for their first season. Hell, wouldn't be surprised to see them slip into the relegation fight if they don't reinforce in January. Who knows how far they can push on though, if Fernandes is willing to put up some more cash over the next couple of years.

Europe is a long, long way away. But if we're talking hypothetically.....

By next year we should be looking to give Sammy and Vuckic more time on the pitch, I think both of these players would do well for our team, given a good run of games. Tavernier is also looking really promising (I know league 1) and could possibly be involved more next season. Haven’t got a clue about Abeid apart from the few crackers he’s scored.

Steven Fletcher always looks good when he plays for Wolves. Shame he's always injured though  :undecided:

Wigan, Watson and Diame are the best of a bad bunch there. Really liking the look of Diame, proper beast of a midfielder (can’t finish for toffee) who would be a nice back up for Tiote.

West Brom, Brunt is the obvious one here. What about Chris Wood, though? Tearing the Championship and Europe apart the kid is a real prospect.

By next year we should be looking to give Sammy and Vuckic more time on the pitch, I think both of these players would do well for our team, given a good run of games. Tavernier is also looking really promising (I know league 1) and could possibly be involved more next season. Haven’t got a clue about Abeid apart from the few crackers he’s scored.

Steven Fletcher always looks good when he plays for Wolves. Shame he's always injured though  :undecided:

Wigan, Watson and Diame are the best of a bad bunch there. Really liking the look of Diame, proper beast of a midfielder (can’t finish for toffee) who would be a nice back up for Tiote.

West Brom, Brunt is the obvious one here. What about Chris Wood, though? Tearing the Championship and Europe apart the kid is a real prospect.

I think Moses has looked good for Wigan this season - wouldn't mind seeing us in for him when Wigan go down (assuming we don't get Hoilett)

I think Moses has looked good for Wigan this season - wouldn't mind seeing us in for him when Wigan go down (assuming we don't get Hoilett)

Yeah Moses has looked good in patches, but his technique seems to let him down a bit. Best though :thup:

7th is still a reasonable target, and is now very attainable given our superb start. If we bounce back from probable defeats in the next few games, go on to make the right signings in January (and perhaps more importantly don't sell any of our key players), cope well with first teamers off in Africa and continue to be fortunate with injuries and suspensions then we have a chance of finishing higher. Very unlikely that all of this will happen IMO, but the opportunity is certainly there.

Barring a run of really bad luck with injuries, once we've got the next two games out of the way I think we'll continue to pick up points at a similar rate. We've not been playing Champions League-style football, but at the same time we've not been fluking results. In the last two games, I've felt very confident right from the first few minutes that we were going to end up winners.

What we've got is players who, for one reason or another, have the confidence and determination to play at their best. Guthrie on Saturday was unbelievable, but you could look at several others - Saylor, Best, Colo, Krul, Jonas etc - who are close to their peak. It's amazing what a team can achieve if you can keep enough players in that zone - particularly the ones of more modest talent.

I think our back-up is also better than is being acknowledged - Sammy looks ready, HBA looks keen to seize his chance. My concern would be an injury to one of our CBs whilst Williamson is still out.

So I don't think this team is going to politely step aside and let the likes of Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool through. They're going to have to knock us out of the way.

7th is still a reasonable target, and is now very attainable given our superb start. If we bounce back from probable defeats in the next few games, go on to make the right signings in January (and perhaps more importantly don't sell any of our key players), cope well with first teamers off in Africa and continue to be fortunate with injuries and suspensions then we have a chance of finishing higher. Very unlikely that all of this will happen IMO, but the opportunity is certainly there.

:nods:

1. Man City

2. Man Utd

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Liverpool

7-9. Newcastle/Aston Villa/Everton

There is no change we will finish above Liverpool unless we make some great signings in January.

I hate this "there's not chance to do this, no chance to win against them, no chance to do that".

We have a completely unproven, yet very well working team here. So just wait and see rather than to just write this group off or to say we will win the league or anything.

What I think is that our defence has been so strong so far this season that, without getting any major injuries to Coloccini and Taylor, we could go to any place in this league hoping for a draw/low score win.

:dave:

im not conceding nowt here like.

Probable, not certain. O0

Probable, not certain. O0

possible

As I've said before, excluding the "big 6" our team is definitely the next best in the league, something, unlike Sunderland, we are proving on paper and on the pitch.  It's also irrelevant how we do against City, Utd and Chelsea in our next 3 as they are a class above everyone else so even 1 point would be a bonus.  People also seem to forget that after these 3 matches we play the likes of Swansea, Norwich, Bolton and West Brom.  Teams who so far this season we've proven to be comfortably better than and teams we should be taking a lot of points off, so I really can't see how the wheels are gonna fall off and we're gonna plummet down the table.

We've also proven we can hold our own against the second best tier of teams in the league in Arsenal and Tottenham and we're also beating teams who we would expect to challenge around us like Everton and Stoke, so at this stage it would be madness to say 7th shouldn't be the minimum target.

I don't really see the obsession about 7th place, the team you've got have got you to 3rd, it's the depth of the squad that will/could hold you back.

Until Newcastle start losing games that are expected to be wins, I would have thought there would have been a lot more optimism about, and especially so if the squad is strengthened in January.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't really see the obsession about 7th place, the team you've got have got you to 3rd, it's the depth of the squad that will/could hold you back.

Until Newcastle start losing games that are expected to be wins, I would have thought there would have been a lot more optimism about, and especially so if the squad is strengthened in January.

