Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

You missed my photos that took a lot of effort. :lol: And the photos prove it was 100% right decision to disallow Wilson’s goal.

That was after he flapped at it. I don't think Wilson did enough to account for the keepers mistake. 50% maybe, not 100%

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That was after he flapped at it. I don't think Wilson did enough to account for the keepers mistake. 50% maybe, not 100%

No, you can see on the other one I took that it's before the flap.

And why are they obsessed with timewasting, Paul?

I do feel a bit sorry for him because it’s getting harder and harder for clubs to make the step up…but the refs/FA rightly decided that timewasting was bullshit and are trying to do something about it. So if it’s an absolutely integral part of your gameplan then yeah, that will be annoying.

Gordon shields the ball and the keeper cleans him out, clumsy challenge and always a foul. Absolutely buys the foul, but that's football.

The only confusion is because we've seen a lot of clear fouls not given in the box recently for various arcane reasons, and I would not have been surprised if this was not given as well 

Whether Gordon was going to be able to keep the ball in is another question. Probably not, but we'll never know because the keeper cleaned him out.

I don’t think their job is being made any easier by all of these bullshit directives being brought in, but common sense and accountability seems to have gone out the window completely.

When you’ve got defenders

defending with their hands behind their backs and people getting elbowed in the face with minimal punishment, when you have a video replay system you could utilise to study the incident, the game is fucked! 
This is what happens when the game is governed by people who have never played or managed it.

I think the ref today got most of the big calls right tbf. Most, not all

Edited by Holmesy

55 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Football isn't chess. His players are able to move  as well at any time so they don't have to take pissing ages to take a goal kick. Salty tears. Nothing to do with refs not knowing the game. Keep crying your way to relegation Paul.

2 hours ago, Pata said:

IMG_8508.thumb.jpeg.da05696afca757eebdbf4a49837a651c.jpeg

I have no idea how 95% of N-O missed this but here’s Wilson grabbing goalie’s arm when he tried to punch the ball away and understandably missed it. :lol:

I did miss it on first watch, but I was also watching a close up of a corner we had in the second half where Wilson was trying to get some space and the defender (blonde lad) had his arms all over him, was tugging his shirt, and basically pulled him to the ground twice before the kick was even taken. Wilson himself made reference to it in his interview afterwards.

It just seems to me that any amount of petty fouls are allowed in professional football so it's just subjective when VAR or ref decisions are applied.

The ref was an utter disgrace. I’d say he largely favoured Brentford with the smaller decisions, time and time again he blew up when we were mounting

an attack after either no contact or fair winning of the ball. I don’t think either pen should be given but I understand why the Gordon one was. I just hate seeing pens given when there’s no actual chance of scoring a goal and where the attacker is the one angling to generate contact. I know Pata showed that still but I’d need to look at it properly, in all the replays I’ve seen I think the disallowed goal should have stood. Just a case of total ineptitude but at least VAR got it right about disallowing our second penalty 

11 hours ago, leffe186 said:

And why are they obsessed with timewasting, Paul?

I do feel a bit sorry for him because it’s getting harder and harder for clubs to make the step up…but the refs/FA rightly decided that timewasting was bullshit and are trying to do something about it. So if it’s an absolutely integral part of your gameplan then yeah, that will be annoying.

They are obsessed with it because the likes of Klopp, Ten Haag, and Arteta are using it as an excuse for why their teams are failing when they have poor games, and deflecting blame.

Klopp started saying there was not enough stoppage time as soon as his team got a get out of jail free card with stoppage time above what should have been added, and only a month into a new season which saw the introduction of 5 substitutes because he spent the last 2 seasons complaining that players were playing too much.

52 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The ref was an utter disgrace. I’d say he largely favoured Brentford with the smaller decisions, time and time again he blew up when we were mounting

an attack after either no contact or fair winning of the ball. I don’t think either pen should be given but I understand why the Gordon one was. I just hate seeing pens given when there’s no actual chance of scoring a goal and where the attacker is the one angling to generate contact. I know Pata showed that still but I’d need to look at it properly, in all the replays I’ve seen I think the disallowed goal should have stood. Just a case of total ineptitude but at least VAR got it right about disallowing our second penalty 

Sorry to say, but how is Gordon the only one angling to get contact and the keeper isn’t? You can say Gordon wasn’t getting to the ball, but neither was the keeper and if the keeper had just left it alone, the ball would have went out of play.

In addition, surely the fact that neither player was getting to the ball and contact was made make it more of a foul than anything?

Edited by Stifler

You can have a situation where a keeper is stupid for coming out to contest a ball that’s not going to amount to a good chance / will go out of play and where the attacking player makes use of that by putting their body in a position where contact will be made. That’s what happened yesterday. Stupid keeping, sly attacking play 

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Any thoughts on when Trips got trod on towards the end of the first half?

sky didn’t make much of it but it looked a clear foul in a great free kick position and possibly a second yellow for the defender.

Trippier's reaction to that was brilliant, the ref trotted the length of the pitch to check on him when the ball went dead to see if he was alright and a clearly in pain Trippier shook his head and waved his hand dismissively at the ref as if to say "fuck off, you waved the foul away before so why are you coming all this way now to see if I'm injured?" 

16 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Imo a soft pen, but made up for disallowing a perfectly reasonable goal and an 'unnatural position' handball.

Basically Pawson got more or less everything wrong throughout 

This, it's soft but the keeper being an idiot means it's right. I hate the handball rule so glad that wasn't given. Different story if the header was on target mind. Our pen at spurs was a joke with his back to it