Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea - 12/03/11 - post-match reaction from page 37

Beren

Really? No need for that.

To be honest, I can't take Chelsea seriously at all as a club. We played two big clubs in the last fortnight. Chelsea? Smaller club than West Ham when it boils down to proper support.

i hear this nonsense a lot, but it's not true. you do realise Chelsea have a higher average historical attendance than newcastle united, right? and that west ham's average is not even close. chelsea are also more successful than wham in terms of trophies pre-abramovich. people make out like chelsea were as small as fulham before abramovich came along, but its just not true.

This is bullshit, isn't it?

What is it, 2 league titles until Abramovich turned up?

1 league title, 3 FA cups, 2 League cups, 2 UEFA Cup Winner's Cups.

In contrast to West Ham's haul of 3 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cup Winner's Cup.

Average historical crowd more than 7,000 bigger than west ham's puny amount, and a few hundred more than even ours.

Whatever way you look at it, Chelsea were a bigger club than West Ham before Abramovich came along. And it's not like you can simply discount what has happened since either.

Not sure I can be arsed to listen to lawros evaluation of the game today, he will ignore the fact that we had 2 key players out starting then both of our centrebacks got injured and we hit the post, luiz should have been off etc.

"I told you they'd get found out and they have, SUNDERLAND WILL ROCK UNDER O'NEILL AND MIGHT EVEN FINISH 2nd BEHIND LIVERPOOL"

Average historical crowd more than 7,000 bigger than west ham's puny amount, and a few hundred more than even ours.

Whatever way you look at it, Chelsea were a bigger club than West Ham before Abramovich came along. And it's not like you can simply discount what has happened since either.

Brilliant attendances like 7000 v Southampton in the early 90s, and regularly getting sub-10k attendances throughout the 80s.

Not sure I can be arsed to listen to lawros evaluation of the game today, he will ignore the fact that we had 2 key players out starting then both of our centrebacks got injured and we hit the post, luiz should have been off etc.

"I told you they'd get found out and they have, SUNDERLAND WILL ROCK UNDER O'NEILL AND MIGHT EVEN FINISH 2nd BEHIND LIVERPOOL"

It's Hansen. He was on Radio 5 earlier and his verdict was Luiz deserved a stonewall red card and that after that Chelsea were the better team but it was a brilliant end to end game with both teams having chances.

Brilliant attendances like 7000 v Southampton in the early 90s, and regularly getting sub-10k attendances throughout the 80s.

Hevent chesea had 4k for a home premier league game?  thought id read that somewhere, against Wimbledon.

Go to Stamford Bridge. Then take a walk to the Boleyn Ground.

West Ham are traditionally the bigger club and it seeps through. It's like comparing us with Boro.

If you travel away you'd realise without a doubt who's the bigger club.

Think they had massive post war attendances when they were good in the early fifties and at the time Stamford Bridge held about 80K, sure their record attendance is 82K.

Guest Howaythetoon

It says a lot mind that a side and club like Chelsea come here and basically sit off and play on the break as well as all that time wasting which was in effect pretty much from the start of the second half. They obviously feared us and it also says a lot about us that we hit the woodwork several times and created some good chances or opportunities.

In that respect it shows that we are a good side at least. What we badly need and games like this show, is depth and we lack it, especially in defence. I know during the last transfer window we all clamoured for a striker but this time around I feel we should forget about up front as we have very good options and depth and concentrate on defence and midfield, especially the flanks and in particular centre-back.

Back to the match and our players...

I honestly thought Guthrie was class today. Yes he lacks pace and he's not the strongest in the tackle but his fitness and mobility has improved massively and the lad can pick a pass, I think he misplaced one all game, he was hitting them for fun throughout, short, long, across the pitch, forwards, backwards, sideways, and the best thing is he was actively seeking the ball off his team-mates. He was very much our playmaker. I always think the sign of a good footballer in terms of football brain and awareness is how a player reacts just before he recieves a ball or is about to play a ball and that little sign is the flick of the head to see what is going on around him, Guthrie always looks what is around him, what is on, who can he play it too etc.

