Bolton 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 26/12/11 - post-match reaction from page 33

Dave

Very important win and I think we all realise that.

Ironically we probably played worse than in any of the recent games but did keep it tight in midfield.

Williamson, surprisingly, covered second most distance in the game which is encouraging and also showed what a decent no frills defender he is.

only thing im surprised about is how well he played as a first game considering how long he's been out,  but then again how much was he tested tonight when you look at the shamble of a team bolton are,

last season had me convinced willo and colo was the best combo we had,  and then taylor came back with a vengeance this season.

taylor is faster than willo and more of a goal threat from corners,  but is there anything in taylor's game that we can say is much better than willo?  think we got two decent defenders there.

Krul  6

Simpson  5

Williamson  7

Coloccini  7

R.Taylor  7

Obertan  6

Tiote  6

Cabaye  7

Jonas  5

Ba  8

Best  4

Ben Arfa  7

Shola  4

Agree with all of this like. Chuffed with the win.

Krul  6

Simpson  5

Williamson  7

Coloccini  7

R.Taylor  7

Obertan  6

Tiote  6

Cabaye  7

Jonas  5

Ba  8

Best  4

Ben Arfa  7

Shola  4

Agree with all of this like. Chuffed with the win.

How can you agree with Krul 6?

I thought he was absolutely outstanding again, apart from one miskick.

Did you watch a different game? He got to every cross and that free kick save man. I don't give two hoots about his kicking if he makes saves like those, especially when not called upon for long periods.

What did he do to make him such a 'liability'?

Did you watch a different game? He got to every cross and that free kick save man. I don't give two hoots about his kicking if he makes saves like those, especially when not called upon for long periods.

Gave away possession every single time he had the ball. I do give a hoot about his kicking when he invites pressure following every single attempted pass. It was exactly the same against West Brom and we conceded directly from a goal-kick. He flapped at a couple of crosses today too.

It was a good palm away but i would expect him to make saves from those types of efforts.

He's an outstanding young keeper but fuck, i'm sick of his woeful distribution.

His distribution has got worse, he's still young and improving so i hope he's working on it more, but doesn't strike me as a keeper with confidence in passing the ball. Odd since in every other way seems bristling with confidence, and justifiably

Guest neesy111

Gave away possession every single time he had the ball. I do give a hoot about his kicking when he invites pressure following every single attempted pass. It was exactly the same against West Brom and we conceded directly from a goal-kick. He flapped at a couple of crosses today too.

It was a good palm away but i would expect him to make saves from those types of efforts.

He's an outstanding young keeper but fuck, i'm sick of his woeful distribution.

Keeper has a massive responsibility for how they distribute the ball.

I don't think you do it justice there tbh, discussion about his distribution aside. Just goes to show how good he is already though I guess.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

I think you're being harsh on Krul. Yeah his distribution was poor but other than that he made no mistakes bar the miss-kick

Delighted to get the 3 points today, really didn't expect us to. When Ben Arfa scored it went absolutely mental, terrific atmosphere made even better by getting them 2 goals in such quick succession. 

Still annoys me that for 90% of the away games this season we are taking the lowest allocation  :idiot2:

Part of the long ball/hoofing it football needs to be sorted with him being told to throw the ball out more often.

Which is as clear a clue as any that Pardew's decided we're better off going long ball at the minute, earlier in the season Krul was throwing it out at every opportunity. That said, Saylor helped out massively with that side of things so he's a miss. Teams just have to mark Colo now and they know no-one else in the defence wants it.

Just got back, urgh. Needed a few pick-me-up pints after the match, but they don't seem to have helped because I'm still in a pit of desperation and despair.

For what it's worth, despite it being a totally sh*t game, I think we were just about in control of the match the first hour without bothering Tim Krul at all. Our midfield pairing of NRC and Muamba shackled the duel threat of Cabaye and Tiote in the centre well, and there wasn't much going on with the wingers despite us having the worst full-backs in the league with Boyata and Robinson. Petrov did okay, but the strikers (in particular N'Gog) offered absolutely nothing - Willicini certainly proved that last year's result was a fluke.

Two substitutions changed the match: HBA on for Best, and Eagles on for Muamba. Now, I appreciate OC was going for a win, but taking off your defensive midfielder who was integral to snuffing out the opponents' biggest threat (imo) is tantamount to tactical suicide. And it showed within 5 minutes - Eagles lost the ball, it was crossed in and HBA was left UNMARKED to put it in the corner.

Fast-forward 60 seconds, and as I feared, Obertan finally got beyond Robinson (who really is a pub player these days), Ba got the better of Cahill whose mind was already in South West London and made it 2.

The problem is that 5 years ago, we actually had a solid spine to the team, and that showed with resilient play even if it was unattractive, pragmatic football. Going a goal down wouldn't faze us. Now, we have a soft centre, and as soon as the first goal went in, I knew that was it. Heads were down and we just rolled over.

Given your second half performance and our lack of one, you were the deserved winners - good luck for the rest of the season.

As for us, it's a case of 'what might have been'. If you're not winning home games, you're going to go down - simple as. The way I see it, we're probably going to get somewhere around 30 points this season, which is inevitable relegation. It's hard to know where to proceed from here. I can't see Coyle going any time soon - there were hardly any dissenting voices at the Reebok despite the "getting sacked in the morning" chant by you lot; just a resigned acceptance to our fate - but we have 12-14 players out of contract in the summer. On today's showing, I wouldn't offer any of them a new contract, and just rebuild with the youngsters.