Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

At no time did the opportunity for a chip present itself, he'll be pissed off as much as anyone he anticipated something that didnt happen. He's usually a step ahead of everyone in that respect, and his night was a bit like that. The right choice was to hit it but I think the keeper had most of the goal covered. So all in all it was a difficult chance. Would have been nice but I'm just glad to see him back.

Still can't figure out how he's fit to play 60 mins last night and not make a sub appearance in the last two league games.

At no time did the opportunity for a chip present itself, he'll be p*ssed off as much as anyone he anticipated something that didnt happen. He's usually a step ahead of everyone in that respect, and his night was a bit like that. The right choice was to hit it but I think the keeper had most of the goal covered. So all in all it was a difficult chance. Would have been nice but I'm just glad to see him back.

Still can't figure out how he's fit to play 60 mins last night and not make a sub appearance in the last two league games.

Well it didnt as was, but he'll have been anticipating keeper going to ground as he went to shoot, didn't judge it right at all

At no time did the opportunity for a chip present itself, he'll be p*ssed off as much as anyone he anticipated something that didnt happen. He's usually a step ahead of everyone in that respect, and his night was a bit like that. The right choice was to hit it but I think the keeper had most of the goal covered. So all in all it was a difficult chance. Would have been nice but I'm just glad to see him back.

I thought he looked like he was running through treacle last night and could easily understand why he hadn't played in the previous 2 games.

I think he should have tried to keep it low and hard, but it was a tough angle and it looked like the keeper was getting ready to go down. He's amazing so I'm not going to be too harsh on him, I would have done the same as well tbh, and I'm pretty good.

I thought he looked like he was running through treacle last night and could easily understand why he hadn't played in the previous 2 games.

So 10-15mins at the end of those two games make even more sense. Is the perfect time to bring him back. He gets fitness and is more equal to what's left on the pitch as they've done 75mins already in more suitable conditions. If he was fit enough to start last night he was at least fit enough for 10mins against Swansea.

He is what he is, we can't applaud the half-pitch solo goals etc and also scream at him to do the basics. Would have been amazing if it had worked.

Absolutely, if it had came off we'd have been raving about it!!

That's what I would say as well :lol:

In fairness I think the keeper done well, had himself in a position where he was covering most of the goal, and ready to hit the deck or stay on his feet depending what was needed, made it a a tough chance.

Although at the time I was hoping HBA would put his laces through it.

he said that the artificial pitch had less give and as a result the chip didnt come off as intended

I thought that was noticeable on quite a few occasions yesterday, both teams struggled to beat the first man with any of the set pieces for example.

Guest VanBarduck
“We can now finish the job. Next week we have a great chance to win with our team.” “St James Park will be a different game now.” “It was a good birthday for me still almost perfect, but 0-0 is OK.” “We haven’t lost and we have a great chance to qualify.”

“I had a chance and I actually tried to chip it high over the keeper.” “I was aiming for more uplift, but on that pitch it isn’t the same as on grass.” “I hope next game I get another chance and this time I’ll score.”

““We were solid and we tried to keep the ball.” “But it was a night when we didn’t have too many chances to score.” “I think 0-0 though is a good score-line. We always prefer to score a goal or two of course.”

“Yet this gives us a good chance to get through.” “It was hard on the plastic pitch because it isn’t easy on the knees.” “But that is the game and we had to play on it.”

“Overall I feel good and I am very happy to be going back with the score level.”

“Hatem lasted longer than I thought and did well given he is not fit.” “I have thought about using him there before because if I was a centre-back he is the last person I would want to see with the ball at his feet. And I would certainly consider it again.”

he said that the artificial pitch had less give and as a result the chip didnt come off as intended

I thought that was noticeable on quite a few occasions yesterday, both teams struggled to beat the first man with any of the set pieces for example.

Thats really not that unusual for us

I have to disagree slightly.

