Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

He was OK at best.

Compared to the average player he was decent, for his own ability though that was a poor game from him today. Wasted several key chances for us, we cant afford that the way we're playing.

This for me. He was still one of the few bright spots today as he's always pleasing on the eye, but he seems to be having trouble with the fairly simple stuff that decides games at the moment. Last week he failed to play in an unmarked Cisse (iirc) on the break, this week he had a chance to launch Ba in a one on one and completely misjudged the pace of the ball. For a player as technically gifted as him it is incredibly frustrating to see him be responsible for the breaking down of promising moves, especially as we don't have many these days and generally (over)rely on our flair players to conjure something out of nothing.

Some straight up crazy talk going on here. Not a team player? He is a flair player yes, so that means there will be times where his tricks don't pay off. However he works his socks off all game and some of his passing is sublime. Only having one or two to aim for in the box full of opposition players is a bigger concern. His impact is stifled by the former but also the fact that the opposition now knows all they have to do to shut us down is mark Hatem out of the game.

hey dont misconstrue what im saying, im not saying he's lazy,  im talking about teamplay as in releasing the ball to a team mate who is free to receive it. 

give and move, pass, and receive, work the ball with your team mates, dont hog it,.  dont be selfish.

he can do all trick twist and turn in that last third, in the penalty box thats nice. thats what he should do.  i have no probs, but that dont excuse his nonsense when he screws up our breaks on the counter.

Do you go to the games? Serious question.

yeh lots of them do you?

Yes mate, I've been going for many a year. And for the life of me I cant understand your f***ed up logic. The one player who ever looks like creating or carrying the ball you choose to single out. At one point today he carried the ball from the half way line to their touchline only to look up to find no one within 20 yards of him (he manged to win a corner).

He tried to force the game in the last ten, which no one can really critise considering how f***ing s*** we were. There are far bigger probelms than HBA so get a f***ing grip.

he tried to force the game in the last ten minutes, oh please have longer memory than the last ten minutes, what was he doing and did not do for rest of the game?  west ham pretty much let hba and the rest of our team have the ball after they scored and we manage sweet f.a.

im in a hba thread of course i single him out,  look i like HBA believe it or not, i appreciate the finer things he can do that others cant do, like you pointed out, 

but!!!

those are great things but what about the simple things he needs to do, all players need a foundation he needs to work on his.  he can dribble past 20 men and score once in a while, which is amazing but you got to understand a lot of times there will be team mates that are in way better positions to carry the ball forward with just a simple pass to them. 

he tried to force the game in the last ten minutes, oh please have longer memory than the last ten minutes, what was he doing and did not do for rest of the game?  west ham pretty much let hba and the rest of our team have the ball after they scored and we manage sweet f.a.

im in a hba thread of course i single him out,  look i like HBA believe it or not, i appreciate the finer things he can do that others cant do, like you pointed out, 

but!!!

those are great things but what about the simple things he needs to do, all players need a foundation he needs to work on his.  he can dribble past 20 men and score once in a while, which is amazing but you got to understand a lot of times there will be team mates that are in way better positions to carry the ball forward with just a simple pass to them. 

Ben Arfa isn't a problem, he's the only bright spot amongst some fairly shit performances at the minute.

but!!!

Ben Arfa isn't a problem, he's the only bright spot amongst some fairly s*** performances at the minute.

he isn't the main problem no, but he most certainly is part of it.

He's the smallest part of the problem lunchbox, he's created a lot of opportunities for others this year and did so last year too. I don't recall him having many passing options at all today and with the way we've been playing he should be encouraged to do something different because the 'simple game' for us has been tragically bad so far and created nothing.

I thought he had a good first half but a poorer second one.

He's the smallest part of the problem lunchbox, he's created a lot of opportunities for others this year and did so last year too. I don't recall him having many passing options at all today and with the way we've been playing he should be encouraged to do something different because the 'simple game' for us has been tragically bad so far and created nothing.

really?

He has to be given a free role behind the front two imho. Just something to link the middle of the park and the front line as well as giving us some unpredictability and movement.

Yes. This is the answer. I've just decided.

really?

Do you? Or are you going to continue to highlight a very vague Cabaye incident? The movement around the lad is horrendous.

really?

Do you? Or are you going to continue to highlight a very vague Cabaye incident? The movement around the lad is horrendous.

To clarify I'm not on the HBA is shit/not a team player side of the argument, but how about when we broke and he had Demba Ba to his right (movement around him) for a relatively easy set up and he overhit it towards the corner flag?

really?

To clarify I'm not on the HBA is shit/not a team player side of the argument, but how about when we broke and he had Demba Ba to his right (movement around him) for a relatively easy set up and he overhit it towards the corner flag?

He should have done better there, but in fairness that whole break came because of his brilliance in the first place. Thought we had another Bolton goal on our hands.

i also thought he was s***,  it shocks me how many fans blatently ignore his lack of team play simply because he's technically gifted.

he can have all the gift in the world, if he's not a team player he's just a one man clown show.

a lot of our counter attacks breaks down due to this guy believe it or not.

when on the off chance we get to try a fast break down the right flank, we string one-two passes up the field, when it arrive at HBA's feet he dribbles then stop as he's beginning to be closed down by the opposition,  his team mate is waiting for that pass,  HBA twist and turn trying to dribble forward again, all the while he has an eternity of time to make that simple pass out.

the move is lost, the attack is lost, the momentum is gone,  that simple 5 yard pass that Cabaye is usually waiting to receive never arrives.

http://generatormeme.com/media/created/me0jj1.jpg

How can you call Messi a team player and Ben Arfa not using the logic you applied earlier?

omg someone that havent seen a barcelona game in their life,

watch them ffs. They all pass the ball, the right time the right moment, they pass more than they dribble, and that includes messi, xavi and iniesta.  not saying thats the holy grail to success or trophies , but thats a good example of a team of teamplayers.