Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

34 minutes ago, Sima said:

Sorry, perhaps I’m not being entirely clear.

Pawson gave the red on the pitch and then there had to be reasonable doubt to overturn.

If Pawson had not given the red and the sending off went to VAR instead I don’t think that decision would have been overturned into a red by the same reasonable doubt.

That could have gone to every ref and VAR in the league and it still would have been red

40 minutes ago, Sima said:

Sorry, perhaps I’m not being entirely clear.

Pawson gave the red on the pitch and then there had to be reasonable doubt to overturn.

If Pawson had not given the red and the sending off went to VAR instead I don’t think that decision would have been overturned into a red by the same reasonable doubt.

And that in a nutshell is why VAR is shit. 

If you're going to spend time to watch a video replay of something and hold up the match whilst you are doing it then arrive at the correct decision. 

This arbitrary notion of "was that clearly and obviously an error enough for me to intervene" is obviously a nonsense which is why it's been constantly argued about every single week. 

And this season they've announced they've moved the line for what constitutes clear and obvious so we can argue about it even more. 

Exactly, if they're going to use video it's because the video is a better way to make the decision. So make the decision from the video. 

Having stuff like 'ref thinks player did violent conduct, video shows player didn't do violent conduct, but it was kind of understandable that the ref thought he did' is absolutely stupid. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Considering just how specific coaching gets, it wouldn't surprise me if the next thing was teams having a covert referee coach, ie knowing what they're like and exploiting it 

Didn't Forest do something similar to this last season? Sure they had Clattenburg on their staff for a while advising them. 

Shouldn't Bereton Diaz have been sent off for his antics on Schär anyway? The free kick was given like 5 seconds before he barges in to him, way more aggressively than what Schär is doing.

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Shouldn't Bereton Diaz have been sent off for his antics on Schär anyway? The free kick was given like 5 seconds before he barges in to him, way more aggressively than what Schär is doing.

yep - ref was terrible. Standard in the PL is poor.

Red can go either way for me. Main gripe was how needlessly petty and fussy he was, putting the ball back to the exact spot of fouls etc. Game suffered as a spectacle. Let Southampton play the plucky away team panto role pretty perfectly.

I absolutely hate this man.  He's horrendous every time.  Obviously I notice it more in our games, but she's just continuously shite.   Like, absolutely wrong in most things, even Southampton fans probably hate him after today. 

Useless. 

How him and Anthony Taylor are still working at the top I'll never know 

SHIT. 

Edit: I'm not even referring to the red, I share the same opinion as Shearer on that :lol: it was silly of Schar to react, took the bait. 

Edited by Wilson

I'm not even having the "Schär is an idiot" talk. Bereton Diaz is so out of line that of course Schär is going to react, and he barely does anything anyway. I'd be fuming if someone did that to me as well like. 

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'm not even having the "Schär is an idiot" talk. Bereton Diaz is so out of line that of course Schär is going to react, and he barely does anything anyway. I'd be fuming if someone did that to me as well like. 

Completely, Schar didn’t do anything anywhere near warranting a red a card. 

The game's rules state that "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card.[3] The rule changes are in response to an increasing trend of diving and simulation.

BD should 100% have had two yellow cards according to the laws of the fucking game - foul off the ball + attempt to deceive the rev. Pawson knew it was a dive the same as everyone else who has seen it.

If common sense prevails, Fab gets a yellow and BD gets two yellows. Factor in all refs being fucking morons and you would accept 2 red cards but anything else is totally unjust. 

Now the next player who gets the chance to con the ref goes down like BD because he knows he gets away with it.  The powers that be just don’t give a shit about the integrity of the game.

The part that really annoys me is the shove on Schar, who was totally defenseless and looking the other way, after the whistle had clearly gone.  

That had a much higher probability of leading to an actual injury than Schar lowering his head.

The more dangerous offense resulted in a lighter punishment. And the less dangerous offense received a harsher punishment. That doesn’t add up to me. 

Edited by Bellars

Was a red card all day, Schar fell for it hook line and sinker, lets be honest if the roles were reversed and Diaz got pushed then reacted like Fabian did, everyone would be calling for a red card

You can still be sent off even if not contact is made. (E.g you can take a swing at someone and they swerve it)

From IFAB site,

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

11 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Was a red card all day, Schar fell for it hook line and sinker, lets be honest if the roles were reversed and Diaz got pushed then reacted like Fabian did, everyone would be calling for a red card

You can still be sent off even if not contact is made. (E.g you can take a swing at someone and they swerve it)

From IFAB site,

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

So by that definition, isn't Brereton Diaz's push a red card? Is it excessive force? Obviously. Was he challenging for the ball? No. 

Edited by healthyaddiction

4 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Like I've said before without the unnecessary theatrics would it have been a red?

If you think yes, then I have no words

That’s the crux of it for me. Braindead refs are rewarding this kind of behaviour.

It’s the same when people say “if he goes down there, that’s a pen”; why should they have to? you’re asking for players to ham it up/ cheat in order to get refs to make the right decisions. Ridiculous. 

Edited by McCormick

1 hour ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

From IFAB site,

Squaring up to someone isn't a failed attempt at violent conduct in the same way a swing and a miss is. 

What are you talking about?