Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding Robert, ironically under Souness, for a spell, he was playing the best he ever played for us with lots of goals and assists and general good all-round performances. I think Souness wanted him to be more like the then Chelsea's Duff though, a player Souness had managed of course, I think he even said as such in an interview once.

Robert was an excellent player for us overall but extremely frustrating too. He'd fucking walk into our side right now though and would be one of the stand out players in the dividison. A true Toon hero for me.

Ginola though... he was on a different level at times.

Guest Howaythetoon

For anyone able to remember, just how good was Tony Green?

Everyone I know who attended games in those days rate him higher than Beardsley and even Gazza.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, we've had some fucking amazing players play for us, in almost every position, especially on the flanks, up top and in the middle of midfield. I dont want to compare and contrast but when the mackems are wanting a stand named after Sir Niall Quinn and regard the likes of Phillips as a legend, we have been blessed. Even today, Ba is a great player, as is Colo and Tiote. Of course they have long ways to go to become heroes, legends, icons etc. (Colo is already an icon and a hero and could well become a legend easily simply by ending his career here or staying for many more years), but watching them, you can see they are at the top end of top footballers rather than the bottom or middle tier.

Everyone I know who attended games in those days rate him higher than Beardsley and even Gazza.

:kasper:

I've seen one clip of him and he did look good like. But one clip just isn't enough. Such ashame he only played about 30 games i think?

Guest Howaythetoon

My old man and all my uncles said he would grace any side in the world like and that his inury was the bigget travesty to ever befall our club. He does look extremely good in some of the clips mind. Like he can control a game.

Guest vainsharpdad
Robert was an excellent player for us overall but extremely frustrating too. He'd f***ing walk into our side right now

Pardew wouldn't play him.

I'd certainly credit him with the best individual performance I've ever seen from a Newcastle player. Old Trafford 1972, Man U 0, Newcastle 2. He dominated the opposition from first whistle to last.

He had this change of pace and direction that would take him through gaps before opponents could react. On form, it was difficult for them to get near him, let alone put in a tackle.

i know its hard to pick players that you've never seen but when you are picking the greatest NUFC of all time you have to go back in history and players like Milburn etc are obvious picks but the first name on the list has got to be Colin Veitch.  The captain and best player during NUFC's golden period in its history. 

Veitch captained the successful United side which won League Championships in 1905, 1907 and 1909, the FA Cup in 1910 and were FA Cup finalists in 1905, 1906, 1908 and 1911.

Exactly.

I would have picked Jimmy Lawrence over Given as well and probably Hughie Gallacher over Milburn or Shearer. Gallacher's goal record for us was astonishing.

Frank Hudspeth should be getting a look in too playing for nearly 20 years and being our highest outfield appeared player.

Exactly.

I would have picked Jimmy Lawrence over Given as well and probably Hughie Gallacher over Milburn or Shearer. Gallacher's goal record for us was astonishing.

Frank Hudspeth should be getting a look in too playing for nearly 20 years and being our highest outfield appeared player.

My grandad used to wax lyrical over Ronnie Simpson. The same with Len White too.

Exactly.

this is the team i sent in, i put Hughie up front and put Milburn out to the right wing, bit of a cheat but only way to get those 2 and Shearer into the side and Milburn did start as a winger...

went for players with longevity and success.

Shay Given                  462 games for NUFC

Joe Harvey                  247 games, 12 goals  captained NUFC to FA cup wins in 1951 and 1952

Frank Clark                  456 games 1 goal,  member of the fair cup winning team

Bobby Moncur            343 games 8 goals  captain of the 1969 fairs cup winning side.

Bill McCracken            432 games 8 goals won 3 league titles, 1 FA cup and twice runner up in the FA cup.

Jackie Milburn            397 games 200 goals  won 3 FA cups in 51,52 and 55

Colin Veitch                321games and 49 goals captained NUFC to 3 league titles in 1905,1907,1909 and FA Cup win in 1910 as well as cup runners up in  1905,1906,1908 and 1911

Peter Beardsley          320 games and 119 goals

Bobby Mitchell          408 games and 113 goals won 3 FA cups in 51,51 & 55

Alan Shearer                395 games and 206 goals

Hughie Gallagher      174 games  143 goals and captain of last side to win the Div 1 championship.

Total of 3955 appearances  and 859 goals,  7 Div 1 league winners, 10 FA cup wins,  2 fairs cup winners ….

it's like trying to pick your top 10 singles, it changes all the time, often depending on mood.

right now, fvrom my time watching....

given

nattrass    woodgate    moncur    kennedy

solano        lee    speed      ginola

gascoigne

shearer

beardsley, robert, keegan, supermac, howey,enrique, krul, on the bench

Good selection that , madras. I picked Chris Waddle in my team but your team looks to have more balance . :thup:

i went for players as they were for us, if not waddle would have got on the right as he sometime did at marseilles.

I like Binnsy's team :thup:

My team was this...

GK: Jimmy Lawrence

RB: Irving Natrass

CH: Frank Hudspeth

CH: Joe Harvey

LB: Alan Kennedy

RW: Jack Rutherford

CM: Paul Gascogine

CM: Peter Beardsley

LM: Tony Green

CF: Hughie Gallacher

CF: Alan Shearer

Manager: Kevin Keegan

I went for a similar view of Binnsy to pick players that were succesful etc etc.