Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Aye I'm not a fan of the hymn idea like.

Well you may as well trot along and spit in Speedo's wife's face then. If it's what his family have asked for then so be it. I think it's quite a touching and classy tribute.

have they asked for it, if so then ok, if not then i think the silence was the way to go.

I also think the hymn is a moving one and not quite appropriate for the start of a football match. A more fitting tribute to Gary Speed would be for the crowd to be pumped up and us to take the game to Chelsea. I fear the game will kick off with a pretty sombre atmosphere that will only assist the away side.

I also think the hymn is a moving one and not quite appropriate for the start of a football match. A more fitting tribute to Gary Speed would be for the crowd to be pumped up and us to take the game to Chelsea. I fear the game will kick off with a pretty sombre atmosphere that will only assist the away side.

Which is my big fear as well, i think it will detract from the job in hand.

Aye I'm not a fan of the hymn idea like.

Well you may as well trot along and spit in Speedo's wife's face then. If it's what his family have asked for then so be it. I think it's quite a touching and classy tribute.

Has she asked for it though? I thought all she'd asked for was to be left alone.

I don't think it's classy at all, i actually think it's a bit tacky and OTT and think a dignified minutes silence like we had beofre Everton would have been much more appropriate and classy.

ever heard of "abide with me" ?

Abide with Me is played as a tradition before the Cup Final. In that context it's got nothing to do with a recently deceased former favourite of either of the sides involved on the day.

Abide with Me is played as a tradition before the Cup Final. In that context it's got nothing to do with a recently deceased former favourite of either of the sides involved on the day.

there was a time when it wasn't a tradition and quite often after something poignant there is a release. for all i'm more in favour of the silence, i'd rather have the hymn than the applause.

also i don't think the club should be choosing to do anything with a view to its effect on the game itself.

I think it'll have the opposite effect. A lot of people will be emotional and that will translate to passion, when the whistle blows for KO I'd be very surprised if the crowd aren't totally pumped. 

See that Leeds, Everton and us all play at home this weekend. Look forward to some great scenes.

Jesus wept! great scenes!!!!!!? what the fuck.

As for the tribute it's abit scouse to me. A minutes silence would of been right in my eyes, and hopefully he would be left to peace..

i took it as meaning it would be just the woman singing? think that would be better but I'm happy either way

Personally it hink it will be spine tingling hearing over 50,000 people sing a hymn as strong and emotional as Bread of Heaven.

A fitting tribute to the man.

:thup:

Watched the YouTube video of his goals for us today, had no idea he'd scored so many. Absolute beast on the edge of the box like.

See that Leeds, Everton and us all play at home this weekend. Look forward to some great scenes.

Jesus wept! great scenes!!!!!!? what the fuck.

As for the tribute it's abit scouse to me. A minutes silence would of been right in my eyes, and hopefully he would be left to peace..

Calm down mate it's obvious what he meant.

I think NUFC have got it right for once, the premier league however have got it wrong with the minutes applause. I just watched the minutes applause at celtic and it looks crap. I can understand it if there's a risk of a section of the ground spoiiling a silence but there isn't. A minutes silence, would have been a much better choice. The noise after it and probably scarves would have been immense.

I know the Premier League have said it's applause but imo, his former clubs should have the right to do as they see fit. For me, the tragedy of the event, losing one of our own so young, means it should be silence.

Guest bimpy474

I know the Premier League have said it's applause but imo, his former clubs should have the right to do as they see fit. For me, the tragedy of the event, losing one of our own so young, means it should be silence.

Agreed but silence is too mourn a death, the applause is to celebrate the life they led imo.......i guess it a hard call for which to go with, either way he deserves the best of whatever one it is.

Clubs probably can do whatever they like, just with minutes applause having become more common there's confusion as to what the default thing to do is now. As we saw last weekend at Swansea. Premier League just putting out a guideline for what they think most people would want to do.