Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest TheSummerOf69

it looks like it has spurred players on to seek help, which is a good thing. It sounds strange at first, but it reminds me of Jade Goody's death - smear tests rapidly increased in the wake of her death and it saved lives. It is barely a consolation, but maybe what happened to Speedo will save some more.

This.

I just hope right now that Speedo's not getting a word in edgeways as Sir Bobby is in full flow, talking football as he loved to do.............now that would be something quite simply Beautiful.

I'm not sure that it's appropriate to write of "perverted people undeserving of life, yet people like Speedo, Sir Bobby and plenty of ordinary lads and lasses are taken despite being wonderful human beings". We don't know what pressures Gary Speed was under. It is possible that he had a condition that he couldn't help and that was harmless to others but is judged very harshly by "normal" torch wielders, and wether he did or not there are other people driven to suicide by such pressures.

(Apologies if I've read the intent wrong there, but it struck me as a qualified and angry tribute. I love your last sentiment though - the one I've quoted in the box).

Guest Geordiesned

From nufc.com:

Speed: scarves, songs

Tuesday saw the Premier League confirm that a minute's applause would be observed ahead of this weekend's matches in memory of the late Gary Speed.

Meanwhile, we've been asked to publicise call from various quarters for fans to attend the game wearing toon scarves in a visible show of support - and we're happy to do so.

From The Telegraph, Wednesday - as yet unconfirmed:

Newcastle United will hold a vocal tribute to Speed ahead of Saturday’s Premier League fixture with Chelsea.

As well as a minute’s applause to acknowledge the tragic death of their former midfielder, there will be a rendition by an opera singer of the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" before kick-off.

The East Stand of St James’ Park may be asked to hold aloft cards which will read ‘No 11’ – a reference to the jersey Speed wore during his six-year spell on Tyneside.

Guest Geordiesned

If true the singing of a Welsh hymn and holding up of the number 11 by the East Stand will be very moving I'm sure. I'm not sure where the scarves idea comes from; not really sure about that idea. It'll work I suppose if scarves are just held aloft but don't want and scarf twirling. Wouldn't seem right.

When the teams are announced on the tannoy, "Number 11, Gary Speed" should be read out 11 times and cheered by SJP.

Sorry, no disrespect but that would be crazy.

not crazy but a bit tacky.

one of my mates had the idea that the choruses of "newcastle, newcatle, newcastle" could morph into "gary speed, gary speed, gary speed"  to be a sort of "newcastle, newcastle, newcastle, gary speed, gary speed, gary speed"

May have been posted already, apologies if so, but thought this was great from the Leeds fans last night, around 3 minutes or so when it just becomes a wall of noise. Wondering if this is where the scarves idea has been picked up from, would certainly be pretty spine tingling hearing the whole of St James' Park like this, scarves or not...

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/leeds-fans-gary-speed-chant-%28taken-from-the-forest-end%29-15755497/

(assuming this type of video doesn't breach rules, apologies if so)

Guest bimpy474

it looks like it has spurred players on to seek help, which is a good thing. It sounds strange at first, but it reminds me of Jade Goody's death - smear tests rapidly increased in the wake of her death and it saved lives. It is barely a consolation, but maybe what happened to Speedo will save some more.

This.

I just hope right now that Speedo's not getting a word in edgeways as Sir Bobby is in full flow, talking football as he loved to do.............now that would be something quite simply Beautiful.

I'm not sure that it's appropriate to write of "perverted people undeserving of life, yet people like Speedo, Sir Bobby and plenty of ordinary lads and lasses are taken despite being wonderful human beings". We don't know what pressures Gary Speed was under. It is possible that he had a condition that he couldn't help and that was harmless to others but is judged very harshly by "normal" torch wielders, and wether he did or not there are other people driven to suicide by such pressures.

(Apologies if I've read the intent wrong there, but it struck me as a qualified and angry tribute. I love your last sentiment though - the one I've quoted in the box).

I possibly didn't put things in the right way, apologises if that upset anyone, i'm just frustrated that we lose the lives of decent people for whatever reason.

As for why Speedo took his own life, i dont care on one level, i will always remember him as a player i loved and admired, and whatever the reason was that wont change my opinion or feelings toward him..........but on another level if what he did and the reasons why go on to help many others, then at least something can be gained from the loss of such a wonderful person, if thats the right description.

United Announce Plans For Speed Tribute

Newcastle United today confirmed the arrangements they have put in place ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture with Chelsea to pay tribute to Gary Speed.

The official match programme will carry a picture of Gary on the front cover, as well as containing a four-page tribute to the former United midfielder.

Prior to kick-off, a singer will lead the 52,000 capacity crowd in a rendition of the famous Welsh hymn, Bread of Heaven.

Whilst the hymn is sung supporters in the East Stand will be asked to hold up black and white cards which will depict the number 11, the shirt number Gary wore whilst at United. All supporters will be provided with hymn sheets at the turnstiles when they enter the ground in order to join in the singing.

Upon completion of the hymn, a minute's applause will be observed in memory of Gary.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111130/united-announce-plans-for-speed-tribute_2281670_2532695

May have been posted already, apologies if so, but thought this was great from the Leeds fans last night, around 3 minutes or so when it just becomes a wall of noise. Wondering if this is where the scarves idea has been picked up from, would certainly be pretty spine tingling hearing the whole of St James' Park like this, scarves or not...

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/leeds-fans-gary-speed-chant-%28taken-from-the-forest-end%29-15755497/

(assuming this type of video doesn't breach rules, apologies if so)

Forest fans ffs  :facepalm:

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if I'm sobbing like a baby.

Funnily enough Speedo was never one of my favourite players, although I respected his ability and workrate. I guess that was his role a lot of the time, essential to the result but not in the limelight. Been affected by this quite a lot though, to see a man like that inexplicably gone in the prime of life is really shocking. As people have said, so much more important than football.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The ''scarves for speed'' thing is merely an extension of ''bring back the scarves'' that was on twitter a few month back.

Some scarf obsessed doyles using a sad death as an excuse.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The ''scarves for speed'' thing is merely an extension of ''bring back the scarves'' that was on twitter a few month back.

Some scarf obsessed doyles using a sad death as an excuse.

there's a poster with that written on in the Eldon Square club shop window  :rolleyes:

An official one or?

Guest johnson293

United Announce Plans For Speed Tribute

Newcastle United today confirmed the arrangements they have put in place ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture with Chelsea to pay tribute to Gary Speed.

The official match programme will carry a picture of Gary on the front cover, as well as containing a four-page tribute to the former United midfielder.

Prior to kick-off, a singer will lead the 52,000 capacity crowd in a rendition of the famous Welsh hymn, Bread of Heaven.

Whilst the hymn is sung supporters in the East Stand will be asked to hold up black and white cards which will depict the number 11, the shirt number Gary wore whilst at United. All supporters will be provided with hymn sheets at the turnstiles when they enter the ground in order to join in the singing.

Upon completion of the hymn, a minute's applause will be observed in memory of Gary.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111130/united-announce-plans-for-speed-tribute_2281670_2532695

:clap: Well Done to the club, for making this effort.

I couldn't get a ticket for this game, but will try and pick up a programme.