Bolton 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 26/12/11 - post-match reaction from page 33

Dave

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Just got back, urgh. Needed a few pick-me-up pints after the match, but they don't seem to have helped because I'm still in a pit of desperation and despair.

For what it's worth, despite it being a totally sh*t game, I think we were just about in control of the match the first hour without bothering Tim Krul at all. Our midfield pairing of NRC and Muamba shackled the duel threat of Cabaye and Tiote in the centre well, and there wasn't much going on with the wingers despite us having the worst full-backs in the league with Boyata and Robinson. Petrov did okay, but the strikers (in particular N'Gog) offered absolutely nothing - Willicini certainly proved that last year's result was a fluke.

Two substitutions changed the match: HBA on for Best, and Eagles on for Muamba. Now, I appreciate OC was going for a win, but taking off your defensive midfielder who was integral to snuffing out the opponents' biggest threat (imo) is tantamount to tactical suicide. And it showed within 5 minutes - Eagles lost the ball, it was crossed in and HBA was left UNMARKED to put it in the corner.

Fast-forward 60 seconds, and as I feared, Obertan finally got beyond Robinson (who really is a pub player these days), Ba got the better of Cahill whose mind was already in South West London and made it 2.

The problem is that 5 years ago, we actually had a solid spine to the team, and that showed with resilient play even if it was unattractive, pragmatic football. Going a goal down wouldn't faze us. Now, we have a soft centre, and as soon as the first goal went in, I knew that was it. Heads were down and we just rolled over.

Given your second half performance, you probably just edged it overall - good luck for the rest of the season.

As for us, it's a case of 'what might have been'. If you're not winning home games, you're going to go down - simple as. The way I see it, we're probably going to get somewhere around 30 points this season, which is inevitable relegation. It's hard to know where to proceed from here. I can't see Coyle going any time soon - there were hardly any dissenting voices at the Reebok despite the "getting sacked in the morning" chant by you lot; just a resigned acceptance to our fate - but we have 12-14 players out of contract in the summer. On today's showing, I wouldn't offer any of them a new contract, and just rebuild with the youngsters.

Good review. I still think if they pick their game up they can edge survival but it's not looking good at the minute.

I enjoyed reading that post.

Have a bit of class. The bloke's come on and wished us luck.

???

I enjoyed reading it as well, always good to read a balanced opinion from the opponents.

Good luck jukeboxromeo, hope you somehow stay up. There are plenty of teams I'd rather see get relegated than you.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Just got back, urgh. Needed a few pick-me-up pints after the match, but they don't seem to have helped because I'm still in a pit of desperation and despair.

For what it's worth, despite it being a totally sh*t game, I think we were just about in control of the match the first hour without bothering Tim Krul at all. Our midfield pairing of NRC and Muamba shackled the duel threat of Cabaye and Tiote in the centre well, and there wasn't much going on with the wingers despite us having the worst full-backs in the league with Boyata and Robinson. Petrov did okay, but the strikers (in particular N'Gog) offered absolutely nothing - Willicini certainly proved that last year's result was a fluke.

Two substitutions changed the match: HBA on for Best, and Eagles on for Muamba. Now, I appreciate OC was going for a win, but taking off your defensive midfielder who was integral to snuffing out the opponents' biggest threat (imo) is tantamount to tactical suicide. And it showed within 5 minutes - Eagles lost the ball, it was crossed in and HBA was left UNMARKED to put it in the corner.

Fast-forward 60 seconds, and as I feared, Obertan finally got beyond Robinson (who really is a pub player these days), Ba got the better of Cahill whose mind was already in South West London and made it 2.

The problem is that 5 years ago, we actually had a solid spine to the team, and that showed with resilient play even if it was unattractive, pragmatic football. Going a goal down wouldn't faze us. Now, we have a soft centre, and as soon as the first goal went in, I knew that was it. Heads were down and we just rolled over.

Given your second half performance and our lack of one, you were the deserved winners - good luck for the rest of the season.

As for us, it's a case of 'what might have been'. If you're not winning home games, you're going to go down - simple as. The way I see it, we're probably going to get somewhere around 30 points this season, which is inevitable relegation. It's hard to know where to proceed from here. I can't see Coyle going any time soon - there were hardly any dissenting voices at the Reebok despite the "getting sacked in the morning" chant by you lot; just a resigned acceptance to our fate - but we have 12-14 players out of contract in the summer. On today's showing, I wouldn't offer any of them a new contract, and just rebuild with the youngsters.

:thup:

You need some new bodies as a matter of urgency.

???

I enjoyed reading it as well, always good to read a balanced opinion from the opponents.

Good luck jukeboxromeo, hope you somehow stay up. There are plenty of teams I'd rather see get relegated than you.

same, typical after putting up with Bolton during the shitty periods when everyone bar Bolton fans wanted them down that just when they become likeable enough they go to shit

Given your second half performance and our lack of one, you were the deserved winners - good luck for the rest of the season.

Very good and fair post. I particularly agree with the point made on the replacement of Muamba which, unless he was injured, was a ridiculous decision.

The inevitable loss of Cahill (who I'm not a massive fan of) will hit you badly as it's going to take a replacement a month or so worth of games to get settled. Time you don't have.

I'd be using more of Kevin Davies as a battering ram and slamming high balls into the box. Football wouldn't be pretty but it may be effective. Today it seemed to me that your midfield were efficient without ever looking like they had the quality to create regular chances.

Not having a go just reflecting on the match. FWIW I hope you stay up as I'm a fan of Coyle and what he did with you lot last year.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Guest Heneage

Is there any sort of money available in January?

I showed class by informing the bloke I enjoyed reading his post, which I did.

It's pleasant seeing another oppositions supporter wishing us good luck.

You looked into my comment to much, Yorkie.

Guest sicko2ndbest

there will be when Cahill goes!

With the Cahill sale, most likely. Coyle said he wants three players. I think it depends if we're adrift on NYD really because otherwise we're throwing good money after bad.

Amazingly, we'll most likely be out of the relegation zone if we beat Wolves on NYE - however, given how abject we've been at home this season, we'll probably lose. Either way, we have a difficult January: Everton A, Man U A, Liverpool H, Arsenal H.

Guest Heneage

With the Cahill sale, most likely. Coyle said he wants three players. I think it depends if we're adrift on NYD really because otherwise we're throwing good money after bad.

Amazingly, we'll most likely be out of the relegation zone if we beat Wolves on NYE - however, given how abject we've been at home this season, we'll probably lose.

Any names or players you'd like and think the club could potentially get?

Thanks for that review. Last season you had an attacking threat from Elmander and (for the latter part) Daniel Sturridge, you also had Holden available and Kevin Davies in better nick than he is now. That's a lot of gaps and they haven't been filled. Tough job for Coyle..

Amazingly, we'll most likely be out of the relegation zone if we beat Wolves on NYE - however, given how abject we've been at home this season, we'll probably lose.

We haven't really been linked with that many people actually: Josh McEachran on loan and Nedum Onuoha seem to be the names that are popping up regularly though, oh, and an American centre-back we've been trialling - Tim Ream.

I'd like Onuoha. I doubt McEachran would get many games. Don't really know much about Ream to be honest.

Guest Heneage

We haven't really been linked with that many people actually: Josh McEachran on loan and Nedum Onuoha seem to be the names that are popping up though, oh, and an American centre-back we've been trialling - Tim Ream.

As an MLS viewer, I'd say Ream is a good player but still quite raw. I still don't know if he'd qualify for a WP.

Be nice to see McEachran move north though.