Liverpool vs Newcastle United - 30/12/11 @ 7.45pm (live on Sky) pre-match thread

Dave

Liverpool's José Enrique hoping for good reception from Newcastle fans

The Liverpool full-back José Enrique is hoping for a positive reception from the Newcastle United fans when he makes his first appearance against his old club on Friday.

Enrique moved to Anfield in August for a fee in the region of £6m, calling the transfer "one of the happiest days of my life", but said he still feels close to the Newcastle crowd.

"I had very good moments there … They have amazing fans, it is an amazing city. I still love Newcastle and will do all my life. But I play for Liverpool now and I want three points because it is important that we get them.

"I hope the fans understand why I moved. I gave everything for Newcastle, I always gave 100% and nobody can say any different. I played in the Championship after they got relegated. I wanted to stay and help because I was part of the reason that we dropped out of the division.

"But an opportunity to play for Liverpool came along and I couldn't refuse it. We are one of the best teams in Europe. You cannot say no when a team like Liverpool comes for you."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/29/liverpool-jose-enrique-newcastle-fans

Yeah, José, it just came right out of the blue. It's not as if you spent a year stalling on your contract in the hope that a CL club -- or even Liverpool -- might come in for you.

Hope this Scousito gets booed every time he touches the ball.

He's not a cunt and I wouldn't boo him.I was gutted to see him go but I always liked him while he was here ad thought he was a good guy.there are a lot of cunts in football and I don't think he's one of them

Only came into contact with the lad once, past him and Coloccini in the Metro Centre.  I said hello as I went past and Coloccini turned round as he was walking, smiled and waved.  Enrique didn't even react, so my opinion is Colo's class and Enrique's a cunt, maybe not exactly thorough but I'm sticking to it :lol:

Got to wonder whether he's regretting the decision to go there. He bought into big transfer fees and the mythical reputation, not got him anywhere nearer the Spain squad and not playing CL football.

He's good enough to play for anybody and he's made the wrong move.

Guest neesy111

He definitely made a mistake but so did city when they bought clichy.Jose is much offensively and defensively.only major flaw with his game these days is shooting,his crossing has improved loads

Enrique isn't that good offensively.

He definitely made a mistake but so did city when they bought clichy.Jose is much offensively and defensively.only major flaw with his game these days is shooting,his crossing has improved loads

He was in the second half of last season for us.

Guest neesy111

I seem to remember him being particularly poor at the back end of last season tbh.

I seem to remember him being particularly poor at the back end of last season tbh.

Ah shit aye, I forgot, his body language was off kilt.

His skill on the ball is great,he wont score many but he'll get assists and do loads of build up play neesy.either way,he's a fairly complete player for a LB

His build-up play is first rate, but he lacks a cutting edge around the box.  Similar to A. Cole.

"But an opportunity to play for Liverpool came along and I couldn't refuse it. We are one of the best teams in Europe. You cannot say no when a team like Liverpool comes for you."

Hey José, go fuck yourself.