For me its about getting your best players on the ball as much as possible. And having Hatem/Sissoko up front means that isnt the case. Id love them both deeper, getting the ball as much as possible, and influencing the game

For me its about getting your best players on the ball as much as possible. And having Hatem/Sissoko up front means that isnt the case. Id love them both deeper, getting the ball as much as possible, and influencing the game

Aye, pointless having Hatem that far forward. No choice last night like, but no point having him too far away from play.

Thats really not that unusual for us

I know, but as it happened to both teams, I thought there might be something in it.

Aye, pointless having Hatem that far forward. No choice last night like, but no point having him too far away from play.

I'm not totally sure about this. We want him on the ball as much as possible, but we also want him on the ball in areas where he can really hurt the opposition. Not saying he should be a lone striker obv.

Depends on the opposition for me.... this was a very tactical game with no much space in midfield and we didn't keep possession well enough to make it effective.

If we played in a game where there are spaces in the midfield and we dominate the ball i see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Also of course Hatem wasn't fit and imagine if we had Gouffran out there instead of Obertan, i think it can definitely work with the right game plan and against the right opposition.

I would definitely consider it again anyway, also the fact it was on a plastic pitch shouldn't be underestimated either its difficult to pass on such a pitch.

I'm not totally sure about this. We want him on the ball as much as possible, but we also want him on the ball in areas where he can really hurt the opposition.Not saying he should be a lone striker obv.

:thup:

Imo this is why he needs a free role behind the striker, drifting anywhere in the '3' of the 4-2-3-1.

Sissoko and gouffran both drift a fair bit too so can't imagine Ben arfa will be stuck to wide again and will spend time through the middle, when he played in middle before he looked a little lost as other players weren't doing much on flanks so space was never opening up for him

I think the idea of Ben Arfa as a 'false 9' could potentially be very successful, especially with players such as Sissoko, Marveaux, Anita, Cabaye and Gouffran behind and supporting. Besides being a tad rusty, we didn't- as a team- play high and wide enough to support Ben Arfa, creating space or dragging their defence out of shape. I've said it time and again: our transitions from defence to attack are appalling (as well as movement when in possession), and until that improves a system with Hatem as the false 9 wont fulfil its potential. Stop playing so direct, get him in between the lines, receive to face forward and support him. Then we'll start to see the benefits.

Guest palnese

I think the idea of Ben Arfa as a 'false 9' could potentially be very successful, especially with players such as Sissoko, Marveaux, Anita, Cabaye and Gouffran behind and supporting. Besides being a tad rusty, we didn't- as a team- play high and wide enough to support Ben Arfa, creating space or dragging their defence out of shape. I've said it time and again: our transitions from defence to attack are appalling (as well as movement when in possession), and until that improves a system with Hatem as the false 9 wont fulfil its potential. Stop playing so direct, get him in between the lines, receive to face forward and support him. Then we'll start to see the benefits.

We have nowhere near enough movement in our side for that to work.

Aye, exactly. Until we get a coach who is capable of working with players of this calibre then its not really going anywhere, which is a massive shame.

Aye, exactly. Until we get a coach who is capable of working with players of this calibre then its not really going anywhere, which is a massive shame.

tbf the false no9 only really works when you have the calibre of xavi, bousquets, messi etc to pull it off. has anyone else worked it successfully without a very high calibre of player who have been in the system for a long time ?

Guest VanBarduck

tbf the false no9 only really works when you have the calibre of xavi, bousquets, messi etc to pull it off. has anyone else worked it successfully without a very high calibre of player who have been in the system for a long time ?

Britton,DeGuzman -- Michu

Gerrard,LucasLeiva -- Suarez

SiemDeJong,Poulsen --Eriksen

The false 9 position works when you have hard-worker's players with tactical awareness and great football intelligence, the only player of that sort in our team is Cabaye , Tioté and Sissoko have a lot of qualities , strong , power, decent technique but I don't think you could called them "football scientists"  ;D