I thought he was superb and has been since he came into the side. That said, he's not an ideal midfield partner for Cabaye, they are too similar in ways.

Ba impressed me as well with his strength, leading of the line and quick feet, he got away from his man with some amazing feet work several times. He toiled away and could have had a brace on another day. He too has been superb for us.

Overall we played well enough in parts and showed great spirit and fight but we were handed a lesson by a top side who may not be great these days but still have more than enough. I many ways we are the new upstarts and they they former masters.

With a few quality additions we too could become a top side. As it is we are a good side. A side that will come unstuck and fade away unless we strengthen in January.

it's specifically shite like this that prompted me to bring it up, no offence btw. for the sole reason that it reminds me so much of those cretins who bang on about our low attendances in the late 80s, early 90s pre-keegan. tiresome nonsense.

Despite bringing good numbers, Chelsea's support was absolutely woeful today, like.

They were singing it's all gone quiet at the Sports Direct.  :'(

also sounded like "you're all wankers at the sports direct" at one point ??

Probably. Gosh, those southerners are so creative. 

Had to walk through their hordes as they were heading past St.James' Park after the match today- horrible accents. "Awww faaackin' 'ewll maate, gotta get Dannayyy startin' everay week maaate". Twats.

This result today is far from the "new beginning" for Chelsea and AVB. They played well but it still papers over the cracks and lets see how they fair against Valencia, City at home and Spurs away. I have plenty of good mates down here who are Chelsea fans, all proper fans too but I for one will raise a glass in the pub tuesday evening if Valencia put them out.

Go to Stamford Bridge. Then take a walk to the Boleyn Ground.

West Ham are traditionally the bigger club and it seeps through. It's like comparing us with Boro.

If you travel away you'd realise without a doubt who's the bigger club.

the area around stamford bridge has been hugely gentrified which makes it a bit of an anomaly. saying that i lived in london for 4 years and knew loads of chelsea fans. never met a single hammer. most of them live out in essex and you just dont see them that often in london proper unless you're visiting the east end markets like petticoat lane. half of them seem to be dodgy market traders. on top of that immigrants and the kids of immigrants, who make up a huge proportion of London, tend not to associate with west ham and go overwhelmingly for arsenal, spurs and chelsea (along with liverpool and man utd of course).

Being fair to Chelsea btw, in defence and midfield they barely misplaced a pass all afternoon. We only got the ball back through good tackling or their failed attempts in the final third. For all their 'crisis' etc they still looked a cut above most other teams (including us) in that respect.

Being fair to Chelsea btw, in defence and midfield they barely misplaced a pass all afternoon. We only got the ball back through good tackling or their failed attempts in the final third. For all their 'crisis' etc they still looked a cut above most other teams (including us) in that respect.

it's like their crisis last season under Ancelotti, from december to march they looked shit scared whenever a team got at them or they experienced bad luck or something to make their heads drop. if we'd had our strongest side with tiote, jonas etc i think we could've ruffled their feathers a bit more and got something. in fact if Luiz had gone i think their heads would've dropped and we'd see all their problems suddenly exposed.

yep. said something similar. we move on, we dont play this quality every week, lets not get too down on ourselves.

Not gonna say much other than one woeful refereeing decision changed the whole complex of the game. Forget our penalty last week, this was far worse, it was about level with me and I can't believe that a professional ref can get that so wrong. Staggered.

Guest Heneage

The amount of cheating, time-wasting and general gamesmanship going on was loathsome at times. Pretty depressing to suggest but I bet they wouldn't have scored three had Taylor not attempted to get back up when injured. One of their players would have stayed down, milked it to f*** and ensured that play was stopped.

That's what learning your trade from Mourinho does.

I mean the coach going on like a CL qualifier, he'd not have done that at Porto but for some reason he wants to go on like a prick. Even Villas-Boas in his postmatch interview was going on like a twat. He doesn't want to talk about the turning point in the game because it wasn't pro-Chelsea.