Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nasri, so overhyped. Won't be in the City first 11 next season. They'll definitely get someone else in.

If anything Arsenal's system made him look better. And even then he still dissapeared in the bigger games. Not a fan at all.

Guest Roger Kint

Best XI of the group stage IMO:

Casillas

Debuchy Hummels Agger Lahm

Pirlo Cabaye Schweignsteiger

Silva

Ibra Gomez

Sorry but am not having any best XI without Iniesta

Casillas

Silva

Ibra Gomez

He was fantastic in the first game, but i thought he was pretty poor against Ireland and Croatia..... Silva has been better than him this tournament IMO.

Guest Roger Kint

Imo he has offered more in each game than Silva, well maybe not the Croatia one simply as i was too pissed to remember much of it  :lol:

Casillas

Silva

Ibra Gomez

He was fantastic in the first game, but i thought he was pretty poor against Ireland and Croatia..... Silva has been better than him this tournament IMO.

Poor? I thought he's been fantastic in all 3.

Casillas

Silva

Ibra Gomez

Poor? I thought he's been fantastic in all 3.

Maybe poor is unfair, but he did'nt impress a great deal in the two games and seemed to be on the edge of the game rather than taking control of it like he did against Italy.

I felt over the 3 games that Silva was better.

Best of the groups IMO has been:

Casillas

Gebre Selassie Hummels Lescott Coentrao

Pilař Moutinho Pirlo Dzakoev

Mandžukić Gomez

Albeit 3 of them have turned in at least 1 poor performance. Not really any truly standout players so far.

Casillas

Debuchey  Hummells  Rossi    Lahm

Silva        Cabaye    Pirlo    Iniesta

Mandzukic  Gomez

(Dzakoev is a good call actually, sure i've completely forgotten names of some impressive Czech players)

Also, has Cabaye really been that good? Or is it just the fact he's ours?

I have gone on other forums who have no Newcastle ties at all and majority are putting Cabaye in the middle.... tbf he was very impressive in the first 2 games he played and France sorely missed him against Sweden.

Cabaye love-in aside he was being very good tbh.

Forget about Mandzukic  :facepalm:

Best of the groups IMO has been:

Casillas

Gebre Selassie Hummels Lescott Coentrao

Pilař Moutinho Pirlo Dzakoev

Mandžukić Gomez

Albeit 3 of them have turned in at least 1 poor performance. Not really any truly standout players so far.

Without thinking about it too much, I'd go with something very similar to this. Schweinsteiger and Iniesta both with (somewhat obvious) strong shouts for midfield.

Schweinsteiger's another that seems to be getting in based on who he is rather than what he's done. Granted he's part of a good Germany team, but he's not really given a stand out performance.

Based on the performance against Spain the other night Modric is probably worthy of a shout. Jiráček's probably been the Czech's stand out player, Gebre Selassie's a good call too.

Schweinsteiger's another that seems to be getting in based on who he is rather than what he's done. Granted he's part of a good Germany team, but he's

He was fantastic against Holland.... dat pass to Gomez  :fwap:

I think Schweignsteiger has been great in all his games tbh i would'nt pick him for who he is tbh if he's performances were shat..... you do bring a good point up about stand out performance though....

I dont think there's been many stand out performances at this Euro, but lots of consistently good ones, with some fantastic ones sprinkled here and there.

Aye, sometimes good, consistent performances can go unnoticed vs stand-out ones. Ronaldo for example was excellent in their final group game and would probably deserve a place on the basis of that, but was gash in the first two. Although I think Khedira's been just as good in the German midfield, plus offers you something different to most the midfielders that have been mentioned.

Anyway, shamelessly copying the core of Disco's team, I'd go with:

Casillas

Gebre Selassie  Hummels    Lescott        Alba

Jiráček          Modric        Pirlo        Dzagoev

Mandžukić    Gomez

Special mentions also for Debuchy, De Rossi and Blaszczykowski.

Edit: Actually, aye, Gerrard probably deserves a mention too.

Has Moutinho been better than Gerrard?

Just like the way he's played. I have tried to pick those who were maybe less expected to make a name for themselves too.

As I said there hasn't been a stand out and a case could be made for about 10 midfielders as can be seen by all the different combinations being picked.

It's been a good, enjoyable tournament so far. For time to remember it though, we need an iconic player, iconic goal or iconic moment. We've had none of that yet, it's all sort of blended into one homogeneous group stage. Dunno if that's a sign of the internet and everyone knowing everything about players these days.

Or maybe these icons are being saved for the knockout stages. I'm excited either way though.