Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

TBF, he had seen Perez' touch and knew he would of hoofed it out for a goal kick.  Not sure that could be deemed a goal scoring opportunity  :lol:  I've seen red cards given for less.  Thought it was 50/50. 

What was worse, was how Odoi didn't get a second yellow, after that early foul.  He actually played really well after a shaky start. which makes it even worse.  I'm sure he gave away 2-3 more fouls after they yellow.  One was a really heavy tackle up our end of the pitch and another was when he'd been beaten and he grabbed/tripped our player, when trying to get back.  Both could easily been yellow cards and I think in the prem, they would have been.

Kalas not getting booked when Perez' had rolled him, was another awful decision. 

I think the first hand ball was 100% a penalty and he should have given it.  Not sure he could have seen the second one, though.

Not using the ref's shitness as an excuse, mind.  We were awful and barely created anything. 

His head

Just rewatched it and took particular notice of the refs position. No way could he have thought it hit his head.

The ball flew past the players head, higher than his head, hit his hand, which then whiplashed around his body like a rubber band, ridiculous stuff.

I must have remembered it wrong.  I didn't think the ball had even reached him when he was brought down?  If he already had it under control, then yeah, blatant red.

Nah you're probably right, I watched it on a horrid blotchy stream and missed the replays as I was foamin'.

IIRC he didn't really have the ball under full control so I think a yellow was adequate tbh. Denial of an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity is the law and I'd say it wasn't obvious given he had to bring an awkward ball down and get his shot away.

What was more annoying that he was allowed 2 more fairly poor fouls after that without further punishment.

IIRC he didn't really have the ball under full control so I think a yellow was adequate tbh. Denial of an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity is the law and I'd say it wasn't obvious given he had to bring an awkward ball down and get his shot away.

What was more annoying that he was allowed 2 more fairly poor fouls after that without further punishment.

Aye, there were several 2nd or 3rd fouls by a few of their players that should have seen 2nd yellows.

Find nothing more annoying than the argument that you shouldn't need to rely on certain decisions of the referee going in your favour.  Get the penalty we deserved against Fulham and it's a completely different game.

• 4 weeks later...
The FA announced on Friday that from this season it will be able to take retrospective action "when match officials are not in a position to fully assess a 'coming together' of players."

A statement on the governing body's website read: "The amendment follows a tackle last season involving Wigan's Callum McManaman and Newcastle United's Massadio Haidara in which the match referee's view of the incident was blocked whilst the other match officials were not in a position to judge exactly what had occurred.

This is why retrospective action against clubs and players needs to be minimised because it adds a layer of weakness for corruption or plain and simple bias.

Obviously assaults etc should be punished retrospectively but for everything else I'd rather just accept that officials seeing incidents once in real time and not always at the best angle are going to miss stuff from time to time.

You can still have goal line technology with sensors though as that would be more difficult to manipulate.

• 2 weeks later...