Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

He's never got 10 goals or assists at any club in his whole career.  Even when he's made between 40 and 50 appearances.  Pardew has got more end product from him than any other manager in fewer games.

Doesn't tally with Pardew being to blame for inhibiting him.

Ben Arfa sitting on the bench is in no way inhibiting him.  :lol:

Struggling to see the point of a pass percentage stat for a player who's responsibility is to create and damage the opponent directly.

:lol: It's one of the most pointless graphs yet.

His highest score according to that is versus Hull which was his worst starting performance of the season and one of his lowest versus Villa when he ran the show.

Am I missing something?  It's supposed to be the higher the better, is it?  Or the higher the less selfish?  Well, so what - he was shite against Hull after a superb performance against Villa and since then he's largely been played out of position or benched.

Struggling to see the point of a pass percentage stat for a player who's responsibility is to create and damage the opponent directly.

His highest score according to that is versus Hull which was his worst starting performance of the season and one of his lowest versus Villa when he ran the show.

Am I missing something?  It's supposed to be the higher the better, is it?  Or the higher the less selfish?  Well, so what - he was s**** against Hull after a superb performance against Villa and since then he's largely been played out of position or benched.

Utterly pointless stat unless you are Leon Britton or somebody s*** like that with no flair

I don't think I'm missing anything like - that point in the graph where it's taken a nosedive leading to a long spell on the bench was when he was playing centrally against Everton, which appeared to be Pardew's solution to him playing one poor game in his best position, ironically when he passed more than in any other game this season.  The stats aren't what they seem.

He's never got 10 goals or assists at any club in his whole career.  Even when he's made between 40 and 50 appearances.  Pardew has got more end product from him than any other manager in fewer games.

Doesn't tally with Pardew being to blame for inhibiting him.

Ben Arfa sitting on the bench is in no way inhibiting him.  :lol:

He's playing a blinder with him man, Mick.

What Pardew should be focusing on is not Ben Arfa's work rate but his off the ball movement which is in need of improvement and would create havoc.

His problem is he doesn't know where to move, learning from the likes of Ozil, Suarez, Silva etc etc would do him wonders and actually make playing him centrally a worthwhile subject.

As it is we are discussing something which is meaningless and getting further and further away from getting the best from our most talented player.

For this he needs to play, and for everything else. That's what he lacked during all his career, nobody trusted really in him, and Pardew is still not trusting in him completely.

Every time there have been something, behaviour problems, injuries, tactical concerns. The only times he had the opportunity to be a starter during several months without those problems, he has been good and very helpful for his team. Since he's playing for Newcastle he has improved a lot, in his behaviour, in his work rate, in his game. Despite the lack of game plan, the critics of his coach, the injuries, he's still showing a good attitude and he deserves to play because his team need him.

I don't think Pardew doesn't like him, but he has his own ideas and Hatem doesn't fit. So, Hatem can be a problem for him, not because of his work rate or because he holds too much the ball. Hatem is a special player but he simply needs to play football, with a game plan, team mates with good technique and good movements. I don't think it's too much to ask. Pardew should make changes not only for the team, but also for him as a coach. If he wants to be a top coach, he needs to improve in the game. He's made the first thing to do, he found a balanced team with a good spirit, the next thing to do is to find how the team can play better while keeping the team balanced. He has the players to do it, he just needs to use them.

What Pardew should be focusing on is not Ben Arfa's work rate but his off the ball movement which is in need of improvement and would create havoc.

His problem is he doesn't know where to move, learning from the likes of Ozil, Suarez, Silva etc etc would do him wonders and actually make playing him centrally a worthwhile subject.

As it is we are discussing something which is meaningless and getting further and further away from getting the best from our most talented player.

i'm not sure he's one of those players that learns, it's all natural. all a manager can do with him is try to give him confidence and fit him into a team. not as easy done as said.

Am I missing something?  It's supposed to be the higher the better, is it?  Or the higher the less selfish?  Well, so what - he was shite against Hull after a superb performance against Villa and since then he's largely been played out of position or benched.

It's not a "score".

I've said previously that the Hull game was where he passed most...but was one of his worst performances.  I make no link between those 2 whatsoever.

I'm used to, and expect, Ben Arfa to pass the ball less than any other player.  But he's becoming more frustrating on that front.  The graph was only showing that trend.  I was interested in his frequency of passing and how it has varied because the Arsenal game seemed to me a particularly greedy day for him.  It seems to me his proclivity to hold onto the ball whenever he gets it, rather than to pass, is becoming more and more pronounced.

