Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

cant argue against the cole/ ferdy comments.

but i wud go with

Beardsley ( in the hole)

Shearer Cole

I'll post it again since it was the last bastard post on the previous page.

Dream away  :drool:

Perez

Edgar        Coloccini        Albert      Duff

Am Faye

Gillespie                                      Robert

Beardsley

Shearer                    Cole

cant argue against the cole/ ferdy comments.

but i wud go with

Beardsley ( in the hole)

Shearer Cole

I'll post it again since it was the last bastard post on the previous page.

Dream away  :drool:

Perez

Am Faye

Beardsley

yeah i saw it- thought you called it the wrong wat round in your previous post.

Personally tho-  that season we had ferdy and shearer- easily the best forward line Ive seen here.

Perez

Am Faye

Beardsley

:lol: Ridiculously confusing.

I'd rather have Ferdinand in the team than Cole, even if Cole was a better finisher. It took years at Man U for Cole to improve his all round game.

everything i've read about us on this sabotage times place has been absolutely woeful.

found this quite difficult. definitely wanted Beardsley in there over Bellamy for the 2nd striker but then it's a choice between Cole, Ferdinand and Shearer for the number 9 shirt. went with Cole because he linked up so beautifully with Beardsley, and scored far more in a single season than those two ever did. feels odd leaving shearer out.

Thinking about central midfield i don't think we've had as many top players in that position as elsewhere in my time - Lee stands out clearly above the rest, but i wouldn't have Batty or Clark in there, no chance. Hamann could've been excellent, but not here long enough to make an impression, and after he finally adjusted pissed off to liverpool. under Robson our best two were Speed and Dyer, but neither were naturals there and i never thought they were fantastic, just very good. So sticking with Tiote for now. Reckon Cabaye could be our best since Lee.

Leaving out Albert was hard, considered going with three centre-halves to accommodate them. all class acts, funnily enough for a club not known for great defending. RB is a weak spot, but while Beye wasn't great going forward he was more than solid defending and would be covering for Ginola's forays in-field.

Beardsley  Cole

Robert            Lee            Tiote            Ginola

Enrique          Coloccini  Woodgate        Beye

Given

BENCH: Shearer, Ferdinand, Bellamy, Krul, Speed, Dyer, Albert

I'd rather have Ferdinand in the team than Cole, even if Cole was a better finisher. It took years at Man U for Cole to improve his all round game.

What on earth does Man U have to do with it?

trying too hard to argue :lol:

his point- clearly is that ferdy was a more all round player. as proved by cole at man u.

Carroll deserves to be on the bench before Owen, like.

No.

Good to see everyone going with Pedro, except Yorkie. :dave:

In my time, so post-98 roughly.

-------------------------------- Given --------------------------------

Beye ---------- Woodgate --------- Coloccini --------- Enrique

Solano ------------- Speed --------- Tiote -------------- Robert

--------------------- Shearer -------- Bellamy --------------------

Bench: Krul, Bernard, Faye, Dyer, Jonas, Martins, Owen

Any more for any more?  :bluf:

Only going to include players I've seen play.

Krul

Enrique

Coloccini

Woodgate

Beye (Can't think of a really good RB I've ever seen Newcastle have)

Ginola

Speed

Beardsley

Solano

Shearer

Ferdinand

I know it's very early to include Krul in there especially when Given served for so many years but I genuinely think he is a much better goalkeeper. Given used to frustrate me no end when he was rooted to his line for every corner and cross.

No.

Why would you even have a bench to accomodate that little shite? Even just put a player from a different position in there.

Fucking Demba only needs 3 more to match that cunt's best season for us.

No.

Why not?

He was still world class when he first came (see goal at WBA), as demonstrated in his short run of form up until that December where he broke his foot. Averaged a goal every other game and was sublime in the attacking-mid role Keegan manufactured for him. Was scoring for fun around then too. Personally think Owen at his best for us was better than anyone else i've seen upfront, bar Shearer and Bellamy.

Obviously doesn't change the fact he's an utter cunt and there isn't a player out there who i detest more.

So he should have averaged a goal every other game. Carroll's half-season was far better than anything he produced in a full season.

It's pretty close like. I thought Carroll was quality, no doubt about it. But each player, both at their best... Owen just edges it for me. Whether either of them 'should have done' or not is another matter; that's for the "Best Value for Money XI" thread.

i don't think Owen played all that well when he first arrived here, despite a very good scoring record mind. the partnership with shearer was unnatural and his consistency and contribution to the side was poor.

His general contribution when Keegan played him in the hole was far better, despite the fact he was physically ruined by this point.

Carroll was fantastic for us for basically an entire season, albeit split into two halves. the fact that one of these halves was in the Championship counts against him i suppose.

Probably different to the last time I posted one of these but

Given

Barton

Colo

Woodgate

José

Solano

Batty

Beardsley

Robert

Shearer

Ferdinand

Was Batty better than Cheick, or even Speed? Genuine question like, can't really remember Batty, aside from seeing him in Pickering a dozen times.

i don't think Owen played all that well when he first arrived here, despite a very good scoring record mind. the partnership with shearer was unnatural and his consistency and contribution to the side was poor.

His general contribution when Keegan played him in the hole was far better, despite the fact he was physically ruined by this point.

Carroll was fantastic for us for basically an entire season, albeit split into two halves. the fact that one of these halves was in the Championship counts against him i suppose.

Agreed. The only time Owen ever played to a high level was that spell under Keegan and how many games did that last? His performances in the relegation season outweigh those considerably.

Probably different to the last time I posted one of these but

Given

Barton

Colo

Woodgate

José

Solano

Batty

Beardsley

Robert

Shearer

Ferdinand

Was Batty better than Cheick, or even Speed? Genuine question like, can't really remember Batty, aside from seeing him in Pickering a dozen times.

as a tackling no nonsense DM. probs just edges it. but Bracewell for me at his best.

So he should have averaged a goal every other game. Carroll's half-season was far better than anything he produced in a full season.

It's pretty close like. I thought Carroll was quality, no doubt about it. But each player, both at their best... Owen just edges it for me. Whether either of them 'should have done' or not is another matter; that's for the "Best Value for Money XI" thread.

I wasn't referring to value for money; I was referring to his lack of quality in open play. A striker who simply cannot create or bring others into play should be getting 1 goal for every 2 starts. It's the least you'd expect.

Carroll managed that and far more throughout 2010.