Pressure off?

Dave

Just wondering if that defeat could actually help us in the long run (ie the rest of the season). We all knew it was likely to be our first defeat and I've no doubt the players did too - no matter what they say in public - but now it's over and done with. It's not like we were battered either, on another day we could have got a draw out of that game.

Might it be that now we know we're not under pressure to keep that 0 in the lost column, we play with a bit more freedom? Pardew might feel the same as well, and make a few personnel and tactical changes he might have been clinging on to. Something a little more experimental?

Guest VaVaVoom

I think so.

I expect us to really have a go next weekend. The lads should be taking alot of positives from today.

AP HAS to make a couple of big changes however.

More positives than negatives to take out of the game IMO.

I'll be annoyed if we respect Man United as much as we did City though, made it easy for them at times today. Hopefully they'll have learned that though.

Don't buy into the 'pressure off' thing to be honest. See it more as halted momentum and possibly some of the wind/confidence knocked out of our sails. I like the positive thinking though!

I do agree that it presents an opportunity for us to change, and as has been said I think phasing out Raylor for Santon is inevitable - and this will form part of the path that leads to that. As mentioned, been very grateful for Raylor and he's overperformed but this isn't his first poor performance, just the first time it's cost us.

On a bittersweet note, it's a new chapter for us with HBA IMO. That was the first top class performance from him and while it's sad it began with a loss for the team, it might eventually lead us to a new level with HBA given a starting berth and Santon enabling us to play better football from the back. :)

On a bittersweet note, it's a new chapter for us with HBA IMO. That was the first top class performance from him and while it's sad it began with a loss for the team, it might eventually lead us to a new level with HBA given a starting berth and Santon enabling us to play better football from the back. :)

Very much so, I think one of the main problems with HBA (and I expect to be shot down here) but many are expecting to repeat Goodison all the time which is never going to happen. If he plays like he did today over the course of the season I'll be more than happy. He (like every left footer going) has got a proper swinger for his right like.

Guest VaVaVoom

Don't buy into the 'pressure off' thing to be honest. See it more as halted momentum and possibly some of the wind/confidence knocked out of our sails. I like the positive thinking though!

I do agree that it presents an opportunity for us to change, and as has been said I think phasing out Raylor for Santon is inevitable - and this will form part of the path that leads to that. As mentioned, been very grateful for Raylor and he's overperformed but this isn't his first poor performance, just the first time it's cost us.

I agree with Santon and Ben Arfa.

What Santon will bring is someone who is comfortable at LB, he is quick and fairly skillful. It will also allow Jonas to defend less and attack more, which we need. They could strike up a very good partnership just like Enrique and Jonas did.

Ben Arfa showed today what he is all about, he doesnt work very hard but very few mavericks do, do they? He is skillfull, magical, unpredictable and very direct. Perfect number 10 in the hole behind a striker. That there is the problem though. Who should that striker be? They are valid arguments for both Ba and Best.

Just wondering if that defeat could actually help us in the long run (ie the rest of the season). We all knew it was likely to be our first defeat and I've no doubt the players did too - no matter what they say in public - but now it's over and done with. It's not like we were battered either, on another day we could have got a draw out of that game.

Might it be that now we know we're not under pressure to keep that 0 in the lost column, we play with a bit more freedom? Pardew might feel the same as well, and make a few personnel and tactical changes he might have been clinging on to. Something a little more experimental?

Yep.

Had to end sometime and so it has. Has to add pressure when it's mentioned in every single press report.

The burden of a non-losing record hasn't hurt us up till today, like. It's merely preserved a feel-good factor and confidence throughout the team.

Not that I think it'll do us any harm either.

Agree with this. We'll take heart from the fact that it's taken the best team in the country to end the run, but no more than that. If we don't get a point from the next two games, i can see it hurting morale to a certain extent.

Guest VaVaVoom

I think he'd work better off best, but very hard to say Ba doesn't deserve to start, and probably would have to give him preference, ultimately may just be dependant on the game jiggle which 2 are playing

Yeah.

Ba's goals have him as 1st choice at the moment. Most likely be a rotation of all three.

I don't mind the loss, it just smarts a bit that we gave them the goals after being tight at the back all season. I think the unbeaten tag gave us a lot of belief, but even if it's gone I'm sure the lads will realise that if they can live with City they don't need to fear anyone. I thought we were a bit in awe of them in the first half but we were starting to get to grips with them until the two goal sucker punch.

I don't mind the loss, it just smarts a bit that we gave them the goals after being tight at the back all season. I think the unbeaten tag gave us a lot of belief, but even if it's gone I'm sure the lads will realise that if they can live with City they don't need to fear anyone. I thought we were a bit in awe of them in the first half but we were starting to get to grips with them until the two goal sucker punch.

Exactly, wonder if the international break stripped some of Raylor's confidence. We didn't put away our chances though, and City are going to put away theirs, right attitude for the team right now is to shrug and more on, and will be for this tough patch, we could lose the next 2 as well (though I very much think we shouldn't necessarily at all) and we need to be able to take that mental hit.

If we lose to Man Utd and Chelsea the pressure will be "on" going into the Norwich game.

That'll be the real test, not whether we get anything off these three (although I certainly fancy us to get a point against Chelsea at least) but how we respond when we get back to the bread and butter games after one or more defeats. Couldn't have picked four more favourable fixtures to follow really.