Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ireland have stunk the tournament out. Worst team by a hundred miles.

Yeah, but the gurning morons holding flags with ancient and irrelevant Father Ted references on are hilarious! Such magnificent craic.

Fuck off! You leave Tooj and Ronaldo alone!

Don't get the whole irish wackiness love in. Wearing wigs and funny hats and making 'witty' banners is a being a good football fan? Compare that with the Croatia fans before who didn't have 75% of the stadium, give me those sort of fans any day. Will be glad when we don't have to hear about it anymore. Don't have anything against them in general but lets see if their support would be as good once the novelty of qualifying for a tournament for the first time in a decade wears off.

And what more do you want them to do? :lol:

It's not them but the incessant comments and admiration in the media. It's all got a bit boring tbh. The Scots, or The Welsh would be exactly the same as would most countries who could finance themselves to go over in their droves.

The Scots and the Welsh would indeed be very similar, but the Irish fans have in general gave a good showing of themselves (bar the few arrests :lol: )

I can understand if the media keep harping on about it it would be pretty annoying :lol: but still, the fans have done us proud imo

It's entirely the media that's made it annoying, a part of me is probably annoyed at the coverage their getting at supporting their team against the odds, in the face of adversity etc when for the majority of my life we've done that with NUFC every week and the Irish are doing it getting pissed on the contintent rather than going to shit English towns on a cold Tuesday night.

The way I see it, what Ireland really need to do now is to rebuild, that is, it's time for the likes of Duff and Robbie Keane to retire from international football and it's time to bring in a new generation of players. Unfortunately, I hear Trapattoni is going to be manager for another two years so any sort of rebuild isn't going to happen soon...

Also, a question to our Irish posters, does Ireland have any future stars of any sort?

The way I see it, what Ireland really need to do now is to rebuild, that is, it's time for the likes of Duff and Robbie Keane to retire from international football and it's time to bring in a new generation of players. Unfortunately, I hear Trapattoni is going to be manager for another two years so any sort of rebuild isn't going to happen soon...

Also, a question to our Irish posters, does Ireland have any future stars of any sort?

I don't think so. There's nobody playing for anybody any good. We always had a few at the like or Man U, Liverpool etc. but we haven't got a player capable of getting within an ass's roar of those teams or similar teams (i.e. us).

Maybe the likes of Long, McCarthy, McClean etc. might come good if they start at the expense of Duff, Keane etc. 

I don't think so. There's nobody playing for anybody any good. We always had a few at the like or Man U, Liverpool etc. but we haven't got a player capable of getting within an ass's roar of those teams or similar teams (i.e. us).

Maybe the likes of Long, McCarthy, McClean etc. might come good if they start at the expense of Duff, Keane etc. 

Well that doesn't sound too good like...

To my mind though, there's definitely one thing which should happen, Aiden McGeady really needs to step it up. Every time I've seen him, he's been so underwhelming.

Thought that while seeing them against Croatia. Some years back, there was Given, Carr, Duff, O'Brien (all NUFC), O'Shea (Man Utd), Keane (Spurs)....

Irish players faded away somehow and there weren't any new players following them.

Well that doesn't sound too good...

To my mind, there's definitely one thing which should happen, Aiden McGeady needs to really step it up. Every time I've seen him, he's been so underwhelming.

Thought that while seeing them against Croatia. Some years back, there was Given, Carr, Duff, O'Brien (all NUFC), O'Shea (Man Utd), Keane (Spurs)....

Irish players faded away somehow and there weren't any new players following them.

A lot has to do with the fact that its (at best) the third most followed sport in Ireland. Its a long way behind both hurling and Gaelic football and I wouldn't be surprised if there were now more people playing rugby. Where I went to school there was no school football team. It was all GAA which is understandable. In a country this small its not a good sign to be that far down the pecking order. Maybe its just me but I'm just happy getting the finals. Even if we lose all our games just being involved and seeing our team compete against the likes of Spain and Italy is brilliant.

A lot has to do with the fact that its (at best) the third most followed sport in Ireland. Its a long way behind both hurling and Gaelic football and I wouldn't be surprised if there were now more people playing rugby. Where I went to school there was no school football team. It was all GAA which is understandable. In a country this small its not a good sign to be that far down the pecking order. Maybe its just me but I'm just happy getting the finals. Even if we lose all our games just being involved and seeing our team compete against the likes of Spain and Italy is brilliant.

