NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I think he was saying Anita/Tiote + Sissoko and Marveaux as a 3 man centre mid not as Sissoko and Marveaux out wide.  And if we sold Cabaye and went with that where would the midfield depth be?  You'd probably have:

Anita

Sissoko          Marveaux

As first choice and then:

Tiote

Bigi                    Perch/Vuckic?

As second choice.  That's a shocking second string.  We need to buy a quality midfielder, not sell one.

I think he was saying Anita/Tiote + Sissoko and Marveaux as a 3 man centre mid not as Sissoko and Marveaux out wide.  And if we sold Cabaye and went with that where would the midfield depth be?  You'd probably have:

Anita

Sissoko          Marveaux

As first choice and then:

Tiote

Bigi                    Perch/Vuckic?

As second choice.  That's a shocking second string.  We need to buy a quality midfielder, not sell one.

I'd probably stick Jonas here in a second string midfield.

I don't even think 'replace' would be the correct term, given that Cabaye has never been given a certified role within the team. I believe a balanced, effective midfield can be conjured from a squad of Sissoko, Anita, Marveaux, Tiote, Bigi and Vuckic - and as fond of him as I am as a technical footballer, I honestly couldn't pin-point what we'd be losing if Cabaye went (through no real fault of the player, tbh). If the money was spent elsewhere on players that will suit whatever system Pardew plans to enforce next season, I could live without a 'significant' CM coming in. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it went on a couple of effective orthodox wingers, for example, I couldn't really complain.

Load of absolute rubbish, Yorkie.

There's that charm again.

What's the point in wasting money on another Cabaye, when the one we've lost could never consistently contribute? We might as well draw a line through the idea, re-evaluate what players will work with this manager, and do something more suitable with the money received. If Pardew wants to play more rigidly, don't go and get another Cabaye.

I am certain everyone was talking about how much we improved when Cabaye returned from injury.  In my opinion he will be greatly missed, will be very difficult to replace and i'd like our first choice midfield to be:

Cabaye

Sissoko      Marveux

I am certain everyone was talking about how much we improved when Cabaye returned from injury.  In my opinion he will be greatly missed, will be very difficult to replace and i'd like our first choice midfield to be:

Cabaye

Sissoko      Marveux

I don't want us to sell Cabaye, not by any stretch of the imagination. I think the guy's a supremely talented player.

But we're in a period where the management harbours a completely different set of footballing principles to what we do. In an ideal world, we'd have a different manager who could make use of the talent he's got at his disposal - but that isn't happening. If you discount 11/12 as an apparent anomaly, compare and contrast the season before and the season after: Pardew worked better with a dynamic based on percentages, rigidity and a modicum of flair. He isn't going to produce that with the squad he's got so, if he's still the manager, he might as well make the best out of his preferred strategy.

I just don't see the point in us making a like-for-like switch when that player was never utilised to their full potential, or to the maximum benefit to the team.

Krul

Zouma          Colo      Yanga-Mbiwa

Sissoko        Anita

HBA                          Cabaye                  Marveaux

Aubameyang

Cisse

Sorted.

Not really.

Tiote's crap, Anita's a wrong fit and Marveaux has a terrible injury record. Anyone advocating selling Cabaye without replacement needs a slap.

If Anita's a wrong fit, then in what position is Cabaye a right fit in your ideal team? Both are on the smaller side to be playing as a defensive midfielder and neither is really suited to getting forward into attacking positions. Cabaye would be a best fit in a continental side for me, one that sat back and counter attacked with him being a deep lying midfielder who could pick the passes.

Tiote's crap, Anita's a wrong fit and Marveaux has a terrible injury record. Anyone advocating selling Cabaye without replacement needs a slap.

If Anita's a wrong fit, then in what position is Cabaye a right fit in your ideal team? Both are on the smaller side to be playing as a defensive midfielder and neither is really suited to getting forward into attacking positions. Cabaye would be a best fit in a continental side for me, one that sat back and counter attacked with him being a deep lying midfielder who could pick the passes.

I quite agree that Cabaye is far better suited to other leagues. In the PL for us he'd have the deepest midfield role.

Think of Cabaye goes there could well be something in the Leroy Fer rumours - be a very dynamic midfield 3 with him, Sissoko and Anita/Tiote in there.

Didn't Fer fail a medical in January at Everton? Would be surprised if we'd risk £8m or whatever he'd cost on a crock.

If Cabaye goes, and I hope he doesn't, the best bet, imo, would be to play Anita as a deep-lying playmaker, a role he's best suited for, with Sissoko as one of two box-to-box central midfielders protecting him (we'd need to get another). Maybe Fer could be that player.

If Cabaye goes, and I hope he doesn't, the best bet, imo, would be to play Anita as a deep-lying playmaker, a role he's best suited for, with Sissoko as one of two box-to-box central midfielders protecting him (we'd need to get another). Maybe Fer could be that player.

Like that will happen under Pardew. :lol:

Agree though. :thup:

Like that will happen under Pardew. :lol:

Agree though. :thup:

Who am I kidding, we'd lose Cabaye and have a midfield three of Sissoko-Jonas-Tiote. :lol: