Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Santon has only played 3 games. How can you say he's better than our other fullbacks. :lol1:

If he's not then why did we pay £5m for him?

He's a prospect. He hasn't done anything to be labelled better than Simpson...yet. Seriously, what's he done? Ran down wing a few times and that makes him better than someone who's played 80+(?) games for the club.

Lets get Ramage back then.

I doubt when we agreed to pay £5m for Santon it was to play him in the reserves - he was bought to replace Enrique remember? If Ryan Taylor's a better left back than Santon then whoever is responsible for our transfer buying has some explaining to do.

Honestly I'm completely in the dark as to how good Santon actually is defensively. Never really had the opportunity to show real quality or be horribly exposed during his time playing.

We have conceded 11 goals in his four starts though :lol: Not that that actually means much.

Santon is a left back with 7 Italy caps and many games in the Champions League. If an out of position Ryan Taylor (who's very average in his proper position) is a better option than him at left back, we're going wrong somewhere.

Vuckic and Best ahead of Ben Arfa too. Its ridiculous.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Everyone who's played marked Downing this season has done that.

No they haven't and besides he bummed R.Taylor.

Or he felt that the other teams we've played against recently were a bit suspect at the back and thought a more direct approach was better...

Personally Id go for playing the ball on the deck with plenty of movement over long ball anyday.

I dont think Pardew sits in his office and thinks "right, long ball for the next few weeks"  his plans plan for each game may have to differ given the information he has been handed by his scouts. 

Well there were stories about Pardew having an "attention-to-detail" approach when it came to analysing the opposition. After such an analysis, he would then find the appropriate tactics to handle said team. I still like to think this is so but the recent direct football is still puzzling mind.

Why is it Ben Arfa is the only player who is held to these standards? He hasn't done enough, But Obertan and Simpson have?

Because it's likely for Ben Arfa to come in, Pardew would have to change the whole formation/game plan. He's not going to do that if he's not sure of his fitness, is he.

Plus, he's probably been saving him knowing about the ACON coming up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change following the Man Utd game.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Downing hasn't got a league goal or assist this season, keeping him quiet is not hard to do.

Stats oh wonderful stats!

He's come very very close, hitting the bar a couple of times etc etc,

Actually watch him play and then come back eh?

What Pards has cunningly done is insinuate that Hatem is a luxury player who doesn't contribute to the defensive side of things. It's like saying an apple isn't an orange..I only play oranges..Or summink. :lol:

Maybe the hype about this lad, was maybe just hype and he actually is s*** and we are better off with Shola or Best up front??

Maybe Arfa was bought by Llambias and now pardew has had a good look at him, he thinks he is not up to the prem standard.

If that was true it would say more about the manager than the player.

Downing hasn't got a league goal or assist this season, keeping him quiet is not hard to do.

He made a notable difference defending that side though, Jonas and Taylor were getting destroyed for pace and skill, did not happen when Santon came on

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2523/frontpage4january201282.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6166/backpage4january2012990.jpg

A slightly different take on things. :lol:

Better. :smitten:

Although I'm really not liking the situation. Pardew will continue to be stubborn and it will only get worse.

Pardew: "I want to see much more from Ben Arfa. "

Really gets on my nerves that line. Sure, he's got more to him than what we've seen so far, but for gods sake - Obertan is playing day in day out, doing next to nothing.

eshould take confidence in the knowledge that ardew was the manager who benched Tevez and Mascherano at WHU. I'm certain some clever dicky will be able to identify the players he played in their place.

Because they had to pay more money every time they played.