That's sad, but it's the reality at the moment. The structure of youth developement has to change in your country to change the situation. Always dificult for such a small country but, with Ireland there are so many players playing PL football it should aim a bit higher.

To my mind, there's definitely one thing which should happen, Aiden McGeady needs to really step it up. Every time I've seen him, he's been so underwhelming.

Got a point there on the Gaelic and Hurling hoovering up young talent and agree entirely on just being there, its been a decade since we were last at one we should just appreciate that we even got to one and not lambasting a side for getting hammered by the best side in the world.

As for future players, James McCarthy is the big hope plus theres Coleman, Duffy, Ciaran Clark, Mark Wilson and whomever we find has an Irish granny. We just don't have the structures over here in Ireland to really build a side or even a coherent policy on how to play our football. The League of Ireland clubs produce the occasional reasonably good player but really our youth policy is what the English clubs come up with.

It is time to move on Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff and Keane but some are easier to replace than others, Keane could probably be retired at this stage since we have Long Walters Cox and Best which isn't a bad set of options up front, Given we have Westwood who's reasonably good however we really don't have anyone to replace Dunne at the moment which is a major problem.

Got a point there on the Gaelic and Hurling hoovering up young talent and agree entirely on just being there, its been a decade since we were last at one we should just appreciate that we even got to one and not lambasting a side for getting hammered by the best side in the world.

As for future players, James McCarthy is the big hope plus theres Coleman, Duffy, Ciaran Clark, Mark Wilson and whomever we find has an Irish granny. We just don't have the structures over here in Ireland to really build a side or even a coherent policy on how to play our football. The League of Ireland clubs produce the occasional reasonably good player but really our youth policy is what the English clubs come up with.

It is time to move on Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff and Keane but some are easier to replace than others, Keane could probably be retired at this stage since we have Long Walters Cox and Best which isn't a bad set of options up front, Given we have Westwood who's reasonably good however we really don't have anyone to replace Dunne at the moment which is a major problem.

Is it a different situation north of the border?

I have a lot of Northern Irish friends and they are all football daft and maybe some like Rugby but no Hurling or Gaelic Football gets mentioned.

Ireland hardly even have a 'youth development' set up. It's appalling. But people continue to wonder why the country cant produce any (consistent) talent. Yes, every once in a while a quality player emerges, but that's really not what you'd call a conveyor belt of high quality player production. I was saying to my mate today that Ireland must be the only team in the whole tournament without a player in their squad representing a club from their domestic league. That says it all.

Until serious thought and money is put into building club academies- because there aren't any proper academies affiliated with the domestic league clubs here, they would be no better than your average schoolboys team anywhere around the UK- it will continue to go around in circles of depending on English clubs who poach players at a young age to develop them and bring them through, or the English rejects who have an Irish grandparent. Depressing but true.

Is it a different situation north of the border?

I have a lot of Northern Irish friends and they are all football daft and maybe some like Rugby but no Hurling or Gaelic Football gets mentioned.

In Ireland you have the bog-land counties/provinces that treat that GAA stuff as a religion, football (or 'soccer') takes a back seat for sure. So although GAA is played in Northern Ireland, football and rugby would be the two main competitors in a sporting sense.

Ireland hardly even have a 'youth development' set up. It's appalling. But people continue to wonder why the country cant produce any (consistent) talent. Yes, every once in a while a quality player emerges, but that's really not what you'd call a conveyor belt of high quality player production. I was saying to my mate today that Ireland must be the only team in the whole tournament without a player in their squad representing a club from their domestic league. That says it all.

Until serious thought and money is put into building club academies- because there aren't any proper academies affiliated with the domestic league clubs here, they would be no better than your average schoolboys team anywhere around the UK- it will continue to go around in circles of depending on English clubs who poach players at a young age to develop them and bring them through, or the English rejects who have an Irish grandparent. Depressing but true.

This.

It's an absolute farce. The FAI are a joke, and it's depressing :(

I actually don't think Gaelic and Hurling take away that significantly from the numbers playing football, I put it down to the incredibly poor youth set up...there more or less is none!

As for gaelic and hurling in Northern Ireland...there's plenty of Gaelic, but it would depend on which parts. Not so much hurling afaik...

Barely anyone played rugby 15 years ago. But the IRFU got the set up right from grass routes level and they are reaping the benefits now.

I'll say it again, the FAI are a f***ing joke