Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

think it should always be your front foot that decides if ur offside.

and the lines drawn to check need to be a little thicker as working out exactly when a pass is actually played forward is dependent on whoever is operating the film. 

13 hours ago, 80 said:

As you know, we're very closely aligned on the current implementation of the offside law. But here's the problem I have with the Wenger law:

IMG_20240508_231438.thumb.jpg.97b27f9183bddc1a85acf0f1ee992e4f.jpg

That red attacker would be onside as I understand it, due to there being no daylight between the two players toes. And that looks like a recipe for madness to me.

Let me try and explain once more why I’d prefer the Wenger law…

It’s like a close boxing fight currently where no one really knows for sure who has won and even when the scorecards are revealed and two judges have it 6-4 and another 4-6. There is a massive sense of unresolvement after the decision amongst players managers pundits and fans.

With the Wenger rule it be like a 9-1 boxing fight on all 3 scorecards. There’d be that 1 round to base an argument on but the fact the other 9 rounds went the other way everyone has a reasonable sense of acceptance of the decision.

Give it a try and let’s get back to sensible goals being allowed. After two seasons review it if you think its had a negative effect but it was the rule in the 80’s/90’s when I was watching football and I thought the game was much the better for it. Time would tell. Anything is worth a try instead of this current ruling. Has anyone scored via a shoulder 30 yards out? It’s pathetic man.

7 hours ago, Tross said:

But this would be 'beating the offside trap'. Don't see anything wrong with that IMO. 

In the same way that Isak lost against the offside trap at Anfield. Simple as that? I don't think either decision is really acceptable.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

Let me try and explain once more why I’d prefer the Wenger law…

It’s like a close boxing fight currently where no one really knows for sure who has won and even when the scorecards are revealed and two judges have it 6-4 and another 4-6. There is a massive sense of unresolvement after the decision amongst players managers pundits and fans.

With the Wenger rule it be like a 9-1 boxing fight on all 3 scorecards. There’d be that 1 round to base an argument on but the fact the other 9 rounds went the other way everyone has a reasonable sense of acceptance of the decision.

Give it a try and let’s get back to sensible goals being allowed. After two seasons review it if you think its had a negative effect but it was the rule in the 80’s/90’s when I was watching football and I thought the game was much the better for it. Time would tell. Anything is worth a try instead of this current ruling. Has anyone scored via a shoulder 30 yards out? It’s pathetic man.

I'm 80-90% of the way with you but, with respect, I think you're mixing up the closeness of either decision being accurate with the closeness of the players' bodies. I think you're massively overestimating how much acceptance there'd be of decisions from the Artetas and Arsenal fans of the world.

The real problem is enforcing either decision with VAR. We'll just end up with fractional decisions about whose shoelace is where. Or, more likely, MUCH deeper defending, with the emphasis on keeping your opponent in front of you, making the offside rule quasi-obsolete. I don't necessarily think that's a terrible thing, by the way, it would open up a lot more space in the middle of the park which could be interesting for a while, at least.

To be clear, I'm against technological solutions and pro-90s style refereeing. I think we've made a total mess of the game and are making it gradually less appealing to kids. But if there was a technical fix, it would probably involve sticking tracking sensors to the seat of the players' shorts. That's approximately where you'd gain overall acceptance over whether an attacker has received an advantage or not.

9 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm 80-90% of the way with you but, with respect, I think you're mixing up the closeness of either decision being accurate with the closeness of the players' bodies. I think you're massively overestimating how much acceptance there'd be of decisions from the Artetas and Arsenal fans of the world.

The real problem is enforcing either decision with VAR. We'll just end up with fractional decisions about whose shoelace is where. Or, more likely, MUCH deeper defending, with the emphasis on keeping your opponent in front of you, making the offside rule quasi-obsolete. I don't necessarily think that's a terrible thing, by the way, it would open up a lot more space in the middle of the park which could be interesting for a while, at least.

To be clear, I'm against technological solutions and pro-90s style refereeing. I think we've made a total mess of the game and are making it gradually less appealing to kids. But if there was a technical fix, it would probably involve sticking tracking sensors to the seat of the players' shorts. That's approximately where you'd gain overall acceptance over whether an attacker has received an advantage or not.

A sensor attached to each players crotch. That's basically the centre of gravity and defines your position on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Cf said:

A sensor attached to each players crotch. That's basically the centre of gravity and defines your position on the pitch.

The perineum to be precise, nicely nestled under their ballbags.

Posted (edited)

So we're cool losing an FA Cup Final one day to Aston Villa to a goal like Solihull Moors' equaliser on Saturday, if it means we scrap VAR?

Pretty easy to miss in real time but he was miles off.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just watched the goals. Not sure what we're talking about - is it the guy who played the cross in leading to the penalty?

Totally cool with it. Just like the 97% of footballing history that made it the most popular spectator sport in the world. The rules should function as deterrents and pace setters rather than as instruments of torture. Leave that to the Olympic triple jumpers.

4 hours ago, 80 said:

Just watched the goals. Not sure what we're talking about - is it the guy who played the cross in leading to the penalty?

Totally cool with it. Just like the 97% of footballing history that made it the most popular spectator sport in the world. The rules should function as deterrents and pace setters rather than as instruments of torture. Leave that to the Olympic triple jumpers.

The equaliser, the striker that scored came from a yard offside to win the ball centre of the pitch, a few passes later he was scoring. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The equaliser, the striker that scored came from a yard offside to win the ball centre of the pitch, a few passes later he was scoring. 

Ah, fair enough... The clip I watched must be too short because I can't see anything dodgy in the final three or four passes. I mean... It sounds like the definition of something I don't think people should carry a deep grievance about.

Certainly not so deep that the entire game needs to be altered to fit around it, at any rate. It's VAR that's made the philosophy of placing an offside line so painful. Beforehand, defacto, if it looked like an unfair advantage was gained it was offside and if it looked immaterial it was onside. And the game worked stunningly well.

On 13/05/2024 at 00:25, Optimistic Nut said:

So we're cool losing an FA Cup Final one day to Aston Villa to a goal like Solihull Moors' equaliser on Saturday, if it means we scrap VAR?

Pretty easy to miss in real time but he was miles off.

I agree with you. People hark back to the pre-VAR era as if it's some kind of "good old days" whereas I remember the reality and we used to get absolutely screwed over almost weekly by the awful standard of refereeing. 

The focus should be around making VAR better, faster and idiot-proof, not scrapping it. 

The semi-automated offsides are a good first step. The next thing they should do is separate the PL refereeing pool into VARs and on-field referees. The people using the tech should be using it constantly and should be absolute experts in it rather than using it one weekend in every three and running round a pitch the other two.

Nobody has ever complained about Hawk Eye (Sheff U v Villa 2020 aside) because it's quick and (99.99%) flawless - the aim should be getting the VAR system as close to that as possible rather than thinking of binning it.

5 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I agree with you. People hark back to the pre-VAR era as if it's some kind of "good old days" whereas I remember the reality and we used to get absolutely screwed over almost weekly by the awful standard of refereeing. 

The focus should be around making VAR better, faster and idiot-proof, not scrapping it. 

The semi-automated offsides are a good first step. The next thing they should do is separate the PL refereeing pool into VARs and on-field referees. The people using the tech should be using it constantly and should be absolute experts in it rather than using it one weekend in every three and running round a pitch the other two.

Nobody has ever complained about Hawk Eye (Sheff U v Villa 2020 aside) because it's quick and (99.99%) flawless - the aim should be getting the VAR system as close to that as possible rather than thinking of binning it.

Would take too long to perfect, get rid I say.