Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

11 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t understand the Longstaff pen at all, is it because the ball went out? 

If so, nice to know you can jump on someone’s leg as long as the ball goes out of play first. 

I hate these type of ones, I had a chat after a game with the ref for the U15's team I take, our player was taken late in the box but got his shot away. His response was that the player got the shot away, I question him about what if that happened outside the box, it would be classed a late challenge and would be a foul so what is different, he shrugged and said it is what it is :(

To be what happened to Longstaff was a late challenge, irrespective of what happened later. Again I would love to know what VAR said to justify the decision or are they hiding behind the "clear and obvious error" nonsense.

In a season of some absolutely stinking performances from the officials, I think that might be the worst.

Sometimes refs are okay then get the big decisions wrong, or they might be poor overall but get the big decisions right. Marriner was the worth of boast worlds, particularly in general play.

I absolutely take the point that you want to keep the flow of the game and not blow for every little indiscretion but that was absolutely taking the piss to the extreme. Wilson, Bruno, Longstaff, Joelinton, and Trippier were all blatantly fouled regularly, with the threshold for giving a free kick seemingly being Bruno having to have his shirt ripped. 

Then Longstaff gets done in by an ankle breaker nowhere near the ball : no pen, no VAR overturn, told to get on with it, no cards for the 3 different Everton players who tried to roll him off the pitch/pick him up. Yet no treatment allowed and no sub allowed for ages.

Nothing short of a disgrace.

They're really struggling at the moment. The combination of terrible laws and bad implementation of VAR really makes them look bad. 

There also seems to be some sort of directive about free kicks and yellow cards that they're taking too far and implementing very randomly. Seemingly you can now clearly stop a counter with a deliberate foul and not get a card, it's really weird. 

I basically believe the officials themselves are as capable as anyone can be, but the whole setup is just wreaking havoc. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

In a season of some absolutely stinking performances from the officials, I think that might be the worst.

Sometimes refs are okay then get the big decisions wrong, or they might be poor overall but get the big decisions right. Marriner was the worth of boast worlds, particularly in general play.

I absolutely take the point that you want to keep the flow of the game and not blow for every little indiscretion but that was absolutely taking the piss to the extreme. Wilson, Bruno, Longstaff, Joelinton, and Trippier were all blatantly fouled regularly, with the threshold for giving a free kick seemingly being Bruno having to have his shirt ripped. 

Then Longstaff gets done in by an ankle breaker nowhere near the ball : no pen, no VAR overturn, told to get on with it, no cards for the 3 different Everton players who tried to roll him off the pitch/pick him up. Yet no treatment allowed and no sub allowed for ages.

Nothing short of a disgrace.

I’ve been lucky enough to watch every game this season and we’ve been screwed over by VAR more than not. I mean you’d argue the Nick Pope incident against Wolves and the Burn shirt pull at the Emirates we got lucky, but there’s so many decisions that have been worse that didn’t go for us. Off the top of my head:

• Shirt pull on Longstaff against Wolves was a clear penalty 
  • Willock being penalised against Crystal Palace 
  • Joelinton handball against Southampton 
  • Disallowed goal for offside against Forest 
  • Schar being kicked in the head via Man Utd 
  • Wilson disallowed goal against Brentford 
  • Longstaff yesterday for the clear penalty 
  • Even the Schar goal being disallowed was wrong given the time after the offside 

There’s a lot more that I can’t seem to think of right now, but you get my point 

Guest reefatoon
12 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t understand the Longstaff pen at all, is it because the ball went out? 

If so, nice to know you can jump on someone’s leg as long as the ball goes out of play first. 

Exactly. The ball was still in play when the tackle came in too. Was a ridiculous decision and a blatant penalty. The fact that it went to VAR and was still not given, just shows how shit these incompetent bastards are.

I actually thought by his own standards Mariner wasn't too bad last night, although I always brace myself for daylight robbery when we get him.

He let a lot of stuff go including when defenders were trying to buy free kicks by hoying themselves down on the ball at the slightest of touches, but I don't mind that tbh. Thought he was maybe a bit lenient with the yellows but I'd rather have that than the other version of Mariner who hoys cards around like a horny incel on valentines and completely ruins the game that. Two poor VAR calls (in my book) against us but can't really blame him for that.

The late tackle on a player whose got his shot away is one of those weird conventions in football. It'll take someone* getting a nasty injury and they will look at it imo. It's also when you're particularly vulnerable as the striker.

I'm guessing that they take a lenient view because heroic last ditch tacklesand blocks look spectacular as fuck and maybe they don't want to discourage them??

