Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

2 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Hardly any fouls are deliberate. Most are just mistimed and clumsy 

I'm just saying that image looks like a stamp when it definitely wasn't. 

I can't feel hugely hard-done-by with the decision if I'm honest. If VARs are there to re-referee then, sure, make the call. But there's no way you can expect Rob Jones to spot a foul there. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

I can't feel hugely hard-done-by with the decision if I'm honest. If VARs are there to re-referee then, sure, make the call. But there's no way you can expect Rob Jones to spot a foul there. 

Yeah that’s fair but I think the video should have shown them it was a foul 

so the commentators and the biased studio guests thought it was pel.

just VAR officials thought it wasnt.

i reckon they only looked as casemeiro's challenge and ignored the other.

Posted (edited)

Couldn't agree more with Anthony Gordon's honesty during his Sky interview after the game, it can work, but only when fanboy referees stop using it to enhance corruption.

We need to hear the conversation (audio)

If it's a clear and obvious error from VAR after reviewing, that official should lose any premier league bonuses they would normally receive. 

Get tougher on them for blatantly getting it wrong.

Edited by mighty__mag

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

And this tonight highlight one major problem with VAR. I don’t blame the ref as it took a few replays to see the contact on Gordon but the VAR officials go and look it and they can see the contact but because the onfield ref didn’t give it they won’t change it because of the ‘high threshold’ pish. They either want to re-ref the game using VAR or they don’t. They are somewhere in the middle and it doesn’t work 

I wonder how much time the people in the VAR room spend evaluating how big the error is, and whether the error is "clear and obvious" (which is highly subjective anyways).. Seems like the main question in most situations to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I wonder how much time the people in the VAR room spend evaluating how big the error is, and whether the error is "clear and obvious" (which is highly subjective anyways).. Seems like the main question in most situations to be honest.

The whole clear and obvious error thing is just there to make it look like the on field official is in charge but the whole clear and obvious thing is creating most of the problems. That was a penalty tonight but was deemed ‘a clear and obvious’ mistake by the ref it’s a farce. I’d love to go back to the old way.

wouldn’t have got the penalty then either but it doesn’t feel like we’ve been cheated as much as when VAR look at it and still don’t give it 

He is spot on, if you can't use it properly then get rid of it. The VAR audio feed should be available on the broadcast so everyone can hear what they are saying.

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yep, it's the kind of decision I can live with in a non-VAR world. I thought it was a penalty immediately, but the aggro comes from the existence of VAR.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I feel like we complain about a VAR decision in our office almost daily. Refs make mistakes too of course, but for me football was fine like that for 30+ years of my life. Aye you got shafted every now and then, but now when it happens it feels almost deliberate due to how long it takes to still reach the decision that shafts us. 

I really don't feel like this is the case. The reason we have VAR is because everyone whinged for years about shocking decisions, I don't ever remember a time when it was fine.

When the decision is still wrong after it's gone to VAR it's 10x worse definitely, but it does feel like decisions are now right much more often since VAR's come in.

Was the decision wrong, or was it corrupt. That's what we always ask when something as blatant as this happens.

The Rodri handball for instance, there wasn't any way that it couldn't have been given, yet that was the case
Just fed up of self-titled big clubs getting decisions like this, been going on since the advent of 'Barclays Premier League live on Sky'

I pray it gets scrapped - hate it.  Made the game worse.  Open to abuse as well as is a tool to manipulate results.

Gordon will probably get a fine, but it's a total disgrace, that again a VAR official made no recommendation for the ref to go to the monitor. The foul is totally blatant and obvious. I'd be quite happy to see VAR go. I would keep goal line technology and introduce the new semi automated offside, and take away the conjecture decisions. Looks like it's keep everything or lose everything though. Of course the obvious answer is better operators, but that's never going to happen with the totally incompetent officials we have,

It was the speed of the Gordon penalty decision that pissed me off, it does seem that the top 6 get my time on their var decisions than the rest of us.

Without sounding like a conspiracy nut the officials seem to look for reasons to give decisions for them but for the rest of the teams they look hard for reasons not to.

38 minutes ago, Ben said:

It was the speed of the Gordon penalty decision that pissed me off, it does seem that the top 6 get my time on their var decisions than the rest of us.

Without sounding like a conspiracy nut the officials seem to look for reasons to give decisions for them but for the rest of the teams they look hard for reasons not to.

I'm not convinced he was even looking at the actual foul, it looked to me he just checked the casimero challenge. Nobody checking the first challenger could say it wasn't a penalty surely

8 hours ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

Was the decision wrong, or was it corrupt. That's what we always ask when something as blatant as this happens.

The Rodri handball for instance, there wasn't any way that it couldn't have been given, yet that was the case
Just fed up of self-titled big clubs getting decisions like this, been going on since the advent of 'Barclays Premier League live on Sky'

VAR decisions has certainly shaped some crucial moments for the worse. We might not have won  yesterday, but we certainly had them on the edge if we have had that penalty. And as is mentioned here, they sure seem to take their time when its one of the usual top teams who needs a check.

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I can't feel hugely hard-done-by with the decision if I'm honest. If VARs are there to re-referee then, sure, make the call. But there's no way you can expect Rob Jones to spot a foul there

Isn’t that that what var is for? 

9 hours ago, huss9 said:

so the commentators and the biased studio guests thought it was pel.

just VAR officials thought it wasnt.

i reckon they only looked as casemeiro's challenge and ignored the other.

If it was the other way around, they would use all the time in the world to find the foul, not just check that casemiro got the ball

11 hours ago, Yorkie said:

To me the image looks exactly like what it was he caught him on the Achilles while running and it’s a penalty. I can forgive the ref for missing it but VAR not changing it is criminal 

Posted (edited)

I dislike VAR but I can see a world where it's implemented better and doesn't need to be scrapped. And scrapping it will just return us to the era of MOTD/Sky drawing lines on the pitch and highlighting every offside mistake. And loads of pens like the one yesterday being missed.

I would probably go with something like giving no relevance to the on-field decision (just decide if it's a pen or not, instead of deciding the degree of error), having the conversation between officials broadcast live, and the communication with fans in the stadium and TV needs to be much, much better. Everything should be clear, step-by-step and communicated to everyone watching.

Combine that with the automated offsides (also show live on screen in the stadium) and you're getting closer to a less frustrating implementation. 

Football decisions are very subjective a lot of the time, so you can see where the fundamental difficulty of implementing VAR comes from. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

To me the image looks exactly like what it was he caught him on the Achilles while running and it’s a penalty. I can forgive the ref for missing it but VAR not changing it is criminal 

And this to me is one of the fundamental issues. As a fan it's a lot easier to forgive missing something in real time - it's basically just part of the game. But it's much harder to forgive when they are re-refereeing it and still getting it wrong.

All they've done is migrate the the decision making from the ref to three IT wankers sitting in a van outside the stadium. [emoji38]

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NG32 said:

All they've done is migrate the the decision making from the ref to three IT wankers sitting in a van outside the stadium. [emoji38]

I actually think if they had done this then the decisions might be better. For me it's the interplay between VAR and the 'clear and obvious' thing that makes it wide open to mistakes. 

If the video referee was just making the decisions I think the consistency would probably be better.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I actually think if they had done this then the decisions might be better. For me it's the interplay between VAR and the 'clear and obvious' thing that makes it wide open to mistakes. 

If the video referee was just making the decisions I think the consistency would probably be better.

I was under the impression the ref was advised by the VAR crew that it wasn't worth looking at it again.