Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

17 minutes ago, Nobody said:

My "favourite" bit of officiating yesterday is how PSG surrounded the ref after each of the "controversial" decisions, and each time the ref decided to book one of cry babies. Obviously, by some miracle, every time it happened to be someone who wasn't already on a yellow card. 

Best one was obviously when he felt he had to stop the game to let PSG surround him extra much when we were in possession. 

I thought imagined that, the balls meant to go out of play isn't it? You don't just stop the game whilst a check goes on in the background? :lol:

42 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

They also have high profile social media mouthpieces who go on like that. Thankfully our most notorious 'influencer' is some kid taking the piss.

Have warmed to the fact that Adam P is very different from most of the factory regens that the majority of clubs have as their most popular fan vlogger/ streamer

54 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I thought imagined that, the balls meant to go out of play isn't it? You don't just stop the game whilst a check goes on in the background? :lol:

He did it again 5 minutes later to book the PSG keeper too :lol:

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Do you know where to find a clip of it? I want to ask someone about it.

I've heard how the VAR explains the referee why they think he was wrong while he is on his way to the monitor, and they keep repeating it. Isn't this a recipe for triggering confirmation bias in the referee when he sees the replay? They also seem to cherrypick the angles and the slow motions in a way that gives them the strongest case for their opinion on the situation, which just further enhances the confirmation bias with the referee. Danny Murphy raised a good point with Talksport, why don't they just say "I think you should have a look, just in case", and not tell him why they think he's wrong? That way they wont trigger confirmation bias as much. They should also show different replays than just one or two very slow ones, show one with a good view in full speed, or close to full speed.

The confirmation bias thing is certainly a problem when you have a world class referee on the pitch making a good decision, and then you have a less competent referee in the VAR room telling him what he should be seeing his cherrypicked replay..

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Clattenburg apparently saying that the ref wasnt shown all the angles? are you fucking kidding me????

I mean I assume the ref is capable of asking for the angles so I'm not having that absolve him.

54 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I've heard how the VAR explains the referee why they think he was wrong while he is on his way to the monitor, and they keep repeating it. Isn't this a recipe for triggering confirmation bias in the referee when he sees the replay? They also seem to cherrypick the angles and the slow motions in a way that gives them the strongest case for their opinion on the situation, which just further enhances the confirmation bias with the referee. Danny Murphy raised a good point with Talksport, why don't they just say "I think you should have a look, just in case", and not tell him why they think he's wrong? That way they wont trigger confirmation bias as much. They should also show different replays than just one or two very slow ones, show one with a good view in full speed, or close to full speed.

The confirmation bias thing is certainly a problem when you have a world class referee on the pitch making a good decision, and then you have a less competent referee in the VAR room telling him what he should be seeing his cherrypicked replay..

Contrast this to Rugby where they have a conversation and the ref is shown a number of angles and at full speed. They even chat to the line judge to confirm. VAR has to be changed to show the ref at the screen multiple angles not just one. 

21 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Clattenburg apparently saying that the ref wasnt shown all the angles? are you fucking kidding me????

I'm wondering how he knows that, but if true that is fucking ridiculous.

Honestly the biggest problem with VAR isn't the technology or even the humans involved necessarily. It's that the entire process, or lack thereof, appears to have been slapped together with little thought. The Liverpool error was because there's no defined process. The fact there isn't a clear outline about how many angles (i.e. all available), speeds, etc. need to be shown is ridiculous. The same goes for communication - who is talking and when? what words are being used? 

Guest reefatoon
33 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If that’s the case then something fucking stinks about that. 

Is it a European directive the they stop the game when there's a VAR review ongoing rather than wait for the ball out of play?

Twice we had possession and he just stopped the play which allowed them to get back into a better position

When do we scrap VAR then?

The amount of times it has intervened in games only to make the wrong decision is unforgivable now. Every week the main talking points are about a scandalous VAR decision.

I can accept a bad refereeing decision but when some spenks have had the fortune of watching numerous replays and still get it wrong it isn’t on at all 

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

When do we scrap VAR then?

The amount of times it has intervened in games only to make the wrong decision is unforgivable now. Every week the main talking points are about a scandalous VAR decision.

I can accept a bad refereeing decision but when some spenks have had the fortune of watching numerous replays and still get it wrong it isn’t on at all 

They'll double down before backing down now I fear. 

I'm guessing VAR has properly fixed many more decisions than it has gotten wrong. The problem is when VAR intervenes and gets it wrong it usually seems so stupid and avoidable. They need to fix the process.

(This is ignoring the very valid argument about it tarnishing the best thing about the sport - the goals and ensuing celebrations. I don't know what to do about that.)

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

(This is ignoring the very valid argument about it tarnishing the best thing about the sport - the goals and ensuing celebrations. I don't know what to do about that.)

I don't have problems celebrating goals. The ball is in the net, it's infinitely more likely to result in a goal than when it's not in the net. Even celebrated the Gordon goal against Arsenal while acknowledging replays will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

I don't have problems celebrating goals. The ball is in the net, it's infinitely more likely to result in a goal than when it's not in the net. Even celebrated the Gordon goal against Arsenal while acknowledging replays will be interesting.

It's almost always there in the back of your mind when a goal goes in now. A good example was Wilson for the third against Brighton last season. I barely reacted as I was certain he'd be ruled offside. Bruno for the 4th was the opposite - pure euphoria like pre-VAR.

56 minutes ago, Pata said:

Me too. We've an idea when it looks like something might get brought back. Isaks goal yesterday for example we were able to celebrate as soon as it crosses the line, most goals are like this.

Fair play to the UEFA officials, last night they gave a pen that was never a handball and then tonight to make up for it they wiped off a pen that probably was handball, or certainly more than ours was, so it all evens out.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fair play to the UEFA officials, last night they gave a pen that was never a handball and then tonight to make up for it they wiped off a pen that probably was handball, or certainly more than ours was, so it all evens out.

Aye, wtf is going on?

22:54

Late drama

Bayern Munich 0-0 Copenhagen

Referee Stephanie Frappart awards a penalty to Bayern Munich after believing the ball bounced up on to the arm of Peter Ankersen.

It's so similar to the incident last night when Newcastle's Tino Livramento gave away a penalty against Paris St-Germain.

However, this time VAR tell the referee to take a look and she overturns her initial on-field decision.