* I mean someone actually good obviously. I was on the receiving end of this once, sprained my ankle ligaments and needed crutches for a couple weeks. Alas school lunchtime football was never going to change the world.

54 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I’ve been lucky enough to watch every game this season and we’ve been screwed over by VAR more than not. I mean you’d argue the Nick Pope incident against Wolves and the Burn shirt pull at the Emirates we got lucky, but there’s so many decisions that have been worse that didn’t go for us. Off the top of my head:

• Shirt pull on Longstaff against Wolves was a clear penalty 
  • Willock being penalised against Crystal Palace 
  • Joelinton handball against Southampton 
  • Disallowed goal for offside against Forest 
  • Schar being kicked in the head via Man Utd 
  • Wilson disallowed goal against Brentford 
  • Longstaff yesterday for the clear penalty 
  • Even the Schar goal being disallowed was wrong given the time after the offside 

There’s a lot more that I can’t seem to think of right now, but you get my point 

We definitely got lucky with our penalty against Bournemouth at home as well. Never ever a penalty imo, we should have lost that Bournemouth match. 

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

The late tackle on a player whose got his shot away is one of those weird conventions in football. It'll take someone* getting a nasty injury and they will look at it imo. It's also when you're particularly vulnerable as the striker.

I'm guessing that they take a lenient view because heroic last ditch tacklesand blocks look spectacular as fuck and maybe they don't want to discourage them??

* I mean someone actually good obviously. I was on the receiving end of this once, sprained my ankle ligaments and needed crutches for a couple weeks. Alas school lunchtime football was never going to change the world.

I agree about it being a weird convention but strangely Arsenal got a penalty for that against City this season, Nketiah got his shot away and was caught by Ederson (not anywhere close to the way Longstaff was caught) and a penalty was given 

I just think they're too easily influenced tbh. Marriner has gone into last night trying to keep the game flowing and instead what he's ended up doing is giving them a load of small decisions. That said, the Joelinton foul and the penalty are two I still can't quite understand as the latter felt clear and obvious.

Edited by Viana

16 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They're really struggling at the moment. The combination of terrible laws and bad implementation of VAR really makes them look bad. 

There also seems to be some sort of directive about free kicks and yellow cards that they're taking too far and implementing very randomly. Seemingly you can now clearly stop a counter with a deliberate foul and not get a card, it's really weird. 

I basically believe the officials themselves are as capable as anyone can be, but the whole setup is just wreaking havoc. 

There’s nothing wrong with the systems the tech is there and shows 99% of things clear as day. The rules are fine too they just are and aren’t applied to suit who’s playing.

PGMOL and Howard Webb are corrupt as fuck 

I find it really interesting. I’m not sure I really want refs to talk to the players or try to negotiate with them. I’d probably lean more towards just applying the rules and saying as little as possible. 

Guess you could argue it helps to create a better game for the fans, but I’m not sure that’s really the refs job. 

I think having them come on mic for a few seconds to give a decision would we really good though, including the VAR people. 

Wholeheartedly agree with mics. It will either make them think twice before making a dumbarse decision/use a dumbarse excuse or amplify their incompetence/corruption. If it's the latter then it's their fault for being shit enough for scrutiny.

I still think they should have an obligation to a post-match interview too. I've seen people against this before but I don't understand why they shouldn't be culpable like anyone else. They're a 'professional', have an entire campaign dedicated to them surrounding respect yet have absolutely no obligation to maintain that respect on an ongoing basis. Yes, qualifications and being in the job should be enough. But not when they're such absolute fucking shithouses at said job.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

How on Earth did Palace get that penalty decision after VAR reviewed it. Put VAR in the trash and just forget it if the officials can’t do their job properly because what’s the point?

It should be the officials put in the trash, no problem with the system it’s the officials using it. Almost like they want it to fail. 

While the officials are this bad, VAR is only making officiating more frustrating. Wrong decisions that are taking a while to be wrongly officiated means that VAR should be paused at the very least until they bring in microphones on decisions. I imagine there aren’t loads of quality refs and officials waiting in the wings to take over if the current lot are binned, that’s the biggest problem

1 hour ago, TK-421 said:

So Brentfords winner against Forest was given as onside after a lengthy review, yet Schars goal was fairly quickly ruled out for Burn being 'offside'??? 

Burn was clearly offside and challenged the player who headed it away, that was fairly clear cut imo.

The Brentford player is onside as replay's showed, very very close mind so i'm not sure where the issue is mate. If it's the time they took ? That was because one was clear and the other was marginal, for once i don't think they got either wrong.