The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Guest bimpy474

Atkinson is a shite ref, didn't even give a free kick when De Jong broke Ban Arfa's leg, that among many bad decisions at Man City last season.

Pure shite, simply not good enough to ref this level.

The "raise your hands" rule is absolutely ridiculous imo.

How, out of interest?

Because 99% of the time it's absolutely harmless and just handbags. Unless somebody's been chinned I don't see any justification for it. It causes danger to nobody and it doesn't affect the game negatively in the same way a cynical tackle to stop an attack might. Yellow card offence, let's stop being such a bunch of tarts.

Guest ykmkmdd

Ref has to make allowances for the conditions in the Stoke match - Huth is a dirty git but that was no way a red, didn't even have one foot up, never mind 2!

Guest bimpy474

Huth never a sending off. No studs showing, not two-footed, just a bit late.

Sending off is bad enough, but three-game ban for that is absolutely crazy.

That'll be recinded i reckon.

How, out of interest?

Because 99% of the time it's absolutely harmless and just handbags. Unless somebody's been chinned I don't see any justification for it. It causes danger to nobody and it doesn't affect the game negatively in the same way a cynical tackle to stop an attack might. Yellow card offence, let's stop being such a bunch of tarts.

:laugh: Just a disclaimer, i'm all for getting rid of nancyness in football.

However, i don't think there's ever a justifiable reason to raise your hand to another player's face. I don't think it's very sporting and a sending off is a fair punishment. Rules like that are in play to prevent mass brawls, which do happen from time to time, which are very ugly and disrupt the flow of the game. There's nothing more likely to get a crowd of players involved than a hand to the face.

That being said:

I think for Cisse to miss three games for what he did is a bit harsh. Obviously, if 'raising your hands' came in the form of punching someone, you'd be banned retrospectively and given an extra five games punishment, or something. In this case, 'raising your hands' has come in the form of grabbing the guy's chin for a second - one game would suffice.

If anyone was to win the Stoke/Sunderland game, i'd rather the Mackems. They won't sustain their good form and Stoke pose more of a threat when it comes to challenging the European places.

:jesuswept:

Eh? I'm wary of Stoke. I'm not wary of the Mackems - their form will have deteriorated once O'Neill's honeymoon spell is over. A draw would be best but i'd rather Sunderland get three points than Stoke, if someone has to.

:dontknow:

Apparantly if you go abroad, they regard British refereeing as the very best. Bit of a joke tbh, as the standard in this country is absolutely abysmal.

Apparently to who? Think European refereeing and any I've seen in WC football is worse than anything I've seen in this country.

Apparantly if you go abroad, they regard British refereeing as the very best. Bit of a joke tbh, as the standard in this country is absolutely abysmal.

Apparently to who? Think European refereeing and any I've seen in WC football is worse than anything I've seen in this country.

Just something I read online. FIFA giving the World Cup Final to Webb backed that up, although he did a fine job of ending that myth. Pretty much every game over here revolves around a bad decisioin now, especially this season. In some cases their hands are tied by the laws of the game, but many calls - like the Luiz/Ba one - are all wrong.

How, out of interest?

:laugh: Just a disclaimer, i'm all for getting rid of nancyness in football.

However, i don't think there's ever a justifiable reason to raise your hand to another player's face. I don't think it's very sporting and a sending off is a fair punishment. Rules like that are in play to prevent mass brawls, which do happen from time to time, which are very ugly and disrupt the flow of the game. There's nothing more likely to get a crowd of players involved than a hand to the face.

That being said:

I think for Cisse to miss three games for what he did is a bit harsh. Obviously, if 'raising your hands' came in the form of punching someone, you'd be banned retrospectively and given an extra five games punishment, or something. In this case, 'raising your hands' has come in the form of grabbing the guy's chin for a second - one game would suffice.

I don't agree at all, I think players are far more likely to go in for a mass brawl if they think somebody's put one of their colleagues in real danger with a bad tackle rather than someone giving another player's cheeks a squeeze. Players trying to cheat is another spark, as we saw the other night with Ryan Taylor.

Someone mentioned Nicky Butt and David Batty the other day, having each other by the throat in the 5-0. Both would have been sent off today and to what end? I don't see how that rule is good for the game at all. Grown men sometimes do daft stuff in the heat of the moment, the FA need to get over that and hand the decision back to the refs.

Such hypocrisy is spoken about it imo. Example - Gervinho gives Joey Barton a little push in the face, Barton goes down - general reaction "It's a red card but Barton's no need to go down, he's hardly been touched" - then how the fuck is it worthy of a red card and a three game ban if he's hardly touched him?? :lol:

I totally agree with the point that if you do it, you deserve to go for stupidity because you know the rule - but the rule is wrong. Stupidity's not enough to justify three game bans when you can do a Solskjaer, kick someone's legs out from under them when they're through on goal in the last second... and get one game.