It says nothing whatsoever about his own performance level (incredible versus Stoke), how much he was able to create or how he positively or negatively impacted the team/game.  It was posted in response to Wullie who suggested he might only hold onto the ball more if he's frustrated at not getting playing time.  But he's passed the ball quite a bit when coming back from spells on the sidelines, and the trend only goes down afterwards.

ALAN Pardew is ready to freshen up his Newcastle United side at The Hawthorns – with Hatem Ben Arfa foremost in his thoughts.

Ben Arfa came off the bench in Sunday’s 1-0 defeat to Arsenal at St James’s Park.

And the forward – who made his first start in almost two months on Boxing Day – energised Newcastle as they pressed for an equaliser late in the game.

United manager Alan Pardew – whose side face Cardiff City in the FA Cup on Saturday – is considering whether to hand Ben Arfa a start against managerless West Bromwich Albion tomorrow.

Pardew admitted after the Arsenal game that there were “tired legs” in his team – and a “fresh” Ben Arfa gives him a welcome option for The Hawthorns.

“I certainly kept Hatem back, as I felt we would get tired, and maybe he would win us the game,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“I thought him being fresh could win us the game. He did look fresh.

“We had a couple of tired legs out there, and you’d expect that.

“Towards the end there were two or three moments, mainly from Hatem, that just didn’t fall for us, and that was the difference.”

Asked whether there would be changes against West Brom and Cardiff, he added: “Maybe a couple of changes here and there in the next two games.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/fresh-ben-arfa-in-pardew-s-thoughts-ahead-of-newcastle-s-visit-to-west-brom-1-6343765

All the graph shows is that he's dropped after 1 particularly greedy game, not that there is a continuing trend of him getting greedier and greedier the longer he plays.

Well actually, a pass/touch % over 6, 2, and 5 (sub) game periods shows us nothing at all, but that's the picture that graph paints.

stuff the graphs and stats. he had a couple of poor games and he's not someone who is even nuisance value off the ball. we know he is a complex character and I guess that he was performing in training like he was in those games.

stuff the graphs and stats. he had a couple of poor games and he's not someone who is even nuisance value off the ball. we know he is a complex character and I guess that he was performing in training like he was in those games.

Most likely.

Everyone in football says the 90 minutes fans see at the weekend play a small part in managerial decisions based on a week spent in training.

He'll be back in the side, you can clearly see how much Pardew rates him as he's always speaking so highly of him. Frustrating he's putting so much emphasis on his work rate but at the same time you can sort understand his point of if Robben/Ribery do it at Bayern, why can't he? Won't be long before he's a permanent fixture in our side again, he's simply too good to have a season as an impact sub and Pardew knows it.

Would start him against west brom, their defence is v poor and Olson is out by the looks of that knee pic. Let him loose. It'll be villa away all over again

and sissoko looked shot  last game.

Thought the same about Gouffran, wouldn't mind seeing Hatem come in for him. Mainly because Sissoko is in my fantasy team :D

Would start him against west brom, their defence is v poor and Olson is out by the looks of that knee pic. Let him loose. It'll be villa away all over again

I'd go for Remy, Cisse and HBA up front. (Just like Villa)

I'd love for us to give that a run, not just for one or two matches.

Guest VanBarduck

Just found a 15mins long video of him on YT simply entitled "Ben arfa". 

the description of the vid is

15 minutes showing the amazing skills, speed, strength, ball control, solo runs, dribbling skill, amazing goals, passing of ben arfa a complete footballer who can do it all.
  :sweetjesus:

15 minutes showing the amazing skills, speed, strength, ball control, solo runs, dribbling skill, amazing goals, passing of ben arfa a complete footballer who can do it all apart from score from there ffs.

Fixed.

15 minutes showing the amazing skills, speed, strength, ball control, solo runs, dribbling skill, amazing goals, passing of ben arfa a complete footballer who can do it all.

He's shit man, have you not seen the graph?

2:08 :o

He's shit man, have you not seen the graph?

Jesus wept. When did anyone suggest he's shit?.

and sissoko looked shot  last game.

Thought the same about Gouffran, wouldn't mind seeing Hatem come in for him. Mainly because Sissoko is in my fantasy team :D

But Gouffran's in my fantasy team. Proper dilemma this.