DO NOT WANT TO LIVE UP TO STEREOTYPE, INNIT!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=deluded+geordies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=deluded+geordies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Being deluded is thinking you'll push on to challenge for the title this season.  Believing that you can continue to achieve beyond your pre-season expectations is having a winning mentality.  Newcastle have impressed this season because of the team ethic that is so obvious and which has got you points you might not have expected.  Liverpool have done nothing to make me think they are better than Newcastle, Arsenal could be in the same category should RVP and Vermaelen pick up lengthy injuries.

With a couple of signings and no injuries, if Newcastle finished above both f them, I for one wouldn't be unduly surprised.

I would have thought there would have been a lot more optimism about, and especially so if the squad is strengthened in January.

Barring the clowns sky sports news seem to interview, we're generally a very cautious bunch. Overly so, in a lot of cases.

Guest Howaythetoon

I truly believe we should be doing our utmost to finish in that top six and believe that we are good enough too. For me I look at all the sides in the division and see only 5 better than us and that's the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. I would add Liverpool but they only have one advantage over us and that's squad depth and Suarez.

I think in Ba we have something they don't have - a genuine goalscorer and in Best a genuine front man. We have the more balanced midfield and the better defence. What we lack is their overall depth and the Suarez factor, i.e someone capable of transoforming an average side.

Ben Arfa is the closest we have but our great start, settled and balanced side, make it hard for him to come in and be that man. I wouldn't be worried about Liverpool though and if I were Pardew I'd be telling the lads, better them and you're looking at the top six.

The Manchester clubs go without saying. They are by far the two best sides in the division. Arsenal are Arsenal, they have had a shit start but they have pedigree and real class in van Persie. Chelsea are similar, they too have that class and pedigree.

Spurs are a very good footballing side with a good overall squad. We can match them in a one off match but in terms of quality, first-team and squad depth they are perhaps one or two levels above us. Which leaves us Liverpool! I genuinley believe we are better than Everton, Villa, the mackems etc.

Liverpool. What they don't have that we do is our team spirit, our collectiveness, our ability to change tactics. They lack our more balanced first 11. They lack our form.

If they were to lose Suarez they would be screwed. of course we would be badly hit if we were to say lose Ba for example but with us you get the impression we will be hit less badly. In short we could cope which is what we've done all along. We lose Enrique and in comes a right back in Ryan Tyalor. We cope. We lose Carroll, in comes Best and we cope. We lose Nolan and Barton but we cope.

Where we would struggle is if we were to lose Colo or Tiote for any long period. January could be a huge month for us and we need to reinvest. Strike while we are hot if you like.

The biggest thing we have going for us however is the pressure factor. Liverpool must finish in the top 4 never mind the top 6 and in some circles they must put in a title challenge even. Secondly there is the games to play factor. Spurs are still in Europe and so are the other 'top four' lot, meaning more potential to drop points off the back of those extra games.

If we can keep our players fit and focused and keep playing the way we are and adding to our depth and strength in January why can we not look at finishing in the top 6 and actually achieving it, why not?

Again if I were Pardew I'd be pointing out are start, our form, our mean defence, our qualities and aiming for six at the least and of course the most realistic. It is doable and I would actually now be dispointed if we didn't try and give it our best shot because we are capable. We should fear no-one, not the Manchest clubs or Chelsea or Arsenal or Spurs and especially Liverpool.

I truly believe we should be doing our utmost to finish in that top six and believe that we are good enough too. For me I look at all the sides in the division and see only 5 better than us and that's the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. I would add Liverpool but they only have one advantage over us and that's squad depth and Suarez.

I think in Ba we have something they don't have - a genuine goalscorer and in Best a genuine front man. We have the more balanced midfield and the better defence. What we lack is their overall depth and the Suarez factor, i.e someone capable of transoforming an average side.

Ben Arfa is the closest we have but our great start, settled and balanced side, make it hard for him to come in and be that man. I wouldn't be worried about Liverpool though and if I were Pardew I'd be telling the lads, better them and you're looking at the top six.

The Manchester clubs go without saying. They are by far the two best sides in the division. Arsenal are Arsenal, they have had a shit start but they have pedigree and real class in van Persie. Chelsea are similar, they too have that class and pedigree.

Spurs are a very good footballing side with a good overall squad. We can match them in a one off match but in terms of quality, first-team and squad depth they are perhaps one or two levels above us. Which leaves us Liverpool! I genuinley believe we are better than Everton, Villa, the mackems etc.

Liverpool. What they don't have that we do is our team spirit, our collectiveness, our ability to change tactics. They lack our more balanced first 11. They lack our form.

If they were to lose Suarez they would be screwed. of course we would be badly hit if we were to say lose Ba for example but with us you get the impression we will be hit less badly. In short we could cope which is what we've done all along. We lose Enrique and in comes a right back in Ryan Tyalor. We cope. We lose Carroll, in comes Best and we cope. We lose Nolan and Barton but we cope.

Where we would struggle is if we were to lose Colo or Tiote for any long period. January could be a huge month for us and we need to reinvest. Strike while we are hot if you like.

The biggest thing we have going for us however is the pressure factor. Liverpool must finish in the top 4 never mind the top 6 and in some circles they must put in a title challenge even. Secondly there is the games to play factor. Spurs are still in Europe and so are the other 'top four' lot, meaning more potential to drop points off the back of those extra games.

If we can keep our players fit and focused and keep playing the way we are and adding to our depth and strength in January why can we not look at finishing in the top 6 and actually achieving it, why not?

Again if I were Pardew I'd be pointing out are start, our form, our mean defence, our qualities and aiming for six at the least and of course the most realistic. It is doable and I would actually now be dispointed if we didn't try and give it our best shot because we are capable. We should fear no-one, not the Manchest clubs or Chelsea or Arsenal or Spurs and especially Liverpool.

Good post